Humidifiers needed on HVAC

Old 10-03-06, 04:11 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidifiers needed on HVAC

We have 3 zone HVAC units that were put in over 5 yrs ago. My husband put a 3rd one in in the event we expand our 4 BR home. We'd like to run a humidifier for the upstairs bedrooms since we have forced hot air and it's so dry. What is the cost for these units? Is it a big job? (my DH is pretty handy and is a civil engineer so he's familiar with plumbing and other things). Also, the one company I called said that they wouldn't put a unit in the attic (where the HVAC unit is for the bedrooms) due to the risk of flooding. Any thoughts/precautions on that? We got a quote ranging from $400-$800 including labor. DH feels he could do it himself. Best way to prevent flooding? Thanks...

Old 10-03-06, 06:51 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
In no way am I a fan of central humidifiers! (I'm pretty much alone on this) I think they don't do a great job, can waste a lot of water,or have maintence issues. That being said Your contractor was wright about not putting in the attic for fear of freezing. At my home I run a table top 1.5 gallon humidifier this is a steam type. I can see when its time to clean, refill. Also I don't run my bath exhaust fans in the dead of winter.

Old 10-03-06, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding a humidifer in the attic is NOT a good ideal. Toooo risky of freezing, then lead to flooding.

Is this furnace the only one for the whole house?

Otherwise, just go with a freestanding unit in the hallway or near the bedrooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: