Aprilaire 700: How do you wire direcltly to furnace?

Old 11-25-06, 08:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aprilaire 700: How do you wire direcltly to furnace?

I'm the person who, with your support, managed to not blow up the house and replaced the Bryant Plus80 system board *yay for me*.

However, I've discovered something I overlooked...the Aprilaire 700 doesn't work. Hasn't worked. Won't work.

Here's the background:
When I replaced the furnace board, I labelled/photographed all wires. I then, with some assistance, re-connected the wires/connectors to the new board/wiring harness adaptor, triple checked all wiring connections, verified via image with some help, and the furnace has worked great since.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice the humidifier wasn't working 'til lately, when the cats became EM generators..yikes!

Previously, the humidifier would kick on when the blower fired-up (before the ignitors fired). It was sometimes hard to tell, 'cos the blower motor and the humidifier fan sounded about the same.

Humidifier symptoms: Fan doesn't start, no water flow whatsoever (no clog, checked that), humidistat will make an audible 'click' when the current humidity level is passed (turning on/off had no effect.

The humidifier *appears* to be wired soley to the humidistat. I've traced every wire I could, and can find no wires leading to the furnace board. I have no extra wires leftover from the board change, though the HUMIDIFIER TERMINAL (24-VAC 0.5 AMP MAX) terminal is empty.

Logically, it looks like I should simply wire the humidifier to the board and all will be well...unfortunately, I can't find a single reference manual/online reference to the 700-series of humidifiers...I can find specs on the Air Forces F-117 internal wiring diagrams better than this!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-25-06, 12:12 PM
Wink

Can you find or see what wires came off the humidifie and went to the furnace. Was it to the board , sail switch, A 50 sensor????

Old 11-25-06, 07:08 PM
S
I think you missed that in my post....the wires go only to the humidistat...I cannot find any to the furnace/board itself.

Old 11-25-06, 07:43 PM
Wink

The 700 has to have 110V to it and 24V from the furnace to run the water solenoid

Old 11-27-06, 04:29 PM
S
The 110v is a standard cable/3-prong to a outlet next to the furnace. Since I can't post pictures, let me tell you what I have:

From the humidifier, I have the 110v cable, 2 yellow wires to the water solenoid (external, just below the humidifier), and a brown cable leading to the humidistat.

The humidistat has no other wires/cables/etc.

'Tis why I'm stumped. I'm no electrician/HVAC guy, but surely there has to be something else going to this unit. Maybe it ran independent of the furnace, and coincidentally ran (based on the humidistat, which is on the other side of the .25" drywall) when the furnace ran?

Old 11-27-06, 08:22 PM
K
Humidistat has 2 teriminal for senser. Then 2 terminals for humidifer. 2 for 24v R C. Is the 110v connected to the HUM termimnal or live all the time? The wire on the humidistat 24v where do they go? 110v on HUM put on board R C. 110v live all the time. If you have a digital thermastat. Put on W C. Mercury stat need a 50 relay on the humidistat hum wires. Which Iguess you didn't have before.

Old 12-06-06, 03:00 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you have a #56 humidistat, then you run the wires from HUM and COM from your furnace board to the R and C on the humidistat. BUT, make sure it is only 24 volts and not 120 volts and it is live only when the furnace is running.

The H terminals (2) should go to the yellow wires on the humidifier, the ODT terminals get connected to the outdoor temperature sensor (automatic mode) or a resistor if the humidifier will operate in manual mode.

hope that helps, I just insalled 2 of these myself.

Old 12-07-06, 06:40 AM
S
Thanks for the info folks, sorry for the delay replying, 10-month-old and work eat up all my time

The brown cable I was talking about originally runs from the Humidifier to the Humidistat. The Humidistat is an Aprilaire model 83321. The brown cable contains a Red and White wire, which are connected to the Humidistat. No other wires to the Humidstat. power or otherwise.

I'm betting, what I've read around this forum, that I'll need a relay before I can wire to the furnace board.

Does this help?

Old 12-08-06, 01:03 PM
K
I think that board has 2 hum terminal. Check the 110 make sure it on the 110 terminal. Old 2 wire humidistat. No 24v to furnace.

Old 12-09-06, 09:25 AM
S
That's what I was afriad of...and as it's not working on its own, AND because I had to replace the furnace board (both of which were connected to the same AC), I suspect it's croaked.

I've tried crossing the wires, as posted previously here, to see if I could at least engage it...no joy.

Methinks it's deader 'n doornail.

I plan to replace it with another 700-series Aprilaire..can the parts be kept around for salvage, or are they significantly different?

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 12-09-06, 01:34 PM
K
First plug the humidier into an ext cord and tur it on.

Old 12-09-06, 03:32 PM
Wink

You need 24 V to work the solenoid and turn on the humidifier

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: