humidifier on air handler (no heat)?

Old 11-26-07, 07:38 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
humidifier on air handler (no heat)?

I have baseboard heat & often burn a woodstove in winter. The air gets very dry. With the woodstove I use the a/c blower / air handler to move warm air through the house. Can I add a humidifier to this system? Does it make sense to do so?

Old 11-26-07, 08:36 PM
You could add a humidifier to your air handler, but where is this air handler placed?

If it's up in the attic, you are at risk of lines freezing on you.

Do you have hot water near by?

Hot water will help add more humidity, otherwise, you are going to have more water wasted on cold water (Long run time)

Old 11-27-07, 07:53 PM
E
jay11J-
Thanks for the info. The air handler is in conditioned space above the 2nd floor. I can get hot or cold water there fairly easily.

Our other concern is drainage, but I figure I can run a line to handle that. Is there any way to estimate how much overflow I'd have to handle?

Menards has the honeywell 220 with a $25 rebate for another week or so, so I'm trying to make a decision.

Old 11-27-07, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by EastNokomisDIY
jay11J-
Thanks for the info. The air handler is in conditioned space above the 2nd floor. I can get hot or cold water there fairly easily.
Ok, good, then we don't need to worry about freezing risk of the water line.

Our other concern is drainage, but I figure I can run a line to handle that. Is there any way to estimate how much overflow I'd have to handle?
The water flow down the drain is a very small stream, 3/4" PVC is plenty.

Menards has the honeywell 220 with a $25 rebate for another week or so, so I'm trying to make a decision.
Not a bad rebate... What's the price before rebate? You may not need the "kit"... What is the air handler's make/model?

Old 11-28-07, 08:41 PM
E
Originally Posted by Jay11J
The water flow down the drain is a very small stream, 3/4" PVC is plenty.
cool. I can make that work.

Not a bad rebate... What's the price before rebate? You may not need the "kit"... What is the air handler's make/model?
I want to say list price is $118, minus the $25 rebate (mail in, as is usual at Menards). The install kit is $67 or so.

The air handler is a carrier, I don't have the model info handy; I'll have to go up there to find that out. Hopefully tomorrow - my only window is after the wife gets home & before the kid goes to sleep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: