Coils Do Not Cool

Old 07-11-05, 05:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coils Do Not Cool

Working on a Whirlpool Dehumidifier model AD0302XS2. First time working on a dehumidifier.

Symptom: coils do not cool and no water is taken out of the air.

Fan works. Humidistat Works. Compressor seems to run and gets warm, but the coils do not cool.

Deicer thermostat has continuity and power is getting from the Deicer Thermostat to the Overload Protector (OLP). OLP has continuity and power is getting from the OLP to one terminal of the Start Relay.

The OLP and Start Relay are in the same plastic housing. The Start Relay plugs into the Compressor, which has three male connectors. The Start Relay has three female connectors – one hot (from the OLP) and two neutral. There is no continuity between the two neutral connectors of the Start Relay. Is there supposed to be continuity?

The three male connectors of the Compressor all have continuity. Is this the way it should be?

So … what does all of this indicate? I’m not sure what is supposed to have continuity and what is not. Is it a bad Start Relay? Bad compressor? Or am I dealing with a refrigerant leak?

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other tests that I can run to help in the diagnosis of the problem?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-05, 08:41 PM
If the compressor is warm, it's runing.. How does the discharge line feel?? Hot?
suction? Cold?

It the discharge is warm, not hot, then you are low on charge... best to get a new unit.

Old 07-12-05, 02:27 PM
G
After running for 30 minutes, the compressor gets hot and the small copper tubing that goes from the condensor to the compressor is very hot. (I'm assuming that this is the discharge line.)

After the unit is turned off, the discharge line becomes room temperature very quickly.

What does this tell you?

Old 07-12-05, 03:41 PM
G
Update

After turning the unit off in the above test (see above), the compressor was still hot to the touch after one hour; warm after 2 hours. Don't know if this means anything.

Old 07-12-05, 08:32 PM
Humm... hard to say... if the discharge is hot, but the coil is not cooling, something is not right..

Maybe a pinch in a line somewhere??

Old 07-12-05, 09:06 PM
Wink

Id say your out of freon there. Also sounds like the unit could have a potential starting relay on it. thats why the one dead wire. If this unit has R12 forget it.

ED

Old 07-13-05, 05:30 AM
G
Can I Bypass the Start Rely?

The unit does have a Start Relay.
- What is the purpose of the Start Relay?
- How do I determine if the Start Relay is good or not?
- When the start relay is removed, there are three male prongs in the compressor that form a triangle - two prongs on the top and one on the bottom.
o the bottom prong seems to be where the red/hot wire connects
o the top left prong seems to be where the white neutral wire connects
o I'm not sure what the top right prong is for.
- Can I bypass the start relay by connecting power directly to the prongs on the compressor? If so, what would I connect the top right prong to?

Does this question make sense?

Old 07-13-05, 07:25 AM
Wink

The compressor is cooled by the freon as it comes back as a gas to the compressor. You said it runs but get hot. So Id say you can be low on freon. There is not much in there to start with.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: