Hooking up a Honeywell

Old 12-29-04, 07:03 PM
ejohnson1100
Visiting Guest
Hooking up a Honeywell

I recently hooked up a Honeywell 220A humidifier to my Ducane furnace (MPGA series I believe). I only want to humidifier to run when the furnace kicks in. I've got the humidifier hooked up to the humidistat and all ready to plug into the furnace but when I look at the wiring diagram for the furnace I only see one spot marked "HUM". Where do I hook up the other wire?

Old 12-30-04, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just one screw that marked humid? Should be another, unless the wire drawing on the blower door says something diffrent.. maybe it needs to be tied up to the common side?

Old 12-30-04, 06:56 AM
ejohnson1100
Visiting Guest
I know that I'm not allowed to use attachments on here. I've got the wiring diagram in front of me and can scan it so you can all know what I'm talking about; I just need to know how to post it.

Old 12-30-04, 07:25 PM
go ahead and e mail it to me.

Old 12-30-04, 07:59 PM
Look for a terminal marked neutral. May be abbreviated N or NEU... The one marked HUM provides the hot side of the power probably only when the burner is running. Also, you may find you want to be able to run the humidifier by turning on the fan manually from the thermostat. If so, you may need to find another source for the hot side. Look for a terminal marked for an air cleaner (can't remember how mine was abbreviated, but it was fairly obvious).

Doug M.

Old 12-30-04, 09:10 PM
ejohnson1100
Visiting Guest
We have old windows so our furnace runs all the time. You said "Look for a terminal marked for an air cleaner (can't remember how mine was abbreviated, but it was fairly obvious)." Were you possibly thinking of the EAC line?

OK, I tried to hook the one end to HUM and the other to one of the two spots below it that were marked N (from top to bottom it goes HUM, EAC, N, N) I tried HUM and the first N and the motor for the Humidifier started smoking. After I shut off the power again I tried switching the wires. When I turned on the power again I got nothing, not even smoking. Any advice before I try the other N?

Last edited by ejohnson1100; 12-30-04 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-31-04, 09:49 AM
Both N terminals will be the same. Yes, the EAC terminal is probably the "electronic air cleaner" connetion you might want to use. The terminals on the furnace are providing 120 volts. The humidifier should have come with a small transformer that hooks up to the furnace terminals. This humidifier doesn't have a motor so I'm not sure what was smoking, but it was probably the selonoid. Check all the wiring. Running 120 volts through a system made for 24 could have damaged any or all of it. Please read the installation instructions carefully. If you don't have them, they can be downloaded.

Doug M.

Old 01-01-05, 04:45 PM
Sounds like you hooked up the 24v wires onto a 120v.. :-( So you may have to replace the water valve. (no motor on this unit.)

Old 01-02-05, 10:36 AM
ejohnson1100
Visiting Guest
Now that you guys mention it there were about two or three different methods of getting it hooked up to power (good thing I kept everything). Is the valve something that I could pick up at Home Depot, Lowes, or even better...a local hardware store?

Old 01-02-05, 03:20 PM
Get things hooked up correctly first. The water valve doesn't make much more than a small click when it comes on. Like I said, check all the wires.

Doug M.

Old 01-03-05, 05:56 AM
ejohnson1100
Visiting Guest
New problem. I hooked the wrong lead from the transformer to the load from the furnace. When I turned on the power to the furnace the transformer made a puff of smoke so I turned the power off.

I unhooked the transformer, turned the thermostat up above room temp. and turned the furnace back on I heard a click (like normal) but the blower didn't turn on. What did I do to the furnace?

** Thanks for all your help but I'm calling an expert before I do some other stupid thing and blow up my house **

Last edited by ejohnson1100; 01-03-05 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 07:31 AM
Probably either blew a fuse or blew the furnace board. Time to cut your losses and bail out. Actually, it's past time... Please call in a pro. I wouldn't mess around any more. You may be spending more now on repairs than you would have spent to have the humidifier professionally installed to begin with.

Doug M.

Old 01-03-05, 10:50 AM
dmwisniewski
Visiting Guest
Hi,

You may want to use a mechanical sail switch. I did this on my furnace with a similair humdifier. The sail switch is nice because it will detect air flow in the cold air return duct, and close the circuit the humidifier. From there the humidifier will turn on from the humidistat. This way when the furnace kicks in, thus the blower, it will turn on the humdifier as it takes a humidity sample from the cold air return.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: