Problem with my Aprilaire 760

Old 01-07-09, 07:09 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with my Aprilaire 760

This unit was installed when I bought my house last year. Whenever I turn it on it seems to be working, it waits until after the burner has kicked on and then water starts going in. The problem is that water then starts leaking out of the bottom near where the latch is that holds it closed.

On the unit it says something about replacing the water panel annually and I haven't done it and it certainly looks old. Could this be the only problem? Or is the motor going out and the fan isn't spinning fast enough to push the water into the air stream coming from the furnace?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-07-09, 11:04 PM
C
Well, I bought the new filter looking thing and threw it in there and it appears to be working! Looks like the old one was just so filled with crap that the water leaked around it and came down by the latch rather than falling straight through into the drain hole.

Old 01-08-09, 08:55 AM
Yes, an old dirty pad will cause the water to flow else where than down the drain..

I suggest every spring the owner to remove the old pad, and clean out the holder/frame, and lower tray..

On the upper tray, do not try to scrub out the "sand" on the bottom of that upper water tray.

Once you got that all cleaned up, then place the new pad in place. (If the pad has a paint stripe on end, make sure that is on top) Then you are ready for the next heating season.

Old 01-24-09, 11:38 AM
R
I have a 12 year old Aprilaire 760. I have had the same problem with leaking in the past. One year it was the Honeywell water panel that I bought at Home Depot that said it was compatible. When I ordered original Aprilaire water panels the problem went away.

I replace the panels every year so this isn't a clogged panel and I have checked the drain line which is clear. A couple of days ago, the water alarm in the basement went off because a lot of water was dripping from the 760 when it was running. It seems like a lot more water than has ever dripped before.

I had several new water panels so I tried 3 different ones and the problem didn't go away. The holes in the distribution tray aren't blocked so I am stumped as to what can be wrong.

I also cleaned the scale off the white plastic tip that feeds the water into the distribution tray. This is the one that snaps in above the distribution tray and is at the end of the water feed tube.

I don't want to call the HVAC company out for this because it has to be something simple.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Roger...

Old 01-24-09, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by rstarr View Post
When I ordered original Aprilaire water panels the problem went away.
Now the problem is back?

It seems like a lot more water than has ever dripped before.
Do you still have the orifice in place at the valve?

I am stumped as to what can be wrong.
Is the drain port of the drain going into the hole/opening on the main housing?

Do you still have the "sand" texture on the water distribution tray?

If all above is good, remove the frame/holder and turn it on again, and run it into a pail to see if you see water else where.

Old 01-25-09, 07:18 AM
R
Yes, unfortunately the problem is back. The HVAC tech was here a couple of weeks ago for the annual heating inspection that is part of my service plan. The leak didn't start immediately after he left, so it is probably a coincidence.

The leak started back up again on Wednesday. I had forgotten to replace the water panel this heating season, so I figured it was just clogged but replacing it didn't make any difference in the leak.

I didn't take it apart at the valve, so the orifice should still be there. The drain port is sitting down in the drain hole at the botom of the unit. I let the unit run for about 30 seconds even though water was dripping all over the basement floor because I wanted to make sure that water would eventually flow into the clear drain hose at the bottom. I did see a small amount of water going into the drain hose even though more of it was going on the basement floor.

My water distribution tray never had the sand texture, at least not that I can remember.

I didn't quite understand the test instructions about taking out the frame/holder and turning it on again.

I ordered a "tune up" kit online which has the frame, distribution tray, water supply hose as well as a new orifice and strainer and a couple of water panels. Once it gets here I'll install it and see if the problem goes away.

Old 01-25-09, 07:32 AM
Let us know how it comes out when you get the new kit.

On the test, that was to see if the water is coming out some where else other than the drain hole. On the pad, there is a paint strip on the end, make sure that is on top.

Old 01-31-09, 08:53 AM
R
The tune up kit that I ordered arrived on Friday and I installed most of it on Friday night. While it is nice to have a new frame and the distribution panel and I think the price of the whole kit was fair considering it comes with the parts and 2 water panels, the fix was really simple.

The kit came with the water distribution tube with with a new blue orifice (Aprilaire #4232) already inserted. This orifice is in the end of the plastic tube at the solenoid end. When I removed the old water distribution tube, the old orifice was not really dark blue anymore but kind of a light blue and was deteriorating from 12 years of exposure to the chemicals in the water. What should have been a pin-hole size opening in the orifice was up to about 2mm or a little more so the orifice was letting way too much water through.

If anyone else has this leaking problem, and your orifice is several years old, I would check that first. It is a $2.75 part and may be the cause of the leak. The whole feed tube kit is only $8.75 and includes the feed tube, nozzle, orifice, ferule, compression nut, strainer so if you need to replace the orifice, I would order the whole feed tube kit for a little bit more.

Hope this helps,
Roger...

Old 01-31-09, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the update Roger.

Honeywell uses brass for their orifice so that holds up pretty well.

Glad to hear the kit did work out, and going over what is in the kit.

have a great weekend!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: