GeneralAire Model 1137 on always

Old 01-06-09, 04:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

HI....My GeneralAire Model 1137 is about 4 years old. It was not pumping the water so a plumber said to replace the selonoid. I did that and that resolved the lack of water into the unit...however as per the specs the unit should shut off when the furnace is off; but it doesn't. I am not good with electrical connections but need some help as to what it could be. Unfortunately, I am the only person who can fit into the 5 inch space between the GeneralAire unit & the hot water tank to resolve this. To the best of my knowledge the unit never shut off in the past and perhaps this is why the selonoid burned out??? When I turn up the humidistat the fan clicks on the unit and water comes through it furnace on or off. I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus Premium Effeciency Furnace.
Thanks
ChicagoLaure

Old 01-06-09, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the unit is plugged into a regular outlet?

If so, it needs to be plugged into another outlet that will needed to be added to your furnace.

On your furnace, you will have a 120volts HUM where an outlet can be wired into this.

The HUM will only power up on call of heat, and shuts off when heat is not called for.

Old 01-06-09, 09:39 PM
C

In looking at the "plug ins" it is plugged into the same box which has "two outlets" and an "on off switch". The on off switch is for the furnace. The plug in cords to the outlets feed the humidifier and my hot water heater. Upon looking up at the piping...it runs upward into a light fixture and then goes off to somewhere.....does this help in your diagnosis???

chicagoLaure

Old 01-06-09, 09:44 PM
Sounds like that outlet is "Hot" all the times..

Another outlet needs to be added that will go right to the furnace's board.

Or a relay (A50) can be used instead of putting in a new outlet.

Old 01-06-09, 09:50 PM
C
Is this something I can do if talked through it??? The problem I have is everyone Whom I have called out can't fit into the space. I guess is this harder to do than installing the selonoid??? If so would I call out a skinny hvac guy or a skinny electrican??? What is an A50 switch...and which is easier to install...because trying to be like Houdini isn't fun for prolonged periods of time....believe me I know after changing out the selonoid.
chicagoLaure

Old 01-06-09, 10:23 PM
Is the humidistat easy to get to?

If that is easy to get to, then the A50 may be the best way to go, unless you are comfortable of mounting an outlet bod and wiring up an outlet to the board.

A50 relay wraps around on the blower motor wire that senses when the motor is on, and turns on the humidifier.

Old 01-07-09, 09:02 AM
C
I can easily get to the Humidistat. Where would I get this switch from?? Also is it easy to install??
Thanks
ChicagoLaure

Old 01-07-09, 02:48 PM
You'll have to find them on line or from your dealer.

They are not sold at Home Centers (At least around here).

Let me know when and what you get, and then I'll draw out how to wire it up.

Old 01-07-09, 03:26 PM
C
When I contact GeneralAire...do I ask for an A50 Switch????
Thanks for your help
ChicagoLaure

Old 01-07-09, 03:32 PM
A50 current sensing relay is a better name for it.

You can get it from them, but I'm willing to bet you may pay more for it than you could fine else where in line.. Do a google search on it, you'll see some come back with prices.

Old 01-12-09, 03:37 PM
C
HI Jay....
I will google the switch. In the mean time I contacted Rheem and they gave me two different types of limit switches which are on my unit. If you like you can view them at:
AmericanHVACparts.com with their help I was able to locate them on my furnace. Here are the limit switches:
LIM 1200 limit up to 200 degrees
Lim D300MR limit up to 300 degrees with a reset button
I have two of the 300 degree limit switches on my unit. I tried to reset both of them & still my humidistat unit is always on. American told me they are always in a closed position. Is there a way to check these switches to see if they are working properly. I cannot return electrical parts. Also please advise if this is something should even be concerned with. According to American & Rheem....these are simple to replace and do go out frequently.

Thanks
ChicagoLaure

Old 01-12-09, 05:10 PM
Huh?

The limit switch has nothing to do with the the humidifier or the humidistat.

We never talked about this.

Old 01-12-09, 08:03 PM
C
No we did not...but when I contacted GeneralAire...they said there is no limit switch so contact Rheem which is what I did and they proceeded to tell me all about the limit switches in the furnace. In the mean time I am very glad I don't have to worry about them and ordered an A50 switch which should arrive in a few days weather permitting. I will let you know when I receive it.

Thanks
ChicagoLaure

Old 01-12-09, 08:54 PM
Wonder why GA talked about about the limit switch?

Have a great week, and let me know when you do get it. If you can, post a photo of your set up, and it may help me tell you what to do.

Old 01-17-09, 06:46 PM
C
HI Jay...I got my A50 GeneralAire 24 V Current Sesning Relay. Attached are photos of my unit. From reading the installation proceedures I have a few questions. 1. I am sure I will need more wire length...what type of connection wires do I get 2. "The wire lead sponge bracket must carry a minimum of 4.0 amps for proper operation. What do I need to measure this? Or should I not worry about this now. 3. "The realy must be located 3" from any transformer. ( I am sure you know this but I don't know what a transformer looks like other than that for my door bell. 4. the A50 relay came without any mounting brackets....do I leave it hanging around??? It also says that the metal bracket must not touch metal...even I know this but what is the best way to mount this thing. 5. "note that the power source for the appiance load must be other than the blower motor" 6. I found the wire connections to the humidistat & tried to show them in one of the Pics. I don't know where the "Common
Wire of the Blower motor is located. 7. On this GA50 relay the wiring diagram does not list my model number it listes models 1042LH, 1099LH & SL16..(not sure this matters) please advise.

I will have to send the pics...because I don't know how to upload them to you. I thought they would just embed into this text message. Let me know how to do this so you can see the pics.

ChiLaure

Old 01-17-09, 07:27 PM
C
Ok I have looked at how to upload into an album: but I don't the option under User Control Panel of "pictures & Albums" Link.... I then tried to create a new thread and attach a file...however There is NOT AN 'Attachment Icon'...and actually it states at the bottom of the page that I can't apply attachments....is it possible the admin did not turn this option on??? Please Advise...
ChiLaure

Old 01-18-09, 05:36 AM
You can post a photo, but the photo has to be on a host site like Imageshack.us, or yahoo..

When you post it there, then you copy the link from there and post it in the pop up box when you click in the image button.

Old 01-19-09, 12:14 PM
Laura,

The web site has been issues all weekend, I was not able to get on much at all, so read my last post here about photo posting.

Old 01-30-10, 05:31 PM
H
1137 dead

I have Generalaire model 1137 for 3 years. The unit made a rapid clicking noice (stop and go). Now, it's dead. Is it the relay or fan motor problem?

Can anyone help?

Old 01-31-10, 06:17 AM
You'll have to see if you got power going to the humidifier.

If you don't, then trace back to the humdiistat, relay and the power sourace.

What is the make/model of your furnace?

Old 01-31-10, 10:28 PM
H
Power is on.
It gives a rapid clicks from relay or motor when I turn humidistat on. The fan turns briefly as clicking noise on.

I have American Standard - don't the model. - 130K btu, mid effeciency

Old 02-01-10, 06:29 AM
For test, Why don't we wire the humidifier right to R and C at the furnace, and see if the issue is still there. If the noise stops, then we will need to rewire it.

Old 02-01-10, 11:55 PM
H
can you explain what is R and C?

Old 02-02-10, 06:09 AM
R and your "hot" side of the transformer, and C is the "Common" side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: