Truesteam Cleaning

Old 03-11-09, 03:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Truesteam Cleaning

Took the tank apart today, after a month and a half of operation, and noticed some sediment. Not to bad. The coil cleaned extremely easy with a 3M scouring pad. The manual says I could clean the tank in the dishwasher which I plan to do. However, it does not specify whether the sediment screen is dishwasher safe. Can the screen be placed in the dishwasher as well? I am of the opinion that the Truesteam should be cleaned at least monthly in conjunction with replacment of airhandler filter.

Old 03-11-09, 09:29 PM
For the 3M pad, I hope you use "non-stick pan " type?

To play it safe, I wouldn't wash the screen in the dishwasher.

Old 03-12-09, 03:49 PM
M
I used the "non-stick pan" type of scouring pad. Although I ran the tank in the dishwasher and not the sediment screen this time, I have decided to clean both of them manually on a monthly basis.

Old 03-15-09, 10:29 PM
Hi, I just cleaned my Truesteam today after a little over 2 months of use. ~550 Kwh worth of run time. There were some mineral deposits in the tank but it wasn't too bad. I snapped a few photos and will post later. I didn't clean the heater coil because I was under the impression that it is designed to expand and contract which makes the scale flake off. I know the instructions say to scrub it but the stuff on mine didn't look like it would come off with out using some elbow grease. The tank and plastic filter cleaned up really fast in the sink.

Old 03-16-09, 10:58 AM
Here are the pictures.

The cover is off because I was checking my dip switch settings. As I mentioned before, I didn't clean the heating element because it seemed like it would be near impossible to get in between the coils and get it entirely clean. I thought that this element was supposed to expand and contract and thus the minerals would flake off. I believe that's what the loose crud on the right is in the tank. I noticed that there was a little bit of crud on the water intake. I'm going to monitor this closely during cleanings to make sure it doesn't get occluded. One thing to be careful of is to not push to hard on the Unit when cleaning. I would hate to break a gasket seal and develop a leak.

Last edited by Jay11J; 03-17-09 at 09:50 PM. Reason: changed left to right.
Old 03-17-09, 09:44 PM
The site wouldn't let me edit my post, but i meant to say "loose crud on the right is in the tank"

Old 03-17-09, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by dgbehrends View Post
The site wouldn't let me edit my post, but i meant to say "loose crud on the right is in the tank"
Got it fixed for you. Is your water hooked up to hard or soft water line?

Old 03-17-09, 10:16 PM
M
It appears to me that you should scrub off that build up on the heating element. I used a "non stick" type scouring pad to clean and when done, it looked like new. I simply peeled the "non stick" scouring pad from the foam part so it was easy to clean between the coil areas of the heating element.

Old 01-31-10, 03:41 PM
It's time for another cleaning, and I bought the scouring pads for not-stick pans and china dishware. The picture above of my heating element looks the same. I was not able to remove it with a rag last time, and this time the scouring pad does no better. If I take my thumbnail and pick at it I can get it to flake off with a lot of work. There is no way I could do this for the whole element. I fear that if I don't get the element clean, the performance of the unit will be severely degraded and my electricity bill will sky rocket.

Is there any type of cleaning solution I can soak it in to dissolve the mineral build up?

Old 01-31-10, 03:45 PM
Hi Jay, I missed your question about hard/soft water hook up from last spring. The true steam water line is hooked up to the line coming out of my water softerner, so I am getting soft water to the unit. The truesteam required filter is in the line as well.

Old 02-27-10, 01:22 PM
Follow up...

On another forum, a kind gentleman who has been there and done that, suggested I soak the heating element in Vinegar. I hate the smell of Vinegar but what the heck, I gave it a try. I unplugged my 12 gallon truesteam unit. Filled up the tank with a mix of 75% Distilled White Vinegar and 25% water. Reattaching the tank full of liquid was a little tricky. I made sure keep the drain in unlocked mode so that nothing dripped out. I let it soak for a little over a day and removed the full tank. Once again this was tricky as I could have easily dumped Vinegar all over my furnace if the tank slipped out of my hand(s). To my disappointment the white mineral build up was still there, however upon further inspection, it had softened to the point where I could easily rub it off with a microfiber cloth and scrape it off with my fingers or a non-scratch scouring pad. I spent about 20 to 30 minutes cleaning it. I installed the tank full of water twice to get the loose crud off. After all was said and done it looked pretty clean. I think I'll go through this process once a year. Hopefully it improves the efficiency of the heating coil. I've attached some pictures.

This last picture shows the filter which I changed and the super fine needle nose pliers I used to pop off the quick connect fittings. I bought a bunch of these filters for $20 bucks each. Honeywell recommends they be changed once per year. My last one was on for a little longer than that and I'm going to cut it open to see how bad it looks inside.

Old 03-16-10, 09:19 PM
I opened up the filter that I had on my truesteam for over a year it looks like it is brand new. I'm not going to change my new filter for a couple of years. They cost $20 a piece.

I finally got the water test done. Here is a picture

Looks like the water is rather hard between 120 and 250. I'll have to review my water softener manual to see if I can adjust it. The alkalinity looks a little worrisome too.

Old 03-16-10, 09:39 PM
Yikes... Yeah, the softener is not doing the job. Mine was reading 0 when I did my test last summer.

Old 11-12-11, 11:47 PM
sorry for the thread necro but....

I was doing my annual vinegar soak of my Truesteam and decided to check out what additional information on cleaning this thing might be available. It looks like Honeywell put out a set of videos for contractors.
Here is the one that does a good job of describing the cleaning procedure.
Module 7_TrueSTEAM Maintenance and Service

While inspecting my Truesteam with the cover off, I noticed that the HVAC person whom installed it put the gasket/insulation that surrounds the tube feeding into the supply duct, on backwards. This left the entire area where the tube feeds into the duct open. I dismounted the truesteam and reversed the gasket/insulation however because it had been up against the tank it had gotten a little crusty and brittle so I used some HVAC tape to seal it up tight.

Old 11-13-11, 06:57 AM
Did you ever get your water softener working again?

Old 11-14-11, 07:07 AM
I tweaked the settings on it to soften the water more. It goes through what I believe is a normal amount of salt, and we don't get any build up minerals on any of our shower heads, faucets, or the dishwasher. It seems to be working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: