Can a bypass humidifier damage the furnace

Old 02-01-09, 10:52 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a bypass humidifier damage the furnace

Hello
I am wanting to install a whole house humidifier to my furnace. I am wanting to know if a "power" style is better than the "bypass" syle. My concern is the potential damage to the internals of the furnace?
From my understanding and thinking, the bypass style uses the pressure difference between the return and the supply ducts to move the air through the humidifier's water pad. Doesn't this pressure mean the air direction will flow from the supply (heated air) through the humidifier and into the return (cold air from house). This now humid air will be drawn through the furnace filter and into the guts of the furnace (the burners, coils, ect). If so, wouldn't this humid air cause damage to these parts of the furnace?
Would the 'power" style which mounts on the supply (hot air)side simply cause the warm air to become humid and then just go from here through the ducts and into the house.
thank you
FYI. My concern is not related to a leak in the water supply.

Old 02-01-09, 12:14 PM
A
The amount of humidity will not make the parts wet or cause corrosion or anything else. In fact, the bypass method I prefer as it will reduce static better and I think it improves the efficiency of the system. Remember the summer and fall air is typically much more humid than the humidifer can make it in winter. So there is no fear. I also like it remote on the cold side because mold and other issues are reduced. As long as you are not condensing mositure on the hot side, the air contains the moisture. With the power style you have sitting water on the hot side.

Old 02-02-09, 09:37 AM
I agree with the last post.

By pass is better, and mounted on the return side vs the supply side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: