How To Fix Humidity In My Basement

Old 01-04-05, 02:42 PM
rlepore
Visiting Guest
How To Fix Humidity In My Basement

Hello. I have a quick question: I'm in the process of finishing my basement & in the summer time my basment gets mildly humid & kind ok stinky. I had a small dehumidifier that worked ok but now that I'm going to have a few big rooms as opposed to one big basement what is that best way to eliminate the humidity? My basement is approximately 1600 sq ft. I heard of some kind of unit that one can use where there are "tubes" installed behind the walls that produces air & helps eliminate the humidity...any thoughts or advise?? Thank you in advance

Old 01-04-05, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make sure you have no wet areas (Leaks).. If it's all dried, once you put insulation on the outside wall, and get supply vents, and returns hooked up.. You'll be fine since you wll have air movement when the system is running.

In the summer leave at least 1 vent open to keep the air moving when the A/C is running.

Old 01-05-05, 07:29 AM
rlepore
Visiting Guest
Hello Jay. I'm confused about your reply. I don't have any type of unit & no A/C in my basement. I'm asking if there is some type of product I can purchase now while my walls are open??? Thank you again for your feedback, Rocco

Old 01-05-05, 09:24 AM
What do you have in your home for heating and cooling for the main living area?

Old 01-05-05, 11:46 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
One solution is:
Buy portable dehumidifier (Kenmore, whirlpool, Gold Star, Santa Fe) with capacity more than 70 pints per day and option to connect to the drain.
All you need to have is a drain for now...

it is good to have options:
Electronic Humidistat Control
Automatic Shut Off
Automatic Defrost

Some of them designed to operate at low temp (down to 55F) - good feature for basements

the worst thing about all portable dehumidifiers is that almost all of them are too loud, so try to find relatively quiet one.

Old 01-05-05, 11:50 AM
rlepore
Visiting Guest
thank you for your feedback

Old 01-05-05, 04:15 PM
Do you have forced air system in your home now?

Old 01-13-05, 03:26 AM
N
have to fix problem

If one is bleeding to death they don't find a bucket to catch the blood but stop the bleeding. You have to take steps to prevent the moisture. Extending gutter down spouts out to 10 feet and no flower beds next to house within 6 feet of home. Some grading may be needed but try the above solutions first. If you have a forced air furnance I would put a return vent in from basement use that vent in summer to pull cooler air upstairs as well as remove humidity this will cut down on your electric bill too. One last thing you will need to put a grill on basement door so pressures can equalize upstairs and down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: