Humidistat (Sorry, LONG POST)

Old 03-09-05, 06:14 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidistat (Sorry, LONG POST)

Let me start by saying that I am not an HVAC professional. With that said, I want to thank some of the members here who helped me install a Carrier, Totaline humidistat to my existing AprilAire 550 humidifier. Unfortunately, right out of the box, the first Totaline H-stat wouldn’t even power up and the second, although it did power up, would not control the humidifier. It too was defective!

Since my love for Carrier H-Stats quickly faded, I set out on a search for an alternative. What I found is a RiteTemp 8085C; it’s a thermostat but can also control a humidifier in heating mode and can de-humidify in cooling mode.
I know; almost everybody I talked with said RiteTemp Stats are junk, but after hooking it up and using it for a few weeks, I can say it is NOT junk and has worked flawlessly in controlling the temperature and humidity in my home. Plus, RiteTemp includes a 1-800 phone number for technical support, which I used a few times myself. You talk to a real person and I must say they were very helpful!

For starters, the thermostat portion of this unit measures temperature in 0.5 degree increments for a more accurate temperature control. The humidistat portion uses a different method of controlling humidity than the H-stat units that incorporate an outdoor sensor and only supply humidification while the furnace is running.

The RiteTemp unit has a fast acting humidity sensor; you set the min and the max, the H-stat does the rest. I have the min on mine set at 30% and the max set at 35%. When the H-stat senses a drop in humidity below 30%, it starts the humidifier and the air handler until the H-stat senses 35% humidity; and then it shuts off the humidifier and the air handler. The thermostat continues to cycle the furnace based its call for heat regardless of what the humidistat is doing. The only thing is; I had to tap into the hot water line to supply the humidifier so it would add humidity while the furnace is in its off cycle.

Showers and cooking can throw the H-stat off for a while but over the long haul, it has been able to maintain the humidity in my home between 32% and 35% based on a mechanical humidity sensor located near the thermostat.

As for de-humidification, it works the same way. Set the min and max and the H-stat energizes the condensing unit and the air handler regardless of whether the thermostat is calling for cooling or not.

I can’t comment on how well the RiteTemp works as a de-humidifier in cooling mode because it’s still winter here, but in heating mode, it’s awesome.

You pro’s shouldn’t write off RiteTemp stats as junk so quickly. Check them out, you might be as surprised as I was!
Phil

Old 03-09-05, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I have the min on mine set at 30% and the max set at 35%. When the H-stat senses a drop in humidity below 30%, it starts the humidifier and the air handler until the H-stat senses 35% humidity; and then it shuts off the humidifier and the air handler.
I think if you check the body likes humidity from 40% to 65%. When it turns on just the humidifier and blower dont you get cold air comeing out of the registers
Showers and cooking can throw the H-stat off for a while but over the long haul, it has been able to maintain the humidity in my home between 32% and 35% based on a mechanical humidity sensor located near the thermostat.
This is why its better to have the humidistat on the cold air duct so it can say what the whole house humidity is and needs.

ED My .02 cents

Old 03-09-05, 11:08 AM
Ed.

Depending on where the person is at, Really shouldn't be over 35% in the winter in the cold northern states.. Otherwise, the window will be dripping wet!

Phil,

When you said it runs in dehumid, w/ the A/C running, I hope you are not running the A/C with the outdoor temp lower than 50 degrees??

Old 03-09-05, 11:20 AM
Wink

jay

I think you had better read some books on it.

And yes I have set in snow to gas an AC unit that was low on freon so it could run and cool down a room. A good AC unit will have a crankcase heater on it. So you can run them any time

ED

Old 03-09-05, 11:56 AM
P
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
I think if you check the body likes humidity from 40% to 65%. When it turns on just the humidifier and blower dont you get cold air comeing out of the registers

This is why its better to have the humidistat on the cold air duct so it can say what the whole house humidity is and needs.

ED My .02 cents
Ed,
The reason I moved the humidistat to the living space is because of the ever changing temperature conditions in my area. For example, yesterday morning it was in the upper forties/lower fifties.... today it's barely pushing 20 degrees. Under these conditions, if I didn't adjust the old duct mounted H-stat prior to the drop in temperature; I would wake up with a lot of condensation on my windows. Then, if I didn't re-adjust the H-stat again when the temps go on the rise, I would wake up with a dry, crusty nose.

I understand that it's better to have the H-stat in the ductwork but because my life doesn't revolve around going to the basement to adjust the H-stat, I moved it to the living area.

As for humidity, everything I’ve read indicates the recommended human comfort range for relative humidity is 30% to 60%. At 35%, I’m in the ballpark. Also, people with asthma (like my wife) should not increase the humidity levels in their home too much because dust mites thrive in higher humidity. I think in my case, maintaining a relative humidity of 35% is perfect!

I use one of those indoor/outdoor digital thermometers with one probe to measure the temperature at the register in the living room and the other to measure room temperature. With just the fan on (no heat) the air at the register is about the same temperature as room temperatures. (give or take a few tenths of a degree) So no, the air coming out of the registers is not cold, it’s the same temperature as the air in the room.

Since I installed the RiteTemp thermostat I haven’t had to make any humidistat adjustments. I get no condensation on my windows, I haven’t had any “dry nose syndrome” and in general, my house feels more comfortable!
Phil

Old 03-09-05, 12:02 PM
P
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Ed.

Depending on where the person is at, Really shouldn't be over 35% in the winter in the cold northern states.. Otherwise, the window will be dripping wet!

Phil,

When you said it runs in dehumid, w/ the A/C running, I hope you are not running the A/C with the outdoor temp lower than 50 degrees??
Jay,
It's not an Auto Changover stat so No, it won't try to dehumidify when it's in heat mode. Same holds true for cooling, the humidifier cannot be energized while in cooling mode.

I doubt I'd ever run the A/C when it's lower than 50 degrees.
Thanks for the tip!
Phil

Old 03-09-05, 01:04 PM
Wink

Could use a H1008A,D humifity control and let it work with a outside temperature senor. If your happy with what you have go for it

ED

Old 03-09-05, 03:38 PM
P
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Could use a H1008A,D humifity control and let it work with a outside temperature senor. If your happy with what you have go for it

ED
Ed,
Yeah, I could but the TempRite is working out great!!!!!
I'm not about to change-up now.
Phil

Old 03-14-05, 06:12 PM
Scotaku
Visiting Guest
What tells you the RiteTemp 8085C has a humidistat or even a humidifier controller? I've just finished poring over their site and can't find anything of the sort.

Old 03-16-05, 07:02 PM
P
Originally Posted by Scotaku
What tells you the RiteTemp 8085C has a humidistat or even a humidifier controller? I've just finished poring over their site and can't find anything of the sort.
Scotaku,
Go Here:
http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/...IBOE_8085C.pdf

It's a .pdf file; go to the last page which is page 13. It will explain about the humidity control!
Phil

Old 03-17-05, 04:36 PM
Scotaku
Visiting Guest
Talking

Cool! er... Neat!

I did not find that on their site. I think I've found my new 'stat.

Old 05-22-05, 09:53 AM
P
Phil,

If you have Ritetemp Tstat w/built-in humidity control why you need additional humidistat.

I just bought a Ritetemp 8085 and plan not tu use the mech H-stat that came with the humidifier.

Old 05-22-05, 09:37 PM
he used this to control the humidty in the summer for the A/C.. from what i read, it can only be used one way or another.

Old 05-22-05, 11:12 PM
P
Jay,

Ritetemp can control the humidity level with heater, fan, and A/C per below from manual so I still don't see why Phil installed the Hstat.

Maximum Humidity setting (Requires air conditioning and COOL mode)-
This thermostat can be used to de-humidify by turning on the air conditioning
as a function of humidity. Cooler air cannot hold as much moisture.
To set the MAX humidity level desired -
ï From the MENU screen and touch MAX.
ï Use the up/down arrows to set the MAXimum humidity level you desire.
NOTE: The air conditioner will then be controlled by both humidity and/or temperature.
Either one coming on will reduce the temperature and the humidity.
Minimum Humidity setting (requires a built-in humidifier and HEAT mode)-
This thermostat can be used to humidify by turning on a humidifier in the
furnace. Connect the H terminal on the 8082C to the humidifier control relay.
To set the MIN humidity level desired -
ï From the MENU screen and touch MIN.
ï Use the up/down arrows to set the MIN humidity level you desire.
NOTE: When the humidifier is turned on, the fan will also come on automatically.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: