Honeywell IAQ Installation Help

Old 02-09-08, 10:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell IAQ Installation Help

I have been reading the forum but still have questions on how to install the Honeywell IAQ thermostat? I have a Lennox gas furnace (80MGF Series) and am not sure about the wiring configuration?

I have 4 wires at my existing thermostat (R,B,G,W) which 3 do I hook to 1,2,3 on the thermostat? I assume that I attach the same wires to the 1,2,3 on the EIM but what about the wires that run from the EIM to the circuit board on the furnace?

I also plan to install the Honeywell HE260A Humidifier…where do I run the two wires from the humidifier to the EIM?

Here is a link for my furnace: http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Part...08_01_2004.pdf

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-10-08, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by skiguybri View Post
I have 4 wires at my existing thermostat (R,B,G,W) which 3 do I hook to 1,2,3 on the thermostat? I assume that I attach the same wires to the 1,2,3 on the EIM
This what I do.
1-Red-1
2-White-2
3-Blue-3

Really don't matter but just as long same color matchs both numbers.

but what about the wires that run from the EIM to the circuit board on the furnace?
Run a new set. 18-3 wire.
EIM-Color-Furnace
R-Red-Red
Y-Yellow-R
G-Green-G
C-Blue-C

I also plan to install the Honeywell HE260A Humidifier…where do I run the two wires from the humidifier to the EIM?
Jumper from R down to HUM1
HUM2 to humidifier
Other wire from Humidifier to C on EIM.

in the Advance set up menu, set up to this.. don't use the "Auto Discover"

172-1
174-1
176-1
180-0
220-3
240-3
300- up to you. I don't use this on mine.
342- Did you get outdoor sensor? If yes, then 1. Would suggest it for the humidifier humidity control.
370-1
372-1 with out outdoor sensor, 2 with outdoor sensor.
Anything after that, feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

Old 02-10-08, 03:31 PM
S
Hey Jay, thanks for the info! I have hooked everything up as described but have am having a problem with the heat. The heat doesn't turn on but I am able to turn the fan on & run the a/c? Any suggestions?

I don't think this should make a difference but I have not finished hooking up the humidifier yet...I have only done the duct work so far. Any reason why I shouldn't use a plastic water line instead of copper? Also, would you recommed hooking the water line to the hot or cold?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-10-08, 03:47 PM
Hey Jay, thanks for the info! I have hooked everything up as described but have am having a problem with the heat. The heat doesn't turn on but I am able to turn the fan on & run the a/c? Any suggestions?
Make sure your W at EIM and furnace is in placed, and screwed down. Is it showing HEAT on at the t-stat display?

If yes above, what happens when you jumper W and R at the furnace itself? You need to make sure the blower door switch is pressed.

Old 02-10-08, 03:59 PM
S
That must be the problem...I don't have any wires running to W on the furnace. I noticed that your instruction had me plug both the EIM R & Y into R on the furnace...was one of those supposed to run to W instead?

Brian

Old 02-10-08, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
EIM-Color-Furnace
R-Red-Red
Y-Yellow-R
G-Green-G
C-Blue-C
That must be the problem...I don't have any wires running to W on the furnace. I noticed that your instruction had me plug both the EIM R & Y into R on the furnace...was one of those supposed to run to W instead?
Opps! Sorry! I don't know why I overlooked that.

Yes, you need to wire W up....
W-White-W

Y-Yellow-Y

Old 02-10-08, 04:19 PM
S
That did it...thanks!

Also, any reason why I shouldn't use a plastic water line instead of copper for the humidifier? Would you recommed hooking the water line to the hot or cold & why?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-10-08, 04:57 PM
That did it...thanks!
Good!

Also, any reason why I shouldn't use a plastic water line instead of copper for the humidifier?
I've heard too many plastic line fail due to poor connection at the valves, and also can become brittle over time. Copper will hold up much better in the long run.

Would you recommed hooking the water line to the hot or cold & why?
Hot water is going to have less "stuff" in it since it settles out into the water heater (That why water heater should be flushed out yearly), and also hot water will add more humidity into the air. And if you do run your fan ON or CIRC, you got a little bit of help since cold water don't really eveperate well.

Old 02-10-08, 06:36 PM
S
ok, I have another question...I have everything hooked-up (thermostat, EIM, Humidifier) but now the heat doesn't seem to work?

I hooked up the humidifier & programmed the thermostat as described. I turned up the humidity to 30% (current reading 20%) and then turned the heat up above the current temp. The humidifier kicked on and the water is running but the furnace is not? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by skiguybri; 02-10-08 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-08, 07:42 PM
S
Thumbs up

Nevermind...I was looking at the wiring again and noticed that the factory jumper from RC & RH fell out. Looks like everything is working.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Old 02-10-08, 09:40 PM
Good that you figured it out while I was not on line.

Keep us posted if you have any other questions.

Old 03-20-08, 11:05 AM
K
Jay,

You seem to have all the answers.

I just installed IAQ 9412 with outside sensor and powered Aprilaire 560 humidifier. I get the outside reading and inside humidilty but can't change the humidity percent. The humidifier never turns on when the furnace kicks in. I wired from the humidifier transformer to the two top screws within the HUM section on the EIM. Any ideas? I also tried locating the codes you mentioned above and don't see those codes listed. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-20-08, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by kmo2771 View Post
Jay,

You seem to have all the answers.
I think I do, and be glad to help.

can't change the humidity percent. The humidifier never turns on when the furnace kicks in.
On the main screen, tap on "MORE", and tap till you get humidity reading.. should be up or down arrow you change the set point.

Here is the Manual should of came with it or left behind by the dealer.

I wired from the humidifier transformer to the two top screws within the HUM section on the EIM. Any ideas?
Both transfromer wire is on the HUM?? If so, where is the humidifier wire going to?

Old 03-20-08, 06:20 PM
I am going to add my input since my last post was done on my lunch hour, so I was kinda rushed.

In the advance set up menu, make sure these settings are set up.

370 - 1
372 - 3
374 - 2 (You can change this if you want something else)

If your furnace is newer, you can get by with out the transformer.. I put a jumper from one of the R's wire down to HUM1, and HUM2 to the humidifier, and other humidifier wire to C on EIM.

What is this tied to? (Make and model of furnace)

Old 11-17-08, 06:32 PM
R
need help

I'm hoping you are still around. I just installed a IAQ and have heat working, but my humidifier is not operating. I have is setup as in the manual.

Also I have an outdoor temp sensor but the manuals due not cover where to connect it to. The manual for the sensor say it goes to the thermostat, but mine does not have a s1 s2 input on it. I assume I have to connect it to the EIM. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Old 11-17-08, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by rldev View Post
my humidifier is not operating. I have is setup as in the manual.
What humidifier do you have?

Also I have an outdoor temp sensor but the manuals due not cover where to connect it to.
That is wired to Out1 and Out2

Old 11-17-08, 09:51 PM
R
I got the humdifier working. Eventhough the TrueSteam manual said the common connection was optional, I decided to hook it up. I'm not certain at this point it is functioning they way I want thought. I want the humidifier to run whenever it needs to run. I don' want it to be reliant on a call for heat from the Vision Pro.

I tried changing option 372 to 2, but my vision pro does not give me this option. I can only choose E 0 or 1. There is no option 3. Which of course I would want.

I figured out the outdoor sensor. I found a much better manual than what came with my units.

http://www.markbeiser.com/HVAC/docum...well/VPIAQ.pdf

New Questions:
I want my furnace to be able to use low speed fan for dehumidification. I have a variable speed Lennox furnace. How do I hook up the EIM to do this.

I have the R and C terminals on my furnace board connected to R and C on the EIM, is this correct?

Is there any indicator on the Vision Pro which shows if the humidifier is running?

When I go to test mode on the Vision Pro, it spells EESE(seems like it can't make a T). Is this something to be concerned about?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I will have a few more. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 11-17-08, 09:57 PM
I tried changing option 372 to 2, but my vision pro does not give me this option. I can only choose E 0 or 1. There is no option 3. Which of course I would want.
You need to turn #342 to 1, then it will show 3.

New Questions:
I want my furnace to be able to use low speed fan for dehumidification. I have a variable speed Lennox furnace. How do I hook up the EIM to do this.
Model # of the furnace?

I have the R and C terminals on my furnace board connected to R and C on the EIM, is this correct?
Correct.
Is there any indicator on the Vision Pro which shows if the humidifier is running?
Nope, I wish it was some time..

When I go to test mode on the Vision Pro, it spells EESE(seems like it can't make a T). Is this something to be concerned about?
Not sure what that is... But then I never used the test mode before.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I will have a few more. Thank you so much for your help.
No need to be sorry. keep on asking them.. That's why I am here... To help out everyone.

Old 11-17-08, 10:45 PM
R
My Furnace is a Lennox G32V5-100 - 5

I am trying to understand the 2 different setups for the True Steam when it comes to controlling the fan. One is independent of hvac power and the other is dependent on hvac power. The question is, why would you run your humidifier without the fan being on? Also since both should turn on the fan, I'm not certain what the difference is.

Regardless of the above, my vision pro is not turning on my fan at all. I change the fan setting to on and nothing is happening. I suppose this is why the humidifier can not turn on my fan as well.

Should I have a wire running from the G terminal on my furnace board to the G terminal on the IAQ? The instructions do not state this, but it would seem to make sense. How else can the IAQ interact with my furnace fan?

Thanks again.

Old 11-18-08, 06:31 AM
R
I woke uo this morning and the stats is flashing error code 53. It is still functioning, but I can't find what this error code means.

Old 11-18-08, 07:11 AM
I woke uo this morning and the stats is flashing error code 53. It is still functioning, but I can't find what this error code means.
Page 34, Table 4. It's your outdoor sensor.

Did you wire one wire to Out1 and other wire to Out2? 18 gauge 2 wire was used, and not near a high voltage wire?

Old 11-18-08, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=rldev;1465721]My Furnace is a Lennox G32V5-100 - 5

I am trying to understand the 2 different setups for the True Steam when it comes to controlling the fan.
It depends on how the system is wired up, and what it it wired up to for control. You got the IAQ, you can use the EIM to run the furnace fan.

Regardless of the above, my vision pro is not turning on my fan at all. I change the fan setting to on and nothing is happening.
Should I have a wire running from the G terminal on my furnace board to the G terminal on the IAQ?
Yes, you must wire up the G wire.

the setting #374 should be 0, or 1, but I perfer 0.

Old 11-18-08, 11:55 AM
R
OK it looks like I have all the basics working now. I guess I want to fine tune a few things.

How can I hook up my wiring so that the Vision Pro IAQ uses my systems variable speed fan to dehumidify?

Where can I find these manuals online? I see to be missing pages.

Old 11-18-08, 07:56 PM
How can I hook up my wiring so that the Vision Pro IAQ uses my systems variable speed fan to dehumidify?
Add a jumper from one of the R's down to DHUM1. Then a wire from DHUM2 down to DS on the control board.

Then cut jumper W914 on the board.

Where can I find these manuals online? I see to be missing pages.
Furnace Manual?

Wire hook up info is on page 62.

Old 11-19-08, 01:48 PM
R
Should I be removing the 3 jumpers that connect the R's on the EMI?

I am looking at the diagrams ad it seems to suggest I should. I just want to make sure it is right. The diagrams

look at figure 12 on page 7 of this link

http://www.markbeiser.com/HVAC/docum...well/VPIAQ.pdf

I believe this is my system. I'm not sure if I have one or two transformers. Assuming I have one, then R and C from the furnace board connect to R and C on the EIM, correct?

Assuming the above is correct, figure 16 shows exactly what you described. I keep the jumpers on the R's and run a additional jumper from RH to D1. I assume I could just run a small wire from RH to D1 since I don't have a formal jumper on hand. Then I run a wire from D2 to DS on my furnace board.

As for the humidifer itself. According tot he directions connecting the humidifier so that hvac power is present when running, I have dip switch 4 to the ON position and I have no fan hookups from the humidifier to the EIM or furnace. I assume this is correct. At least I hope. What's strange is that when I read a description of jumper 4. it seems like it should be off, so I am confused.

I have to say I love the Vision pro tstat. My system seems to work much better with it. I am concerned about humidity though. I know it can take a while before I can reach my set point, but it really hasn't changed in over 24 hours(24 -29%, but ususally 25%). It has been running non stop. I know it is running because the truesteam unti is very hot and the fan has been on continuos. I will say, the air feels warmer though. I have an old loose house, that is why I got the 12 gallon model. Should I be concerned? I thought I would see a small increase in a day.

Old 11-19-08, 04:44 PM
Should I be removing the 3 jumpers that connect the R's on the EMI?

I am looking at the diagrams ad it seems to suggest I should. I just want to make sure it is right. The diagrams

look at figure 12 on page 7 of this link
No, you leave the jumper in place... I don't see anything saying to remove it? (it shows that there is a jumper installed.)

Assuming I have one, then R and C from the furnace board connect to R and C on the EIM, correct?
Correct.

Assuming the above is correct, figure 16 shows exactly what you described. I keep the jumpers on the R's and run a additional jumper from RH to D1. I assume I could just run a small wire from RH to D1 since I don't have a formal jumper on hand. Then I run a wire from D2 to DS on my furnace board.
Correct.

As for the humidifer itself. According tot he directions connecting the humidifier so that hvac power is present when running, I have dip switch 4 to the ON position and I have no fan hookups from the humidifier to the EIM or furnace. I assume this is correct. At least I hope.
Correct.

What's strange is that when I read a description of jumper 4. it seems like it should be off, so I am confused.
Of the IAQ manual or the humidifier?

I know it can take a while before I can reach my set point, but it really hasn't changed in over 24 hours(24 -29%, but ususally 25%). It has been running non stop. I know it is running because the truesteam unti is very hot and the fan has been on continuos.
Do you have fresh air tied to your return ductwork? Lot of hardwood floors?

If you do have a lot of hardwood floors, yes, it will take some time to get up to your liking.. But if you have fresh air tied into your ductwork, and also old drafty fireplaces, it will have a very hard time catching up.

Old 11-20-08, 11:22 AM
R
"Do you have fresh air tied to your return ductwork? Lot of hardwood floors? If you do have a lot of hardwood floors, yes, it will take some time to get up to your liking.. But if you have fresh air tied into your ductwork, and also old drafty fireplaces, it will have a very hard time catching up."

I have all of these. Although my fireplaces have steel dampers on the top of the chimney. I would have thought that after 48 hours of running my humidity would go up at least a percent or two.

Could any of this have to do with the fact that my outdoor sensor is not hooked up yet? Maybe I can better reorient my humidifier to move with the flow of air? My house is 2600 sqft. My first floor is about 1900 sqft. I thought I was oversizing

Old 11-20-08, 01:04 PM
Not knowing where you are out of, but if you are drawing cold outside air and reheat it up, it will dry the air up.

For testing, put a rag into the fresh air intake vent outside, and see if that helps.

Old 11-20-08, 04:12 PM
R
I am in Northern Jersey. It has been very cold.

Old 11-20-08, 07:37 PM
R
This seems strange to me but may make sense to you. I plugged up the fresh air intake as suggested. After a couple of hours my house felt very cold. I realized my system was not maintaining the heat set point at the tstat. Eventhough the furnace was displaying second stage, the vents were very quiet. I then removed the the rag from the fresh intake and about five minutes later my system kicked into over drive.

What does this tell you?

Old 11-20-08, 08:22 PM
Ok, you plugged the fresh air intake for the burners.. That vent has no affect of your house.

The fresh air vent I'm talking about is ducted in a 6" metal or flex pipe tied into the return duct work.

The pipe should look something like this.

Old 11-20-08, 09:33 PM
R
I don't have one then.

So it is even stranger I am not getting improved humidity. I know the unit is boiling water and blowing steam. I pulled it off the supply and saw it pumping steam(very hot). Funny thing is when I shut the furnace fan off, I can feel the humidity coming out of the vents. My glasses fog if I put my face near a vent.

Old 11-20-08, 10:06 PM
Where are all of your ductwork going to and coming from? (Attic, crawl space?)

Old 11-21-08, 07:46 AM
R
I have 2 separate hvac systems. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. We are talking about the downstairs system. All duct work is new and accessible. It is in my basement and garage. Duct work in the garage is insulated on the outside of the duct. All ducts go to floor registers just above. One central return.

Old 11-21-08, 09:17 AM
Where is the system for the upstairs part?

Do you have other humidistat in the house, and they are matching up to the IAQ's ?

Old 11-21-08, 10:08 AM
R
Where is the system for the upstairs part?

Do you have other humidistat in the house, and they are matching up to the IAQ's ?
It is in the attic. I have no IAQ for that system.

Old 11-21-08, 10:14 AM
Are the ducts in the attic sealed?

If you got leaky ducts, and or can lights in the ceiling that are the older style that are not sealed, that can cause the house to dry out from these items.

Do you have a weather station that can read indoors humidity? that what i was refering to to see if that is matching with the IAQ's display.

Old 11-21-08, 11:50 AM
R
Are the ducts in the attic sealed?

If you got leaky ducts, and or can lights in the ceiling that are the older style that are not sealed, that can cause the house to dry out from these items.

Do you have a weather station that can read indoors humidity? that what i was refering to to see if that is matching with the IAQ's display.
I do not have leaky ducts, they are fairly new and insulated. I only have 2 high hat lights. I'm not sure what this has to do with my downstairs. I have a hygrometer, it reads the same as the vision pro. 24%

I have disengaged the humidifier and will do so for another day. I would expect the humidity to drop. Something tells me it is going to stay the same. The weather looks to be even for the next 2 days. I'm not sure what all this will tell, but clearly something is not working right.

I have a very high coil in my furnace. There is very little open space where the coil is. I wonder if this has something to do with this. Maybe I need to figure a different way to mount this unit.

Old 11-21-08, 12:19 PM
How old is the house?

Something is going on to cause your house to get that dry. Do you have HRV (Air exchanger) system?

When the home has a "stack effect" going on, cold air is brought into the home, and when that air is warmed up, it drying out the house (Lower RH).

You can try to move the nozzle else where in the duct, but as long the fan is running, the air is moving the steam.

But please let me know what your results are after you have shut down the steamer.

Old 11-21-08, 01:09 PM
R
How old is the house?

Something is going on to cause your house to get that dry. Do you have HRV (Air exchanger) system?

When the home has a "stack effect" going on, cold air is brought into the home, and when that air is warmed up, it drying out the house (Lower RH).

You can try to move the nozzle else where in the duct, but as long the fan is running, the air is moving the steam.

But please let me know what your results are after you have shut down the steamer.
It is a 80 year old house. It is decently insulated believe it or not. But there are certainly drafts in some of the rooms I have not remodeled. The rooms I have remodeled are tight.

Do you have HRV (Air exchanger) system?

I do not know what this is. But no I do not

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: