Aprilaire and saddle valves

Old 12-02-04, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire and saddle valves

I would like to replace the installed saddle valve of my Aprilaire 760 with a copper T and ball valve. Can anyone give me a reason that this would not be a good idea? I am not a fan of saddle valves, and I don't think the humidifier is getting an adequate supply of water to properly humidify our home.

Old 12-02-04, 08:45 AM
AMEN !!! Saddle or "needle" valves have a habit of clogging up with mineral deposits. There is no reason not to use a tee and valve assembly. You'll be glad you did. Good luck.

Old 12-02-04, 10:58 AM
M
Talking

I have the Aprilaire 760 and saddle/needle valve. I find that I can adjust the flow rate to the humidifier nicely each winter and think an open ball valve would allow copious amounts of water to needlessly go down the drain. Am I wrong, or is it a good idea to adjust the flow so that it is adequate without being excessive.

Old 12-02-04, 11:08 AM
Most humidifiers I have seen have a float to monitor the amount of water allowed to enter the pan. If this is so, it would not matter what the supply line is, as it is shut off by the float. With a bad saddle valve you won't know there is a problem until you realize that you are not getting any humidity. Biggest problem I have seen with saddle valves is in ice makers.

Old 12-02-04, 11:15 AM
M
These Aprlaire 760 don't use a float or bowl; they just have water cascade down an evaporative "pad" while a fan pulls air through, absorbing moisture. The unabsorbed water passes down the pan into the drain.

Old 12-02-04, 11:23 AM
Wink

That valve you have there now in the saddle will go into that T you put in th water line just bush it down. Also go on a hot water line will help for humidity and keep that pad cleaner.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: