Wiring a Aprilaire 600a on a Dayton furnace?

Old 10-20-08, 08:23 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a Aprilaire 600a on a Dayton furnace?

I have a Dayton Fuel-trimmer 3E465 furnace.I am trying to wire up a Aprilaire 600a.
Do I have to install the transformer?
If so how is it suppose to be wired and how is it mounted?

Old 10-20-08, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by wadkins66 View Post
I have a Dayton Fuel-trimmer 3E465 furnace/
I am not able to come up with any info on this model.. Have you looked at the control board to see of there is 24v HUM on it or EAC hook up on it?

Do I have to install the transformer?
It depends on what we come back with on above's post.

Old 10-21-08, 03:19 AM
W
There is a diagram that shows a DPDT Fan Relay.
There are 6 terminals on it.They do show one for a Humidifier and a Air cleaner.
What wire would I hook to it?

In the instruction book for the Humidifier I don't see any extra wires for hookup except the 24 vac transformer wires.

Thank You........Kevin

Old 10-21-08, 07:51 AM
They do show one for a Humidifier and a Air cleaner. What wire would I hook to it?
It's up to you. HUM will only power up when the heat is on, EAC will power up any time the fan runs.. I would suggest it on HUM, that way the humidifier won't run in the summer.

You would wire the transformer on the HUM, and Common, then wire your humidifier to this transformer.

Old 10-21-08, 06:05 PM
W
Do the black and white wires on the transformer go to the Hum and common terminals?
Does it matter which one goes where?

I also was wondering if I mount the humidifier on the cold air duct,do I have to run the bypass to the hot plenum or can I just hook into a heat run?

Old 10-21-08, 07:27 PM
Do the black and white wires on the transformer go to the Hum and common terminals?
Black goes on HUM, and the white goes on common.

I also was wondering if I mount the humidifier on the cold air duct,do I have to run the bypass to the hot plenum or can I just hook into a heat run?
You can put the bypass anywhere on the supply duct, just as long the air flow going from one side of the system to the other.

Old 10-21-08, 08:01 PM
W
Where is the common located?
The wiring diagram for the humidifier connection doesn't show a common.
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-21-08, 08:25 PM
Are we talking about line voltage side or low voltage side of the transformer?

On the low voltage side, it don't matter.

Old 10-21-08, 08:28 PM
W
It would be the line voltage side.

Old 10-21-08, 09:02 PM
I'll draw out how it should be wired some time tomarow.

Old 10-22-08, 02:55 PM
W
I appreciate your help.thanks

Old 10-22-08, 04:23 PM
Here you go,

I know I drew two groups of wires going from the humidistat down to the control/transformer. You can use the 18-2 wire, or 18-4. (one group rather than two groups.)

Hope this helps.

PS, sorry for the sloppy writing... if you can't read it, please do ask.

Old 10-22-08, 06:43 PM
W
I think I am starting to understand now.
Your diagram shows the furnace control box at the bottom left.

Is that the same panel where my thermostat wires hook?

And on the other side the transformer shows the hum and neutral wires.
Is that the black and white wires that are coming out the back side of the transformer?
If it is then where do I connect to a common or neutral wire on the furnace?
My diagram in the manual doesn't show one anywhere by the hum or air cleaner terminals.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-22-08, 08:50 PM
Is that the same panel where my thermostat wires hook?
Yes.

Is that the black and white wires that are coming out the back side of the transformer?
Yes.

If it is then where do I connect to a common or neutral wire on the furnace?
There may be a group of white wires, and may have an empty spade to hook up to on there.

Old 10-23-08, 03:22 AM
W
In the control box I did find a terminal board that has
com-hi-mh-ml-lo.Would that be the common wire to hook into?

Old 10-23-08, 07:53 AM
You want Com. the Hi, M's.. low.. that's your blower taps.. Nothing is on those"?"

Old 10-23-08, 03:09 PM
W
ok
so I can hook it into the com terminal.There is 3 other white wires going to the same spot.

Old 10-23-08, 03:45 PM
Yep, you can hook it up to Com.

Old 10-23-08, 07:20 PM
W
I hope this is my last question for you....
How do I mount the transformer?There is no mount for it.On the back side where the black and white wires come out there is a little metal tab sticking out and a machine screw is threaded into it.The screw is about 1" long.

Old 10-23-08, 07:58 PM
Is there a knock out or a hole on the box around the control board?

Old 10-23-08, 08:01 PM
W
There is a knock out hole in the side where the thermostat wires come in.
How would I mount the transformer in the hole?

Old 10-23-08, 08:20 PM
You back the screw out enough to get it into the hole, then turn the screw to secure it into place...

Old 10-27-08, 04:00 AM
W
Thanks Jay for all your help.Its all hooked up and working great.

Old 10-27-08, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's working for you.

Have a great week!

Old 11-12-08, 03:26 PM
T
I'm confused about the schematic you showed as the Aprilair booklet shows a 24VAC transformer connecting to R and C.

And it says that if the HUM terminal is 120v to insert a 120/24vac transformer (as you show).

Doesn't the shown wiring also require an additional 24VAC transformer connected to R and C?

OR is R and C (on the furnace control board) as source for 24vac?

Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Here you go,

I know I drew two groups of wires going from the humidistat down to the control/transformer. You can use the 18-2 wire, or 18-4. (one group rather than two groups.)

Hope this helps.

PS, sorry for the sloppy writing... if you can't read it, please do ask.

Old 11-12-08, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by tom77 View Post
you showed as the Aprilair booklet shows a 24VAC transformer connecting to R and C.
There is no transformer on R and C, it's on the 120 HUM terminal.

OR is R and C (on the furnace control board) as source for 24vac?
Correct, R and C is the power source to keep the humidistat "ON", and The 120v HUM is switching on and off as the system is called for heat.

Old 11-23-08, 01:22 AM
T
I have an insufficient humidity problem with 2 Aprilair 400a humidifiers I have installed on heat pump systems, and I noticed that the top half of the water panel is not getting wet.

I assume the top half of the panel is not getting wet because the water in the bottom tray isn't able to wick up sufficiently to keep the entire panel wet in the presence of the air flow blowing through it - and the float system of the 400a doesn't always allow new water to drip down when the blower is on, if it detects water in the bottom tray reservoir - whereby it assumes the water will wick up to wet the panel.

I even have my Honeywell 8000 set to 'circulate' the air, so it blows even when there is no call for heat - but I'm still not getting sufficient humidity.

I am not familiar with how the other Aprilair units that require drains work - but I assume that the they do not turn the water feed off just because there is water in the bottom tray, and that they just allow any excess to go out the drain.

Is that correct? Because I was thinking that the only fix for my problem would be to disconnect the 'float' interrupt of the electricity to the solenoid (so as to allow the water supply to feed in whenever the blower is on) and just let any excess water go out a drain.

So it that how the other units work that need drains? Do they have no float interrupt and just direct any excess water to the drain?

Old 11-23-08, 06:54 PM
I have not delt with the 400, so I really don't know how they work.

I just knew they have a tray of water that the pad wick the water up and eveperate into the air.

The other one are "flow though". another word, the water just flow though the pad, and right down the drain.

Old 11-25-08, 06:02 PM
T
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post

The other one are "flow though". another word, the water just flow though the pad, and right down the drain.
Thanks. That's what I thought. The 400 has a float system, sort of like in a toilet, so that a switch mechanism disconnects the electric to the solenoid controlled water inlet valve when the float ball is floating on water in the bottom tray.

Otherwise, I believe there is a drain that will takeover if the float system gets stuck down.

Old 11-25-08, 08:38 PM
T
if its been in for a while, my Aprilaire suggests cleaning the tray and entrance ports for mineral buildup. Espesically so if you are using well water.

Also, if you are not evaporating fast enough you could upgrade. The 400 series is meant for a specific square footage of home and you may exceed its limits. Check their website for the stats on both.

I got my Aprilaire 600a up and running with help from Jay11J and am quite pleased with it. Of course, been too humid since putting it in its run only 1 time.

Old 01-11-09, 06:41 PM
R
I am confused like Tom. You show the R and C wired directly to the furnace control box. The Aprilaire installation manual says to wire the R and C on the humidifier control through the 24 VAC transformer to a constant power source other than the HVAC blower circuit. It shows the W/G and Cf to wire to the 24V HUM and COMMON accessory terminals. However, you have the 24 VAC transformer in that circuit.

Old 01-11-09, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by roxandnate View Post
You show the R and C wired directly to the furnace control box. The Aprilaire installation manual says to wire the R and C on the humidifier control through the 24 VAC transformer to a constant power source other than the HVAC blower circuit.

It shows the W/G and Cf to wire to the 24V HUM and COMMON accessory terminals. However, you have the 24 VAC transformer in that circuit.
On the furnace the OP has , the HUM is a 120 volts, a transformer is needed on this, also HUM is a on/off power, so that wires up to the W/G Cf.

R and C is constant power, so that's why Had it wired up this way.

Old 01-12-09, 09:15 AM
R
Ok, so I now understand why you have the transformer on the W/G and Cf. On my furnace, the HUM is 24V, so I guess I don't need the transformer there, correct?

I am still not clear as to why R and C on the furnace circuit can be used when Aprilaire explicitly says not to use the furnace circuit for this and to use an external source instead. I ask because it would certainly be a lot easier to patch into the terminals on the furnace circuit but I am reluctant to do something they say not to do unless I understand what the issue is. Can you explain?

Also, isn't R and C 120V and therefore requires a transformer (which is not depicted in your diagram)?

I am sorry for the questions and do really appreciate your patience and insight!

Old 01-12-09, 09:57 AM
On my furnace, the HUM is 24V, so I guess I don't need the transformer there, correct?
Correct.

I am still not clear as to why R and C on the furnace circuit can be used when Aprilaire explicitly says not to use the furnace circuit for this. Can you explain?
R and C going to R and C on the humidistat is using very little power. R and C is for the light and display reading of the humidistat, so we are ok to "steal" that power.

Now if another brand of furnace was used, and R and C was used to wire up W/G and Cf. I would not suggest doing that.

The W/G and Cf is for the valve on the humidifier, and more power is used. With that, it may cause the system to work like it should.

Also, isn't R and C 120V and therefore requires a transformer (which is not depicted in your diagram)?
No, it's 24 volts.

I am sorry for the questions and do really appreciate your patience and insight!
No need to be sorry, Glad to be here to help.

Old 01-12-09, 07:57 PM
R
Ok, thanks for the explanation, that helps clear things up. So let me see if I have this straight. Here is my plan:

Hum on the furnace circuit goes to W/G on the humidistat
R on the furnace circuit goes to R on the humidistat
C on the furnace circuit has two wires - one to C and one to Cf on the humidistat

By the way, there are already wires hooked up to the furnace circuit terminals W, R, C and G. They all go to one wire bundle and I am guessing these are going to the thermostat. However, I am now going to have 2 wires on the R terminal and 3 on C. Is that ok?

My furnace, by the way, is a Bryant 395CAV.

Old 01-12-09, 08:57 PM
Hum on the furnace circuit goes to W/G on the humidistat
R on the furnace circuit goes to R on the humidistat
C on the furnace circuit has two wires - one to C and one to Cf on the humidistat
Correct.

If you want to save on a wire, or don't have an extra wire, you can put a jumper between C and Cf at the humidistat, so be just one wire going to C on the furnace.

I am now going to have 2 wires on the R terminal and 3 on C. Is that ok?
Yes, you can piggy back the wires on the hook up.

Take it you don't have A/C?

Old 01-13-09, 06:56 AM
R
Oops, we DO have A/C. Is that what is currently hooked up to the furnace terminals? With that information, is my wiring plan still ok?

Also, when you say to piggyback the wires on the hookup, is there some kind of special connector or technique you are talking about? Or just fit all the wires under the screw head?

Old 01-13-09, 08:49 AM
Oops, we DO have A/C. Is that what is currently hooked up to the furnace terminals? With that information, is my wiring plan still ok?
Yes, you still can wire it up as said.

Also, when you say to piggyback the wires on the hookup, is there some kind of special connector or technique you are talking about? Or just fit all the wires under the screw head?
Yes, you can put all the wires together under the crews.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: