non condensing dehumidfier?

Old 06-29-05, 08:20 PM
ariane
Visiting Guest
Question non condensing dehumidfier?

We just purchased a house with an EZBreathe dehumidfier. Our inspector has advised us that this product is not a particularly good idea. We live in Ohio and the house is a 2000sq foot bungalow (50 yrs old). Does anyone have any opinions about this product?

Old 06-30-05, 12:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am not sold on these unit.. Why??

When this unit runs, it has to pull air out of the house. Now that air is pulled, it has to made up some how.. Now you bring the hot humid summer air into the A/C'ed home adding more humdity. making your A/C work harder trying to pull out the humidty.

If you windows are open, and still some what mild, and humid.. you bring in that humidty in anyway... it's not going to be removed.

same as in the winter, you pull out your warm heated air outside of the house, and has to be made up..

Old 12-04-07, 10:26 AM
T
EZBreathe Works

EZBreathe works. It is essentially an air exchanger. One of the biggest problems with basements, and homes in general is lack of ventilation.

EZBreathe improves the basement by expelling damp air from the basement floor, and pulling conditioned air from upstairs. It uses that conditioned air from upstairs to condition the basement or crawlspace.

It is true that eventually all replacement air comes from outside. Who is against fresh air? Check out the EPA/American Lung Association studies on indoor air quality.

The gradual introduction of fresh air, no matter what the humidity or temperature, into the home is healthy. And you won't notice a cold draft in the winter, or a hot blast in the summer. The mix of that outside air, with the inside air, quickly brings it to an acceptable level.

Furthermore, as soon as the humidistat detects that you have hit your humidity goal, the unit will stop. This keeps you from expelling conditioned air.

Your EZBreathe has a 10 year warranty, contact the manufacturer if you have any other questions or concerns.

Old 12-04-07, 12:13 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jay is right on the money! Don't waste your money. I will agree that homes need fresh air but not 24 hours a day.

Old 03-10-09, 11:29 AM
T
Fresh air is a good thing!

I would gladly trade fresh air for basement air any day of the week. Commercial building codes have always required fresh air induction, and though the residential codes haven't caught up, most air quality experts agree that fresh air is a necessary ingredient of a healthy home.

Old 03-10-09, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by timpc
I would gladly trade fresh air for basement air any day of the week. Commercial building codes have always required fresh air induction, and though the residential codes haven't caught up, most air quality experts agree that fresh air is a necessary ingredient of a healthy home.
Tim,

Looks like you woke up a dead thread.

I agree the home should have fresh air, but ideal way of doing this is having the air treated before it comes into the house.. Like HRV/ERV (air exchanger) system.

Not all area has code on this, but I think most of them do now days.

Old 03-10-09, 07:51 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The poster is in Ohio. Bringing in un dehumidified air would be worse than the basement air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: