GE dehumidifier HOT

Old 06-29-05, 07:49 AM
Riz
Visiting Guest
GE dehumidifier HOT

Hello, I have GE free-standing room dehumidifier (about 30" tall x18"x18"). Recently it has started getting SO hot when it runs that the whole room heats up. It's not that old. I have cleaned the coils etc. but that's not where the heat is coming from. I took the cover off and ran it and it is the compressor that is getting blistering hot when it runs. I think it's the compressor anyway, it's the tank-like unit mounted on a triangular vibration absorbing base. Any ideas why this is getting so hot? It is no longer under warranty.
THANKS !!

Old 06-30-05, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only thing I would say is that unit is under a higher load.. It has been pretty humid the last few days..

Also warmer the room is, it will make more heat...

Old 06-30-05, 06:13 AM
Riz
Visiting Guest
Thanks, but it's not just the last few days, it's ongoing. I also have had it in several places to work on it and as soon as I turn it on it heats up. WAY too hot.

Old 07-04-05, 01:45 PM
earlycj5
Visiting Guest
I just bought a new one today because my "GE" did the same thing.

Internals are LG in the "GE" which I purchased an LG today.

Had the GE for less than 1 year. It worked fine this spring then we started noticing the room getting warmer and warmer. The dehumidifier was extremely hot to the touch so we quit running it.

Initially my reaction was also, ah, just higher humidity it's summer. But when the room became noticeably warmer I stopped using it. The new one seems to be working fine. I had both of them set to 70%. The LG I purchased today cycles on and off. The GE stopped cycling and just ran all the time.

Refrigerant?

Old 07-09-06, 08:53 AM
G
HOT dehumidifier Sears brand

My dehumidifier produces exhaust air hot enough to warm my basement 10 degrees. Problem began about 2 years after I bought it, a medium size Sears. I probably overworked it -- it has a hose and ran during the winter. Only answer is to chuck it and get another?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Don Otenlong

Old 07-09-06, 10:18 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
70% rh to high set it to 50%

Old 07-09-06, 09:54 PM
G
Red face set to 50%

Dear Airman,
Please clarify: 70% rh to high

Thank you,
Don O.

Old 07-10-06, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
earlycj5 Has his set to 70 % Which is way to High! Should be around 45-50%.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: