Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Reload this Page >

Wiring help Honeywell 360A Powered Humidifier to Lennox G40UH to RiteTemp 8082 Tstat

Wiring help Honeywell 360A Powered Humidifier to Lennox G40UH to RiteTemp 8082 Tstat

Old 05-21-05, 06:26 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wiring help Honeywell 360A Powered Humidifier to Lennox G40UH to RiteTemp 8082 Tstat

Need help wiring a powered humidifier to the furnace and to a programable thermostat with built in Humistat. I wish to control the humidifier with the thermostat and not with the supplied mechanical humistat that was supplied with the humidifier.

Furnace has HUM-H (120V) and HUM (Neutral) terminals.
Old thermostat has W,Y,G,R, and C (not used tucked into the wall).
New thermostat has: C,H (to control humidity),W2,RC,O,B,RH,W,Y,G,A

There is an ON/OFF swith receptacle attached to furnace.

Questions:

1. How to power and wire the humidifier to the furnace and thermostat?

2. Should I add a plug to power the humidifier to ON/OFF switch or should I run wires from HUM-H and HUM (Neutral) to a new plug to power the fan in the humidifier.

3. I would like to have the option of running humidifier to run with HEAT ON or OFF (FAN only), how?

Reference:

Thermostat pg. 18:
http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/...de_current.pdf

Humidifier wiring diagram: http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline...stallation.pdf

Furnace installation and wiring diagram:
http://pirl.lennox.com/C03e7o14l/76E0ZC21u/505011a.pdf

Maybe my questions are repetitive but want to make sure I tackle all potential questions I may have up the stream.

Thanks,
Electrically challenged Mechanical Engineer.

Old 05-21-05, 10:22 PM
Ok, from what I gather, is that the T-stat will "Steel" power from the furnace transfromer to power the humidifier. So tie the H to the extra wire that is tucked back into the wall, and then at the furnace, tie to that wire to the water valve itself on the humidifire itself, and then other wire back to C on the furnace..

DO NOT use the HUM on the furnace..

Old 05-22-05, 07:45 AM
P
Jay thanks for your quick reply, so just to make sure:

Tie wire from humidifier to "H" in Tstat
then tie other wire from humidifier to "C" in furnace
then tie "C" in furnace to "C" in Tstat (to power Tstat).
Finally plug the humidifier to 120V outlet in wall (not messing with the HUM 120V terminals in furnace)

Last edited by parainstalar; 05-22-05 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 05-22-05, 10:34 PM
Ok, Hope you didn't do anything yet.. My bad... I didn't not look to see what model of Humdifier you had.. The by-pass model would work, not the power unit.

This will NOT work with your T-stat. Your T-stat is using power from the furnace itself to power the humidfier.. Your model of humidfier use it's own power..

So you will have to use the humid control that came with the humidfrier.

Old 05-22-05, 11:59 PM
P
I don't see why it would not work, I woud guess the signal from the Tstat would cycle a relay internal to the humidifer to operate solenoid and humifier fan. (not sure there is a relay inside the humidifier though, I will have to check). The power to operate the humidifer (fan and solenoid) would come from its internal transformer 120V->24V.

Is this set-up still incorrect:
1. H from Tstat ties to humidifier to operate relay internal to humidifier(assuming there is an internal relay in the humidifier)
2. C from furnace powers Tstat (back light, internal programming, remote control).
3. Second wire from humidifier ties to C in furnace.
So C in furnace would have two wires one coming from humidifier, other going to Tstat.

Probably this makes no sense, so please explain why it would not work.

Old 05-23-05, 08:24 AM
The Reason this won't work is that your humidifier had a built in transfromer (24 volts). If you wired the red wire from the humid to H on the t-stat, and it calls for humidty H will have 24 volts from the furnace, so when you met 24 volts to 24 volts will be a "short" and may burn out both transformer.

I was unable to pull the pdf file on the t-stat to see if they suggest anything on this set up.

Only thing you could do is add a contactor coil so l will report back when the web sight lets me download the pdf file.

Old 05-23-05, 01:34 PM
Ok, I was able to pull the file up at last.. ANyway, Your T-stat will NOT work with the humidfier that you have..

Couple things you can do...

-Get a by-pass humidfier.
-Use a contactor/relay coil
-Get a diffrent T-stat and use the humidstat the comes with the unit, and I suggest it be mounted on the return duct to get a good reading vs it being in one room, and only get that room.

Old 05-24-05, 03:54 PM
P
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Ok, I was able to pull the file up at last.. ANyway, Your T-stat will NOT work with the humidfier that you have..

Couple things you can do...

-Get a by-pass humidfier.
-Use a contactor/relay coil
-Get a diffrent T-stat and use the humidstat the comes with the unit, and I suggest it be mounted on the return duct to get a good reading vs it being in one room, and only get that room.
Jay,

I took apart the humidifier and actually there is an internal contactor relay in it. Also there is a 115/24V transformer, 115V powers humidifier fan, 24V powers humidifier solenoid.

Therefore, since there is a contactor relay already in the humidifier I should not need another relay??

So far the connections I am planning to do are:

Humidifier plugged to 115V

Humidifier to Tstat:
-One Hum wire to H
-Other Hum wire to (RH jumped to RC) ==> (would this connection work??)

Furnace to Tstat:
-C to C
-Y to Y
-G to G
-W to W
-R to (RH jumped to RC)

Anything out of wack with above scenario?? Thanks as always.

Last edited by parainstalar; 05-24-05 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 05-24-05, 10:14 PM
No, your plan still will NOT work.. one wire from the humidfier still is 24 volts, and Rc/Rh is also 24 volts from the furnace..

Old 05-26-05, 04:36 PM
P
Originally Posted by Jay11J
No, your plan still will NOT work.. one wire from the humidfier still is 24 volts, and Rc/Rh is also 24 volts from the furnace..
Jay,

You are right I measured 27V coming from humidifier, I called ritetemp and they insist to tie humidifier to H and RH in Tstat, it makes no sense, I made it clear to them humidifier is putting 24V and that RH is also 24V.

I am confused and don't know how to proceed, unless the Tstat has diodes to block 24V from humidifier the setup will not work.

Why RiteTemp insist the setup will work, they could not give explanation, their answer was: The book says so and then hanged up on me.

Old 05-26-05, 07:49 PM
They maybe guessing that you have a by-pass model vs the power one you have..

If you wanted to,you can add an single pole contactor w/ 24 volt coil.

So i would do it this way..

H from t-stat to 24volt coil, other side of coil to C on furnace.

Then Red to one side of contactor, and White to other side of contactor

Not sure if you have a Graniger in your area?

Old 05-27-05, 05:03 PM
P
Jay,

Sorry one last question just to make sure, don't want to go by wire colors since my hum has different colors than the ones you mentioned: two yellow wires and two red (red ones are not used they tie to an optional Honeywell controller)

Humidifier plugged to 115V
(Yellow) Humidifier wires to each side of 24V coil
24V coil wires to H in Tstat and C in furnace
Furnace C to C in Tstat

Thanks !!

Old 05-28-05, 05:29 PM
One side of the Yellow wire to the one side of the contactor, and other side of the contacotor.

The on the coil side of the contactor, one side to H from the t-stat, and other side to C

Humid----Yellow------ contactor/---------Humid

T-stat "H"-----------contactor coil-------- Furnace C

Old 12-16-05, 12:15 AM
D
Jay,
I have nearly the exact situation, except I'm using a Lennox WP2-18 power humidifier and the RiteTemp 8085C with humidistat.

Unfortunately, I wired my system as described at the beginning of this thread (based on advice from HVAC guy). The first time I kicked the system on, it worked fine ... humidifier was running, water flowing, etc. But when I kicked off the humidistat control, it popped the fuse in my furnace. Now, my humidifer won't come on at all, even when I re-wired it with the supplied mechanical humidistat and undid what I had done. I'm assuming I've burned the relay and/or transformer. I haven't pulled the unit apart yet to see if I can determine what damage I did and fix it.

I've spent many hours now trying to figure this out, talking with RiteTemp support (for what it's worth) and other HVAC guys. My Dad even owns a heating and cooling company and none of his guys were sure what to do. I'm an electrical engineer and still couldn't figure it out ... primarily because I can't find good schematics for all the components to trace the circuits down.

So, it sounds like the contactor is the way to go to get this configuration working with the central RiteTemp humidistat. Do you have a recommendation/part number for the contactor that should be used?

Thanks in advance.

-Dwayne

Old 12-16-05, 08:21 AM
Just a simple 24 volt coil, single pole will work..

I will try to look for a part # tonight when I get home from work.

Old 12-16-05, 09:03 AM
D
Thanks Jay.

For the time being, I've removed the control board inside the humidifer. I tied the fan to 120 VAC power cord and will drive the solenoid independently by tying one solenoid wire directly to "H" on the thermostat and the other solenoid wire to "C" on the furnace.

I believe this is how a standard bypass humidifier would be wired with a central Tstat/Hstat. The solenoid is 24 VAC, 500 mA max.

The only down side for now is that the fan in the humidifier will run constantly as long as it's plugged into an outlet. But, until I can test the transformer and relay on the control board and replace the burned components, it should work to get some humidity in this house.

Let me know if you see any issues with wiring it this way.

Thanks.

Old 08-06-07, 12:47 PM
M
Have you resolved this issue yet? I have an Aprilaire by-pass humidifier and I have the same question. It has a separate transformer so it doesn't appear the 8085C supports this. Should I run the humidifier off the furnace transformer? How does this get wired?

Thank you

Old 03-12-08, 01:23 AM
K
Recommendation on Humidifier

I am also running the Ritetemp 8085C on a Lennox Merit Series G40UH, and I have a few questions about which humidifier I should buy. My blower/fan does not run continuously, so I would like to use the Ritetemp 8085C's built in humidistat to control both the humidifier's fan and the humidity level. Basically, when the Ritetemp sends a call for heat, I want the humidifier to turn on and produce humidity, but only when needed based on current humidity level.

1. What type of humidifier would you recommend for this application? I would prefer to use a powered humidifier over a bypass model if it is possible to wire the Ritetemp 8085C's humidistat to the unit. I would also prefer to use the Lennox WP2 series if possible. If so, is it easily accomplished? If not, what do you recommend? I have a 5 wire cable run in-wall to the Ritetemp (blue is currently unused and tied back), and I have enough electrical outlets to run 110v, but I'm not sure about the wiring for a 24v power source. Can I do what I want to do with what I have currently installed?

2. Would you recommend a Box Media Air Cleaner (such as the Merit Series BMAC Box Media Air Cleaner)? Any thoughts?

3. Are there any other "additions" to the system Merit Series system I can make to improve the in house air quality, such as a Germicidal Light air purification system? If so, what would you recommend (i.e. can I use an Elite series UV-500 or UV-1000 with the merit series system?). If so, is the installation relatively straightforward?

I'm pretty new on the HVAC front, but I'm pretty confident that I can get this "right" if all the components will integrate without too much trouble. Thank you!!!

Old 03-12-08, 10:45 AM
That stat is going to need a A50 Relay to tell the humidifier that the furnace fan is running, or wire an outlet to the board to power up the humidifier when ever the blower is running.

Originally Posted by Kambot2000 View Post
1. What type of humidifier would you recommend for this application? I would prefer to use a powered humidifier over a bypass model
Why powered unit over bypass?

I perfer bypass over powered unit, it's quieter, and less things to go wrong, and also bypass can be mounted on the return duct to less the risk of water damage to the furnace itself.

2. Would you recommend a Box Media Air Cleaner (such as the Merit Series BMAC Box Media Air Cleaner)? Any thoughts?
I like the Honeywell F100 or F200 Media air cleaner or Aprilaire. The filters for these guys can be found at Home Centers like Home Depot. Lot cheaper than getting the Lennox's filter from the dealer.

3. Are there any other "additions" to the system Merit Series system I can make to improve the in house air quality, such as a Germicidal Light air purification system?
Best thing is have fresh air brought into the home either by an Air Exchanger (HRV) or Fresh Air Damper system. UV light can work, but bulbs are not cheap.

Old 03-12-08, 09:48 PM
K
Jay,

You're the man! I'll check into the A50 relay and go from there. I also like the thought of reducing the risk of water damage to the furnace (in case something goes wrong with the installation or the humidifier), and I like the thought of not having to pay $90 for a filter. As for the fresh air, the house is nowhere close to airtight, so I'll skip the light and exchanger system. Thank you!!!

Kam

Last edited by Kambot2000; 03-12-08 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-22-08, 09:35 PM
Z
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One thing you wont have with the Ritetemp is automatic dew point sensing so you might get alot of condensation as the weather gets colder. This is more of a problem the further north you go so if your down south you might be OK. I was in your situattion and replaced my Ritetemp with a Honeywell IAQ. Glad I did..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: