Another TrueSTEAM wiring help request

Old 01-27-09, 10:14 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another TrueSTEAM wiring help request

Hi;

I purchased a Honeywell TrueSTEAM 12 GPD humidifier with the VisionPro IAQ thermostat and the Equipment Interface Module (EIM). I am trying to wire the EIM into a York Diamond 80 furnace with a White-Rodgers 50A50-241 control board so that the humidifier can run and control the fan regardless of whether heat is required or not.

I think that I understand the wiring diagram in the instructions, but wanted to post an image of my intended splices/connections as well as ask a few questions before I proceed. Are the connections in my diagram correct?

Wiring Diagram: http://www.oceaninvestigations.com/bin/diagram.jpg

1) I am only removing and re-connecting the low voltage (C), (R), (W), (G) and (Y) wires from the control board, right? I see quite a few male blade/disconnect terminals with line voltage wires connected to them and I want to be sure I don't have to mess with ANY of those connectors.

2) My control board has male blade terminals for a humidifier. I should just ignore these and use the connections on the EIM for the humidifier?

3) I also have a 2 conductor wire coming from my A/C unit that connects to the (C) and the (Y) terminals on my control board. Should I leave the A/C leads where they are on the control board or re-attach these to the EIM as well? If so - attach them to the EIM on the (C) and (Y) terminals?

4) The Honeywell instructions states that they recommend a 'Air Flow Switch (AFS)'. Do I need one? Why? Or why not?

5) I used to have a traditional by-pass humidifier which was turned off, drained, water supply valve closed, etc. in spring/summer. Does this unit require the same procedures?

I am really enjoying doing all of this research on humidifiers and reading this forum. Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

Old 01-28-09, 06:09 PM
K
Come on guys. I know we all want individual help with the TrueSTEAM, but don't let my Photoshop diagram go to waste. I just need a little confidence booster to start the install.

Anybody willing to help?

Old 01-28-09, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by kavorka
Are the connections in my diagram correct?
Yes, but I would do the wire hook up on the next group, Just HUM and HUM hook up, no need to do the G wires from the TrueSTEAM.

1) I am only removing and re-connecting the low voltage (C), (R), (W), (G) and (Y) wires from the control board, right?
Correct.

2) My control board has male blade terminals for a humidifier. I should just ignore these and use the connections on the EIM for the humidifier?
Correct.

3) I also have a 2 conductor wire coming from my A/C unit that connects to the (C) and the (Y) terminals on my control board. Should I leave the A/C leads where they are on the control board
Yes... YOu can wire it to the EIM if you want, but I always leave it on the furnace itself.

4) The Honeywell instructions states that they recommend a 'Air Flow Switch (AFS)'. Do I need one? Why? Or why not?
Not really needed, that's why I suggest the next group of wire hook up from the manual, Hum to hum only.

5) I used to have a traditional by-pass humidifier which was turned off, drained, water supply valve closed, etc. in spring/summer. Does this unit require the same procedures?
Yes, I would suggest shutting off the water, and clean the unit in the spring, that way it's not sitting there "dirty" all summer.

Come on guys. I know we all want individual help with the TrueSTEAM, but don't let my Photoshop diagram go to waste. I just need a little confidence booster to start the install.
Sorry I could not be here sooner. I had to work this evening. I"m doing this on my own time.

Old 01-29-09, 06:28 AM
K
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Yes, but I would do the wire hook up on the next group, Just HUM and HUM hook up, no need to do the G wires from the TrueSTEAM.
If I don't hook up the 'G' wires to the TrueSTEAM, will I still be able to humidify the air when no heat is needed? I have 2 furnaces (one upstairs and one downstairs). This furnace (downstairs/basement) will be providing the humidity to the whole house but the thermostat is turned way down at night. Not much of a need for heat - but def need humidity.

Sorry I could not be here sooner. I had to work this evening. I"m doing this on my own time.
No need to apologize!! I appreciate your help and I see how many folks you have managed to help here by reading all of the posts. Thanks a million!

Old 01-29-09, 06:42 AM
If I don't hook up the 'G' wires to the TrueSTEAM, will I still be able to humidify the air when no heat is needed?
Yes, as long 374 is set to 1, the IAQ will turn on the blower to add humidity.

Old 01-29-09, 06:47 AM
K
Gotcha! Would you mind giving me your input on my settings for the IAQ? Or is there another post here I can apply the same settings to my thermostat?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-09, 07:45 AM
I'll post back tonight.. I'm on my out the door for the day.

Old 01-30-09, 08:37 AM
K
Jay: I added the temperature sensor to the VisionPro and I am hoping to finish up the entire install before the Suberbowl on Sunday.

Looking forward to getting your opinion on the installer settings for the thermostat.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-09, 07:08 PM
110-1

120 to 160 you can figure it out.

172-1
174-1
176-1
180-1
220-2
240-3
280-1
300 to 310- up to you.
340-1
342-1
370-1
372-3
374-1
379-1
383-3
384-0

390- Are you gone for a long time in the summer?
400- Do you have an air exchanger/ HRV?

rest you can figure out, and go from there. If you have question, feel free to ask.

Old 01-31-09, 11:04 AM
K
Hi Jay. I am up and running. Could not have done it without you and this forum! I have a cheap hygrometer that reads 45% humidity in the house and the new VisionPro reports 22% humidity. Not sure what there is such a big difference. But the humidifier is purring along...

I wanted to ask you to explain a couple of the settings. Not second guessing, of course. Just want to understand more about them.

220-2
240-3
220 = Stage 1 compressor 1 cycle rate
240 = Stage 1 heat cycle rate
What do these do/mean?

390- Are you gone for a long time in the summer?
No.
400- Do you have an air exchanger/ HRV?
No.

And I have just one more question. I have the stat set to HOLD on 66 degrees. It says the inside temp is 63 and it is running the humidifier and fan - but no heat. It reads 'Wait'. I did all of the settings you recommended. Is it operating normally? Will the heat come on after the humidity rises some? I should mention that the furnace did come on when I first finished the install and flipped the switch back on. But once I changed the installer settings on the thermostat - only humidity. No heat has come on yet.

Last edited by kavorka; 01-31-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 04:06 PM
K
It went down to 59 in the house and the fan/humidifier were running, but not the heat. I couldn't figure out which setting was off, so I did a reset on the VisionPro. Now the heat is back on! ; )

Do you know which setting may have been incorrect to cause this?

Old 01-31-09, 05:16 PM
Z
Wow

I am glad i read your post because I am having the same exact issues!!! and by the way, your drawing is awesome! Was it right?

Old 01-31-09, 05:39 PM
K
Hopefully we'll both get this thing figured out! ; )

The drawing was correct, except Jay recommended that I wire the green (G) directly from the EIM to the furnace control board. No (G) green wires to the TrueSTEAM.

Old 01-31-09, 06:34 PM
Z
Problems

My task was to add a humidifier, exact maodel as you. Now, my thermostat is not allowing me to adjust the humidity. All it shows is the humdity. I did not install the outdoor sensor yet, maybe this part of the problem. And to be honest, i am not even sure i wired correctly. I did the colors as you recommended. But some of the other wirings could easily be wrong. i was not sure which wires in the schematics I actually had to install. Any way you could take a picture of what your eim board looks like, all wired up?

Old 02-01-09, 05:28 AM
Ughh.. My bad!

110- 0
180- 0

Rest of them are good..

Old 02-01-09, 06:32 AM
K
You're the man, Jay! I think all is running perfect now.

I am posting my final wiring schematic/diagram for zemaitatis or anyone else who may stumble upon this thread with the same problem.

It's not perfect.... obviously anywhere the drawn-in wires intersect is NOT a splice. Hope this helps.

http://oceaninvestigations.com/bin/diagram02.jpg

Old 02-02-09, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's running.

Sorry for the wrong code when I posted the installer set up, it was a long day, and my mind was fried..

Also, thanks for the drawing to share with others.

Have a great week!

Old 02-02-09, 10:06 AM
Z
Kav / Jay11J Thanks in advance...

First things first....this website is bad ass!!! Thanks to both of you for you help!!! I feel like I am following in the footsteps of kavorka exactly...to the T. So glad you were a few days ahead of me!!!! I too am having just humidity come out with no heat. So I will go home and do a reset of all ISU parameters. Are all the parameters listed below still ok?../ I notice 374 is 1. In the book it said to switch it to 3?

110-0
172-1
174-1
176-1
180-0
220-2
240-3
280-1
340-1
342-1
370-1
372-3
374-1
379-1
383-3
384-0

What about Dip switch 1-5 on the humidifier?
1-off
2-off
3-off
4-on
5-on?

I PROMISE TO LEAVE YOU GUYS ALONE SOON!

Old 02-02-09, 07:23 PM
K
Originally Posted by zemaitatis
I notice 374 is 1. In the book it said to switch it to 3?
What you want to do is follow the diagram on the top of page 14 of the manual. That is the diagram that follows the wiring schematic I drew and posted here in the thread. That configuration requires parameter 374 to be set to 1. That's the setting I am using.

Originally Posted by zemaitatis
What about Dip switch 1-5 on the humidifier?

1-off
2-off
3-off
4-on
5-on?
Only DIP 4 is ON. All others are OFF.

Old 02-03-09, 06:24 AM
Z
nice

everything is working perfectly. Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-03-09, 07:16 AM
K
That's great to hear! Glad I could help.

Old 09-22-09, 11:59 PM
S
Hello everyone

I have couple questions.

1. by having the R and C connected from the furnace to the EIM. Would that eliminate the Transformer that shows on the diagram?

2. I had one installed but the tank didn't get filled up. There is no water going to the unit. What could be the problem? Could that have to do with the parameters because I haven't set them up the way you showed. I will do that tomorrow.
By the way the light on the unit shows green so I don't think I have any problem with the wiring.
thanks for your help

Old 09-23-09, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by saidali
1. by having the R and C connected from the furnace to the EIM. Would that eliminate the Transformer that shows on the diagram?
The transformer in the drawing is transformer on your furnace (R and C)

2. I had one installed but the tank didn't get filled up. There is no water going to the unit. What could be the problem? Could that have to do with the parameters because I haven't set them up the way you showed. I will do that tomorrow.
Get the menu all set up, and you will have to be calling for heat before the humidifier will do anything.

By the way the light on the unit shows green so I don't think I have any problem with the wiring.
thanks for your help
You are ok with the power since you got light on the unit.

Old 11-21-10, 10:41 AM
D
kavorka, thanks a million for the drawing. I have a White Rogers 50A50-206 board on my furnace and your diagram matches up with this too. I had it wired right but wasn't too sure and didn't want to fry a board. I have never wired HVAC before so I wanted to be sure I had it right. Your drawing was just what I needed to see. Once I had the wiring down the Truesteam install was a breeze. House is now a comfy 45% and holding steady. Just a tip for anyone who is thinking about ordering. The TrueSteam is a great product. I have 2500sq ft that I am humidifying with vaulted ceilings. I am glad I ordered the 12gpd instead of a 9gpd. I think the 9 would have been too small a unit to keep up with bone dry Colorado winters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: