Desert Spring

Old 11-16-04, 01:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desert Spring

I recently installed the Desert Spring Furnace Humidifier, and nothing the humidity level has not even increased 1%. I have seen it suggested that you connect the water feed up to the hot water, but this seems kinda flaw'd to me because after the water sits in the tray for about an half hour it will turn cold. Anybody got any ideas to help me out?

Old 11-16-04, 01:59 PM
Have you watched the unit as the furnace runs? May be something simple that you can see is not working. Most are pretty simple operations.(float not letting enough water in, pads not picking up water etc).

Old 11-16-04, 06:45 PM
Wink

You sure you have it on I looked at the wire lay out and I see no way it will turn on. But from the humidity control. You have to have a A50 current sensing relay there. So when the furnace blower turns on it turns the humidifer on .From then on the humidity control takes over.
And yes it is better to tie into a hot water line .You dont get as much junk in the water that way.

ED

Old 11-17-04, 07:58 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
DS is not good enough

I have a similar problem with DS. I installed it last fall and I never get above 40% humidity in the wintertime. (it is much better than it was before - 25%)

It make some changes but it definately does not evaporate enough water to make humidity 45-50%. Company claims it can evaporate N galons per day - they definately do not tell you the truth.
For this season I will probably have buy few portable humudifiers for bedrooms.... sad...

Old 11-17-04, 09:00 AM
Wink

Turn your blower on in the day and let it run will help some for more humidity.

ED

Old 11-18-04, 10:22 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
I tried this. Cold air will not produce much humidity even running 7/24.

Old 11-20-04, 07:21 AM
Scotaku
Visiting Guest
The furnace fan should not be controlling the action of the humidifier. The fan should only be used as a source of power to provide the transformer power for the humidistat to control the operation of the humidifier drum.

Make sure that your circuit runs from the drum motor to the humidistat to the transformer and then to power. If you use the fan's switch, you can shut both the fan and humidifier down with one throw of your switch for any maintenance or cleaning you do.

As for the humidity in the house not changing, double check your installation. You should have the damper on the warm side with the opening at least an inch above the water tray for the drum assembly on the return side. The humidistat should be somewhere above the drum assembly also on the return side. The damper from the warm side should be open (go figure!) and the humidistat should be cranked to anything but the 'off' position. At full tilt, the drum should be rotating in response to the humidistat not sensing enough moisture in the returning air from the house.

IIrc, the instructions were to place the hygrometer in a fixed place somewhere in the house (preferably where you spend most of your time). Crank the humidistat all the way over and allow the house to rise in humidity over a period of days keeping an eye on the hygrometer for a healthy 40-50%. When you've reached that point or otherwise feel comfortable, turn the humidistat down while the fan is running so that the drum stops rotating. That sets the humidistat to keep the house at the level of comfort you've reached with a few days' watch.

I really like my Desert Spring. I'm not very fond of the AutoFlush option though. It wastes a lot of water that the float does a much more tidy job of maintaining. I may have my EE buddy reprogram it for bi-weekly flushing instead of 48 hours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: