Aprilaire 550

Old 02-22-08, 09:10 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aprilaire 550

I've realized that my furnace humidifier is not working at all. I've taken a look at all parts and, not only cannot see any sort of control or moderating knob/switch, cannot see anyway to start up the water supply. I've checked out the panel but, other than seeing that perhaps I should be changing the evaporator panel, I can't see how to 'start' things up. What should I be doing?

NoviceHumidifierDolt

Old 02-22-08, 10:11 AM
Is this a new install?

Follow the low voltage wire from the water valve on the humidifier itself, and should lead to a control. Unless you have a newer furnace that may have a control built into the t-stat itself. I know Carrier has this.

Old 02-22-08, 11:42 AM
O
Some possibilities:
Is it really cold right now where you are? Some control systems will reduce the humidity in your house during really cold spells.

Is it already humid enough inside? It won't run if it is.

When there's a call for humidification, it won't run unless the fan is on.

Old 02-22-08, 11:54 AM
Wink

Does the solenoid valve work? get warm? If you open the line to it do you get water? after it do you get water.? There is a inline strainer is it ok ?Then there is a orifice is it ok?

Old 02-23-08, 02:38 PM
W
Aprilaire 550

The humidifier is definitely not working. It's incredibly dry in here and, though it's been cold out lately, it's not that cold today. An online manual suggests that the control dial would be on the t-stat (which it's not) or in a cold air return (god only knows where that is). I will have to look up what a solenoid valve even is to be able to check it out. Not a new install, might be original to the house (11 years).

I think that I will have to look at an online manual to be able to do any of the things that Ed is suggesting. I do know that one of the lines is warm but I see zero water flow through any of the tubes. I'm a little nervous of opening any lines, to be honest.

Thanks for all of your help, looks like this is not a do-it-yourselfer for the likes of me!

Old 02-23-08, 04:27 PM
This what the valve looks like

Should be a wire tied to this, and going to a control or some where.

The control should look something like this.. showing % set point. May be on the return some where, or hall way near the t-stat.

Old 02-08-09, 07:59 PM
N
was looking for some help on low Humidity and my house has an aprilaire550 and ran accross this post.

Jay,
do you guys usually carry the in-line strainer at HD? (couldn't find it in HD online)

How do I check to see if the solenoid switch is working? (that's what the picture if of right?)

thanks for the help.
L

Old 02-08-09, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by newhomeshopper View Post
Jay,
do you guys usually carry the in-line strainer at HD? (couldn't find it in HD online)
No, we do not sell these in the store, You can either find these on line or from a HVAC dealer.

Here's one dealer on line.

How do I check to see if the solenoid switch is working? (that's what the picture if of right?)
do you hear it click on and off when you adj the humidistat.? Yes that is the valve in the photo.

Old 02-08-09, 09:27 PM
N
thanks.

I'll give it a shot.

L

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: