Honeywell HE260 Install Questions

Old 12-09-08, 08:04 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell HE260 Install Questions

From what I have read, the humidifier itself can be mounted on either furnace side or return side. I plan on using the return side, but do I need to be concerned with the location of the furnace filter?

My humidifier install location on the return duct would place it above (upstream) the furnace filter. Will air moist air be pulled from the humidifier, past the furnace filter and into the furnace? Or will the moist air travel out of the humidifier, via the bypass flex tube, directly into the furnace supply side? My concern is moisture getting to the furnace filter.

Thanks,

Pete

Old 12-09-08, 08:08 AM
You are fine with setting the unit on the return. The air is always going to go into the return, no matter where you mount the humidifier.

The filter is not going to get wet from this system. So, no need to worry.

Old 12-09-08, 08:21 AM
G
Thanks for the fast response Jay.

Old 12-09-08, 04:23 PM
Honeywell HE260 Humidifier Install - Humid Airflow Question

Pete/Jay I have a similar concern. I installed my new Honeywell HE260 humidifier this last weekend just as shown in the instructions and the diagram for a "tall boy" style HVAC unit design. However, the local big box hardware store folks told me that the moistened air should travel from the return, through the HE260 humidifier, and then into the supply side of the air ducts going out from the furnace to my homes' vents, not into the return side of the furnace and the filter. I think they are incorrect, but Jay your comment is difficult for me to understand also...

I even drilled a small hole in my new ducts tonight to check the air flow with a small piece of string, and sure enough, it's drawing back into the furnace (I patched the hole with a piece of aluminum tape). The Honeywell instructions state that heated air from the furnace should pass across the media, thereby readily picking up the moisture from the wetted media. Therefore my warm airflow direction across the humidification media is correct. But would it not be better to find a place on the supply ducts towards my living space to direct the freshly moistened air?

Which direction is correct? Jay is it really okay for the moistened air from the humidifier to return immediately into the air filter and into the furnace? Why won't the filter be affected, and the furnace then dry out my already moistened air? Maybe this is by some choice, or a drawback of the design I guess. I noticed that some other units (more expensive) had forced air fans that might allow the installer to have more freedom to direct the end point of the moistened air.

For this type of "bypass" unit, if it is ideal, correct, and normal to put the moistened air back into my HVAC unit ahead of and so close to the air filter and also ahead of the furnace, then I've installed unit correctly, just as the Honeywell directions depict.

Jay can you explain this setup a little bit more, just to satisfy my "need to know"? I'm having a spirited conversation with some of my friends at my workplace about this also. We're all anxious to understand.

Sincere Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Jay Fitz
White Lake, MI

Old 12-09-08, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by jayman8190 View Post
However, the local big box hardware store folks told me that the moistened air should travel from the return, through the HE260 humidifier, and then into the supply side of the air ducts going out from the furnace to my homes' vents, not into the return side of the furnace and the filter. I think they are incorrect, but Jay your comment is difficult for me to understand also...
Is the humidifer installed now?

Take the cover off, and you are going to feel the air blowing from the supply side. That side is always under pressure. And you are going to feel the air sucking into the return side. Air is sucking into that.

But would it not be better to find a place on the supply ducts towards my living space to direct the freshly moistened air?
YOu can't do it with a bypass model

The only way you are going to get humidity into the supply side is a steam humidfier like Honeywell TrueSTEAM, or powered unit like Honeywell HE360

Which direction is correct?
Supply side to return

Jay is it really okay for the moistened air from the humidifier to return immediately into the air filter and into the furnace?
Yes.

Why won't the filter be affected, and the furnace then dry out my already moistened air?
The humidity is not "Wet/saturated". it moist air like on a humid summer day, nothing gets wet unless the air is 100% humidity.

The air is already heated so it won't "Dry" out. If the air was cold and heated up, then it will dry out.. That's why they say and old drafty house is going to dry out than a new tight home wont dry out.

Old 12-10-08, 03:06 AM
Thanks Jay

Now I get it... great answers. Now that makes sense!

Next I'll be trying to figure out the easiest way to hook up the electrical without using a sail switch. The kit came with the small transformer (plug-in) but I think I can use my fan's switch power from the inside panel correct?

Thanks Again,

Jay

Old 12-10-08, 07:57 AM
Did it come with a hard wire transformer in the humidifier box?

What is the make and model of your furnace?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: