Humidifier Help (space limitations for Return Duct Mounting)

Old 10-24-06, 11:19 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Humidifier Help (space limitations for Return Duct Mounting)

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what my options are for a badly needed humidifier on a new Bryant furnace in my 1250 sqft (2500 with basement) home.

I recently had my furnace relocated so it wasn't the focal pointo of my basement. My problem is space. The return duct is a small 6" x ?", and my issue is that I only have access to the front 6" face which is too small for most humidifier mounting. The front face of the Hot air duct is being blocked by a gas line and the furnace stack, but there is ample room on the side of the Hot air duct. I would like to keep it small as that side is flush with the enterance to the laundry (where the furnace is now located).

I guess my question is, would it be a bad idea to mount on the hot air...... if not, what would be a good low maintenance humidifier to do this. There is a floor drain, but a drain line would be right in the middle of a highly used floor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-06, 11:30 AM
You can use a bypass humidifier like an Aprilaire 550. You can install the main unit on the supply or return duct. If you don't have a handy drain near by, you will have to get a condensate pump and pump it to a drain.

Old 10-24-06, 12:50 PM
K
If it was on the hot side, wouldn't it ruin the humidifier? Would there be a lenth limitation on the 6" Bypass hose running to the return air? It would probably have to be approximately 4' to reach the return air if mounted on the hot.

Where would I have to mount the humidistat? Would it still go on the return air line with the main unit on the Hot air?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am pretty lost.

Old 10-25-06, 01:29 PM
Wink

Check out a Aprilaire 700 It might fit right on the side of the heat plenum and it dont need a bypass pipe.It also is made for on the heat side of a unit
Where would I have to mount the humidistat?
on the cold air drop. Its 24V wire from the hum
dont use its O/T.

ED

Old 10-25-06, 03:04 PM
K
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Check out a Aprilaire 700 It might fit right on the side of the heat plenum and it dont need a bypass pipe.It also is made for on the heat side of a unit
Where would I have to mount the humidistat?
on the cold air drop. Its 24V wire from the hum
dont use its O/T.

ED
I got everything but the O/T?

Old 10-25-06, 03:21 PM
Wink

They come with a Outdoor tstat that you can put on . Just dont use it is all You can set the tstat for how cold it is out side.

ED

Old 10-25-06, 03:43 PM
K
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
They come with a Outdoor tstat that you can put on . Just dont use it is all You can set the tstat for how cold it is out side.

ED
Gotcha. Looked up some info on the website. They don't give you a lot of details, or install instructions which would help.

Is the Aprilaire 700 the only one that can mount on the Hot side? Does it have a drain line or is it like the 400 which uses 100% water?

Old 10-25-06, 04:30 PM
Wink

It has a drain line but not a lot of water runs out when it on. It has its own fan in it. Works real good . Put one in my own home. . From all the we install I think the 700 is the best

Old 10-27-06, 08:23 AM
K
The 700 sounds like the best option. One last question. I know that the reason most people don't install on the Supply Plenum is that if there is a humidifier failure, water can leak onto the exchanger and cause problems. Does the 700 have some fail safe mechanism to help avoid this?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-27-06, 09:51 AM
Wink

the 700 has its own drain hose right in the bottom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: