Loud, noisy dehumidifier

Old 11-27-06, 10:46 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud, noisy dehumidifier

Hi all,

I've got a Kenmore dehumidifier that is a little over a year old and is buzzing very loudly when it kicks on. The buzzing started about a month ago, whereas before it would hum quietly. It should be noted that the machine still works. It's not freezing up, has plenty of clearance on all sides and seems to be working okay for now. I'm concerned that it's going to clunk out permanently unless I fix whatever is causing the loud buzzing noise not to mention that the sound is annoying.

Here's my model information:

Model No. 580.54701400

Is my compressor or motor about to wear out? Is there anything that I can do? What is causing this? My mother also owns an LG (< 6months old) that is doing the exact same thing.

Thanks for any help / information you can give!

Old 12-01-06, 02:02 PM
D
Zdawg77, I moved your thread here in the Dehumidifiers and Humidifiers Forum. I think these guys can help ya out.

Old 12-01-06, 02:45 PM
Wink

Not there hard to say for sure what you have. It can be the relay or switch that turns it on and the points buzz like. Sometimes some where in a unit the metal in it will set up and like resonates and will make a sound. Might Look and see if it has a transformer in it . They like to buzz a lot.

ED

Old 12-01-06, 04:28 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Where are you at that you still need a dehumidifier running?

Old 12-15-06, 11:50 AM
Z
I'm living up in Western New York where we are having a VERY mild winter - it's been mid to high forties with a fair amount of rain. Usually during the winter the humidifier won't kick on much or even need to be on, but this winter it has been very warm.

Old 12-15-06, 01:19 PM
What is the RH% in the home?

Old 12-16-06, 06:33 AM
Z
I'm not sure... RH% stands for "recommended humiditity?" I set it to 45 % and it used to kick on once every couple of hours for about 10 minutes. Now it will work for and sound normal for about 5 minutes and then starts buzzing loudly and won't appear to work any more after that. It will buzz indefinately with the humidity slowly rising!!! Is the unit dead and should I get a new one? Or is it something I could fix on my own?

Old 12-16-06, 09:44 AM
Is this in a basement? What is the temp of the basement? RH is relative Humidity. Unless you have some type of problem, I can't see why you need a dehumidfier this time of yr where you or at.

Old 12-16-06, 11:29 AM
Z
Yeah - this is in a basement. The usual humidity is 40 - 50% during the winter in the basement. I usually turn it off for the winter but we are having an unusually warm and wet winter this year. When I leave it off for several days, there is a musty smell that starts to kreep back which I was assuming was from moisture in the air. When we bought the house a year ago, the previous owners never had a humidifier installed and the smell was strong and noticeable. A week after we started to use ours, the smell was gone and the air felt more dry.

There are no noticeable leaks or wet areas on the floor or walls, so I assumed the smell was from general moisture in the air.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 12-16-06, 11:29 AM
Z
Oh - the temp of the basement is around 60 to 65 degrees.

Old 12-16-06, 03:15 PM
Red face

Dont you have any heat outlets from the furnace there in the basement????

Old 12-16-06, 08:04 PM
Conventional dehumidifiers don't run very will at cold temps. 60 degrees will be pushing it a lot. You should not be getting any smell unless you are over 55% RH. Do like Ed suggested and open some vents in the basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: