Install Honeywell HE360A in Carrier 58MCB

Old 11-23-07, 02:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Honeywell HE360A in Carrier 58MCB

I purchased the Honewell HE360A humidifier with the H8908B humidistat control. My furnace is a Carrier model 58MCB. Based on my setup, this is what I know:

-The two red leads coming from the humidifier should be ingnored.
-Only the two yellow leads from the humidifier will be wired.
-I have a single terminal labeled HUM (24 VAC) on the furnace circuit board.
-I have two black leads coming from the humidistat control.

How do I wire the humidifier/humidistat? I belive I need to wire my humidistat inline with the HUM terminal. On the 4wires from the HE360A there is a label saying "Do not apply power to these.

Your help is appreciated!

Old 11-23-07, 08:37 PM
on your board, look for EAC1 and EAC2.. Run a wire on that to an outlet you mount on the side to plug the humidifier into.

You DO NOT put the yellow to the 24v HUM on the board. Ignore the HUM on the board.

The yellows will only go to the blacks on the humidistat.

Old 11-24-07, 08:20 AM
M
Thanks Jay

That cleared up my confusion. I'll install it today and will let you know how it goes.

Old 11-24-07, 02:45 PM
Ok, Great, I'll be waiting for your update.

Old 11-26-07, 07:16 AM
M
Installed!

Thanks again Jay,

With your answers I installed my humidifier and already feeling the difference.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-07, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the update, and glad to see you are noticing the increese of comfort.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Old 12-10-07, 09:53 PM
J
honeywell HE360A

Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
on your board, look for EAC1 and EAC2.. Run a wire on that to an outlet you mount on the side to plug the humidifier into.

You DO NOT put the yellow to the 24v HUM on the board. Ignore the HUM on the board.

The yellows will only go to the blacks on the humidistat.
I think I screwed up. I have a Carrier 58PAV with a 24V HUM terminal. I previously had an HE260A but seeing that it uses airflow from the furnance, I did not want to lose any more efficiency. It is a small furnance and I am guessing it is undersized for my house. So I switched to a powered one.

Anyhow, I hooked it up to the 24v HUM and it worked once. I can't get it to work again. Touching the two yellow wires do not activate the fan or solenoid. But there is definitely current as it sparks a little when they touch. Question is, did I definitely fry something? If so, what?

Old 12-11-07, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by Jon76 View Post
I think I screwed up.
I am afraid you did... :-(

Anyhow, I hooked it up to the 24v HUM and it worked once. I can't get it to work again. Touching the two yellow wires do not activate the fan or solenoid. But there is definitely current as it sparks a little when they touch. Question is, did I definitely fry something? If so, what?
Yep, you fried it.. You had 24volts vs 24 volts.

You'll have to replace the transformer on the humidifier.

Old 12-11-07, 07:44 AM
J
I am afraid you did... :-(

Yep, you fried it.. You had 24volts vs 24 volts.

You'll have to replace the transformer on the humidifier.
Thanks Jay. The 260a didn't have any power on it's own per se and figured the connection would be the same. Guess not. In this case, I would have to use some kind of relay or sail switch? Where can I buy a relay? I think that's easier than cutting a hole for the sail switch. I don't think I've seen it at homedepot or lowes before.

Old 12-11-07, 11:47 AM
In this case, I would have to use some kind of relay or sail switch? Where can I buy a relay? I think that's easier than cutting a hole for the sail switch. I don't think I've seen it at homedepot or lowes before.
The relay switch,. A50, or sail switch are not sold at home centers.

You will have to replace the transformer/board in the humidifier before we can do anything else.. Then you rewire the power from EAC on the board with out the need of any of the relays.

Old 12-11-07, 03:35 PM
J
The relay switch,. A50, or sail switch are not sold at home centers.

You will have to replace the transformer/board in the humidifier before we can do anything else.. Then you rewire the power from EAC on the board with out the need of any of the relays.
I found EAC1 and EAC2. EAC2 is capped. EAC1 is open. I assume EAC1 puts 120V. Looking at the board, where would I get the second lead (neutral) for it to completely power the outlet? Just splice it off the incoming power to the whole furnace?

TIA.. this forum has been so helpful!

Old 12-11-07, 06:51 PM
J
I found EAC1 and EAC2. EAC2 is capped. EAC1 is open. I assume EAC1 puts 120V. Looking at the board, where would I get the second lead (neutral) for it to completely power the outlet? Just splice it off the incoming power to the whole furnace?

TIA.. this forum has been so helpful!
I got it figured out. EAC1 is the positive and the EAC2 is the common.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-07, 08:23 PM
That's right, use that and run a wire to the side of the furance, and put an outlet box where you can plug the humidifier into.

Then tie the two yellow wires into the humididstat.

Old 12-20-07, 09:33 AM
J
That's right, use that and run a wire to the side of the furance, and put an outlet box where you can plug the humidifier into.

Then tie the two yellow wires into the humididstat.
Been running good for a week now. I can hear all the creaks in my house at night with the wood soaking up the water. RH is at 47% now. I had to turn down the humidistat after seeing so much condensation on the windows. Looks like it rain in the house.

Thanks for your help Jay.

Old 12-20-07, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the update Jon.

yeah, you don't want to get it too wet... 35 to 40% is good, and lower if it's really cold. YOu don't want your windows dripping wet!

Merry Christmas you and your family!

Old 01-01-08, 12:06 PM
T
I'm glad I found this thread, as this is perfect for me. Just want to clarify a thing or two. My eac1 and 2 are open. So I take like 14 gauge wire and run to an outlet, or should I use different wire? Once this is done, I plug the humidifier into it. I would guess I should not plug anything else into this? Not even a condensate pump?

Old 01-01-08, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by tjkgolf View Post
I'm glad I found this thread, as this is perfect for me. Just want to clarify a thing or two. My eac1 and 2 are open. So I take like 14 gauge wire and run to an outlet, or should I use different wire? Once this is done, I plug the humidifier into it. I would guess I should not plug anything else into this? Not even a condensate pump?
Yep you are fine as you got it set up. Only draw back you may have with the pump in the summer.. If there still some water left on the coil, will drain down to the pump.. if it's already some what full, but not full enough to empty and that water from the coil may overflow.. But I'd say the chances are it very slim of that happing. But I would watch it in the summer.

Old 01-03-08, 08:03 PM
T
I got this set up and working tonight. Thank you so much for the help. I decided not to get a condensate pump anyways, as my sump pump is not too far from furnace and the hoses are not in the way of constant traffic. One piece of advice I'd offer to people who buy this model is not to buy the install kit. I used about 2 feet of 18 gauge wire that came with it. You can go buy a ice maker line kit instead of what they supply, and one extra fitting. The drain tube they sent was too short to reach my sump, so I have to go buy more anyways. Maybe it's worth it if you need the sail switch.

Old 01-03-08, 09:16 PM
I agree, the Kit is not needed if you are plan on tying the humidifier to the control board.

Glad to hear that you got it working.

Old 01-13-08, 12:39 PM
D
Question HE360 Wiring for Dummies (like me)

Jay,

I guess I feel like an idiot whereas others understand what to to.

I'm installing the 360 model. I have a red wire and white wire coming from the humidistat (which are connected to the 2 black wires in the humidistat), and the humidifier has 2 yellow and 2 red connectors hanging from it.

It seems like you're telling me to connect the 2 yellow wires on the humidifer to the 2 wires (red and white) coming from the humidistat.

Is that correct?

And what to do with the 2 RED wires on the humidifier. Leave them alone?

DKA

Old 01-13-08, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by dkasmooth View Post
It seems like you're telling me to connect the 2 yellow wires on the humidifer to the 2 wires (red and white) coming from the humidistat.

Is that correct?
That is correct.

And what to do with the 2 RED wires on the humidifier. Leave them alone?
Yep, leave them be.. Won't be needing them.

Old 01-17-08, 06:50 PM
D
It works! Thanks!

Sure does waste a lot of water.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-08, 06:59 PM
YEah. it seems like a lot of water is wasted. but I'd rather have that than a pan full of old stale water that can be a breading ground of germs.

I don't see a much of hit on my water bill.. I think it's about a dollar incresse.

Old 02-19-08, 03:38 AM
D
Thanks!

I'll have to check that water bill!
See u on my next project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: