Where to drain my basement dehumidifier?

Old 05-30-06, 02:02 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to drain my basement dehumidifier?

I have no floor drain in my basement. The house was built about 7 years ago in PA. I mistakenly ran the dehumidifier drain into a closed-in bathroom rough-in which obviously eventually filled up , but didn't overflow too bad before I caught it.

I could tap into the condensation drain that drains down through the concrete slab from the A/C and furnace. But I'm worried that this would this present a problem, dumping so much water underneath the house (the dehumidifier is probably filling up with about 5 gallons of water per day), and I'm wary of making that decision considering my track record so far (see above).

Anybody have any thoughts on this, or any other options. I'd like to avoid having to tap into any of the larger drain lines in the basement, most of which I'd have to pump the water up to also. Thanks much for any feedback you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 02:27 PM
Noosh, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You could buy a small condensate pump and run the plastic tubing wherever it is best. Maybe even out a window for the summer. Good luck.

Old 05-30-06, 08:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Without a floor drain, I can't think of anything other than pumping it up and out like majakdragon suggested.

Old 06-01-06, 06:53 AM
N
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably wind up pumping it outside like you said. You'll probably see many more questions from me as my basement finishing project continues.

Old 06-01-06, 07:42 PM
R
Originally Posted by Noosh
I have no floor drain in my basement. The house was built about 7 years ago in PA. I mistakenly ran the dehumidifier drain into a closed-in bathroom rough-in which obviously eventually filled up , but didn't overflow too bad before I caught it.

I could tap into the condensation drain that drains down through the concrete slab from the A/C and furnace. But I'm worried that this would this present a problem, dumping so much water underneath the house (the dehumidifier is probably filling up with about 5 gallons of water per day), and I'm wary of making that decision considering my track record so far (see above).

Anybody have any thoughts on this, or any other options. I'd like to avoid having to tap into any of the larger drain lines in the basement, most of which I'd have to pump the water up to also. Thanks much for any feedback you can offer.

I would also have the AC drain into a pump. That hole in the floor will eventually, not accept anymore water.