Dehumidifier/s selection

Old 10-05-07, 10:30 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dehumidifier/s selection

I am looking for advice on the preferred way to dehumidify my house. I live in the Pacific Northwest where very wet autumns, winters and springs have raised indoor humidity levels above 80% in previous years resulting in mold growth and so forth.

I suspected we had a leaky burn box and exhausts on the gas appliances so over the summer we replaced all of the gas appliances including the furnace and water heater; we also installed vinyl frame double pane windows and a new roof. These improvements have lowered the indoor humidity to 65% in the last few 'wet' weeks so I guess I was partly correct. I have not inspected the outer walls of the foundation but I suspect they are not properly sealed; we will have to wait until next summer to deal with that issue.

At 65% we are still getting condensation on the inside of our new double pane vinyl frame windows - a very discouraging experience. I'm determined to get the humidity down below 50% in the upstairs living areas (1000sq ft) at the very least.

My instinct is to install several smaller dehumidifiers in the various rooms as opposed to one high capacity unit . I would prefer to deal with just the one unit but I am worried about inadequate air exchange between the rooms....so my question is what's the best strategy to dehumidify the upper level of a house...or the whole house?

Thanks in advance,
MikeP

Old 10-05-07, 01:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One unit tied in to HVAC return. Leave fan on all the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: