Honeywell 360 how much water is wasted?

Old 12-19-07, 11:52 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell 360 how much water is wasted?

I was all set to purchase a honeywell 360 humidifier, when i spoke to a honeywell salesman at the gym this morning who said i should go with a steam humidifier; the flow-through uses almost 15 gallons to produce 1 gallon of moist air.
i'm concerned about how much my water bill would increase and also wasting water. thanks.

Old 12-19-07, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
I was all set to purchase a honeywell 360 humidifier, when i spoke to a honeywell salesman at the gym this morning who said i should go with a steam humidifier; the flow-through uses almost 15 gallons to produce 1 gallon of moist air.
i'm concerned about how much my water bill would increase and also wasting water. thanks.
Sad to say, yes there is water going down the drain the whole time it runs, but I haven't really seen a big dent in my water bill on this.. But if water is high in your area, then I'd look into the Steam system.. Honeywell is brining out a new steam system called TrueSTEAM. You are going to get 1:1 of water/steam. It may be spendy up front, but in the long run will be saving on your water bill.

Old 12-20-07, 09:29 AM
J
I just got my Honeywell 360A installed. Been running for a week now. I stuck the end of the hose coming out of the 360A into a 2 gallon bucket the first night. I was curious how much water is being wasted. Overnight, the 2 gallon bucket overflowed. If I can find a 5 gallon bucket somewhere, I'll try it again. But it sure wastes a ton of water.

We'll see what my water bill is going to be like next month. It shouldn't be much more but we'll see. I'd water the plants but I don't have that many plants to water.

Old 12-20-07, 12:03 PM
K
Originally Posted by Jon76 View Post
I just got my Honeywell 360A installed. Been running for a week now. I stuck the end of the hose coming out of the 360A into a 2 gallon bucket the first night. I was curious how much water is being wasted. Overnight, the 2 gallon bucket overflowed. If I can find a 5 gallon bucket somewhere, I'll try it again. But it sure wastes a ton of water.

We'll see what my water bill is going to be like next month. It shouldn't be much more but we'll see. I'd water the plants but I don't have that many plants to water.
wasting water and high bill a concern! otherwise, how do you like it so far?

Old 12-21-07, 09:46 AM
J
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
wasting water and high bill a concern! otherwise, how do you like it so far?
I like it better. The house feels warmer at night even with the temp dropped down while we sleep. I seem to wake up feeling too hot.

The air feels warmer. My skin is not as dry. My gf says she doesn't wake up with a dry throat anymore. We're pretty happy with it. Air feels warmer but the tile floors still feels really cold!

Old 12-21-07, 12:23 PM
Good to see you guys feel warmer now.

Tile floors are always going to be cold.. Just need an under floor heat, but I am sure you don't want to be busting up the tile to put in the heating pad under the tile.

Old 12-26-07, 11:41 AM
D
Water usage

Not to hijack this thread but, I installed an Aprilaire 600 in October and it has not had to really run until this month. I got my water bill yesterday and my usage has increased by roughly 800 gallons from last months bill and from Dec 2006. My gas usage is roughly the same from Dec '06 although the average December temp in PA is much higher this year, so I used more gas.

I suspect this is from the humidifier, but that 800 gallons works out to almost 27 gal/day (assuming 30 day billing period). Will this really use that much water? I understand that some water and natural gas will be wasted, but this sounds excessive, especially the water.

My humidistat is in manual control with the dial set on 40oF as this has been the temp on most days this month. I have reduced the humidstat for this next month to see how the bill is affected.

Old 12-26-07, 02:31 PM
That seems high.

Is the humidifer running or shuts down when there is no call for heat?

Old 12-27-07, 07:21 AM
D
The humidifier operation is fine. I have the humidifier wired to my HUM terminal so the solenoid does not open until the blower kicks on once the furnace has purged and warmed up. The humidifier shuts down when there is no call for heat. I can't think of any thing else my wife and I have done differently this month to use that much more water. This is more water than I use during the summer months when I wash the cars almost every week.

Old 12-27-07, 12:32 PM
I'm going to pulll our water bill up and compair on the water useage.

You had a house full of company for say Thanksgiving?? someone moved in/back home?

Old 12-28-07, 03:20 AM
M
I'm new to this site and I’m also a new house owner. I've been reading quite a lot about furnace humidifiers and got really interested in the new True Steam by Honeywell.
I have couple questions if you guys don't mind: my house, although it's not really big at all, has two-zone heating and AC - basically I have a furnace in the attic and in the basement. My plan is to install, probably a 6 gal True Steam in the basement. Now, will humidity reach rooms upstairs or will I have to work on another humidifier for the attic?
Second question is: how is water hardness affecting True Steam humidifiers? My water is quite hard - how will it work in those conditions?

I appreciate your help.

The new guy

Old 12-28-07, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by maly2020 View Post
I'm new to this site
Welcome aboard.

Now, will humidity reach rooms upstairs or will I have to work on another humidifier for the attic?
No, you don't want to put it in the attic, too risky of freezing up, and leading to water damage. Humidity goes to dry air, so it will work it's way upstairs.

Second question is: how is water hardness affecting True Steam humidifiers? My water is quite hard - how will it work in those conditions?
From what I've gather, that coil has a treamtment on it to make cleaning a bit easier.. I would suggest you get a water softner for your home.. will be easier on your water heater, washer, dishwasher, and everything else that gets wet.

Old 12-29-07, 02:37 AM
M
Thanks a lot Jay.

You’re right, water softener is something I have to consider and actually I already started looking for one. I’ve read many reviews on this site and there seem to be split opinions as to which brand is, maybe not the best, but pretty decent ( of course I only have salt softeners in mind ).
My house is not big, maybe 1800sqft. Currently, there are 2 adults and our 2year old girl in the house but our family will probably expend.
I hope you could answer some of my questions?
I heard that Fleck systems are the most reliable and not that expansive ? but how about others such as GE, Kenmore, Culligan, Morton, RainSoft etc ?

These specs are taken from ohiopurewaterco.com website:

9x48 resin tank
1.0 cubic feet of resin
13.5 gpm service flow rate
2 gpm backwash flow rate

How big should the resin tank be ( considering small house and about 3-4 member family) ?
What is the difference between, for instance 13.5 gpm service flow rate and 20 gpm service flow rate ?
What is backflash flow rate?
What is grain capacity ? ( i.e. 40 000 )

My water, like I mentioned earlier, is pretty hard although at this moment I don’t really know exactly how hard.

Thanks in advance,

M

Old 12-29-07, 04:15 AM
honestly, I don't know the water softner that deep in details. I have the GE 30,000 Grain unit. It's about 3 years old and been working for us so far. I think the main thing is using the yellow bag of salt, and staying on top of it.

For your house hold, 30,000 would be enough unless you plan on having more than 4 in the house hold, then go to 40,000 unit.

Old 01-02-08, 06:44 AM
D
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
I'm going to pulll our water bill up and compair on the water useage.

You had a house full of company for say Thanksgiving?? someone moved in/back home?
My parents came down for Thanksgiving thats it. DId maybe have to run the dishwater a little more than normal the past month. I also did notice on my bill that the billing period was 35 days. No one moved back in just me and my fiancé live there. I'll just keep an eye on it. Anything you notice on your water bill?

Old 01-02-08, 09:33 AM
I pulled our water bill up, and shows I went up about a unit of water.. (about 740 gallons), $$ wise, it only went up about .43˘

So, looks like we are with in range.

Old 01-03-08, 06:54 AM
D
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
I pulled our water bill up, and shows I went up about a unit of water.. (about 740 gallons), $$ wise, it only went up about .43˘

So, looks like we are with in range.
Thanks for the info Jay! Guess I didn't expect the humidifier to use that much extra water. As you state, my bill only increased by maybe a dollar.

Old 01-03-08, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by dryinPa View Post
Thanks for the info Jay! Guess I didn't expect the humidifier to use that much extra water. As you state, my bill only increased by maybe a dollar.
If you really want to see a savings in water, We got a new washer a year ago. I pulled all the bills up from last year and this year to see what we were saving.

We've saved just about 11,000 gallons of water!

Old 02-03-08, 08:53 AM
O
Helping wast water out of my basement

I just put a bypass humidify in, but waster water like a small stream. Because my base level is under ground, also it is concrete, difficult to drill a hole. How do I put this waster out of my basement. or anyway to control the coming the water to reduce the waster water. Please advise and my small bucket can't hold the water.

Old 02-03-08, 11:20 AM
What do you have for drainage from the A/C coil?

You can buy a condenstate pump, and have the hose run over to a laundry tub or drain near by.

Old 02-03-08, 12:24 PM
O
Thank Jay. I found the condensate pump from AC. There is two holes on this pump, one is used by AC, I just put the pipe on other one and work great. Very sweet and thanks for your helping.

Old 02-03-08, 08:52 PM
Glad you found the pump, be a job running down all the time to empty the bucket!

have a great week!

Old 02-11-08, 06:57 PM
O
Today I found the pipe is frozen from the condensate pump and water is over the floor, then I put back the bucket again. Currently the pipe is directly to connect outdoor. Anyone knows how to solve the cold weather issue or connect to the sewage pipe is better(the laundry room is too far) . Thanks.

Old 02-11-08, 07:33 PM
You have any drain in the basement?? Water softner?

Old 02-12-08, 11:51 AM
O
No. I found out whole night around 100 gal water wasted. so each day waste 150gal water and each month waste 4500gl water. It is a lot of natural resource and money wasted. Does anyone know the Desert Spring furnace humidifier and any suggest to save the water. Thanks.

Old 02-12-08, 03:31 PM
Is the water shutting off when the furnace is not running? My unit use about 25 gallons a day.

Old 02-12-08, 05:36 PM
O
Yes. Only the fan blows up then the water runs. I think too much water coming in. I am going to put a switch to control input water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: