Humidifying with hot water heat

Old 11-11-08, 08:08 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humidifying with hot water heat

Hi, I've got a couple humidifier questions... If these have been hit a thousand times point me 'cause my search didn't turn up much...

1. Hot water heat (Buderus boiler in the basement) and Unico A/C in the attic. Is there a way to REASONABLY do whole-house humidification? I thought there was a way to humidify through the UNICO, but my installer was VERY concerned about doing this in Minnesota. Their argument was that water lines in an attic in MN (where we get stretches of below zero and often days with anywhere from -25 f to -35 f) are very prone to freezing and failure, which is a great way to flood the house.

2. If we HAVE to stay with the portable humidifiers, is there one that can accept a water line? I've got a big one that handles several rooms, but it's a major pain to be filling the bottles all the time. So, is there a kit for using a water line or a unit that has a water line input that can stay on all the time (like a refrigerator ice maker or a toilet valve or something)?

Old 11-12-08, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by dkperez
1. I thought there was a way to humidify through the UNICO, but my installer was VERY concerned about doing this in Minnesota. Their argument was that water lines in an attic in MN (where we get stretches of below zero and often days with anywhere from -25 f to -35 f) are very prone to freezing and failure, which is a great way to flood the house.
Correct, you do NOT want this in your attic with our extrem temps we have in Minnesota.

2. If we HAVE to stay with the portable humidifiers, is there one that can accept a water line?
No, there is not.. I'd look into trying to tighten up the house if you can, and also Aprilaire has this unit.

I've never seen this type of unit in use around here, but it will work for you if you got a space to put this.

Old 11-13-08, 12:59 PM
Thank you for the inquiry on the web, concerning the use of a humidifier system coupled with your Unico System. Because you live in Minnesota, and your Unico System is installed in your attic, I would agree with your contractor that installing a humidifier in your attic, connected to your Unico System would not be the best choice.
But in your environment, Humidifier manufacturers make several models that can be installed inside your home. These are self contained units that have a water pad, that water distributes over, and a fan that draws the moist air off the pad, and into a ductwork, that is installed in a central location in the home, to distribute this air.
The manufacturers of these products are Honeywell, Inc., General Humidifiers, and Research Products. All three have web sites that you can go to, and review the different types of humidifiers that could work for your home.

We hope that this is helpful, but if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
Steve Intagliata
Technical Service Dept. Manager, Unico, Inc.

Old 11-16-08, 07:16 PM
E
Originally Posted by dkperez
2. If we HAVE to stay with the portable humidifiers, is there one that can accept a water line? I've got a big one that handles several rooms, but it's a major pain to be filling the bottles all the time. So, is there a kit for using a water line or a unit that has a water line input that can stay on all the time (like a refrigerator ice maker or a toilet valve or something)?
DK, if you're handy, you can fabricate what you're looking for. First you need a large humidifier, second you need a fill assembly for a toilet. My dad built a self-filling humidifier like this in the 70s.

Old 11-16-08, 07:27 PM
East,

The newer humidifier are not like the older ones that has the large tank.. The newer ones has two "bottle/tanks" that the water goes into.

Old 11-24-08, 11:16 AM
Z
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Why don't you use hot water instead - less likely to freeze on ya..

Old 11-24-08, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by zoneout
Why don't you use hot water instead - less likely to freeze on ya..
Still at risk. When there is no call for heat or humidity, the water just sits there...

Drain water is not hot any more...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: