Recommendations for humidifying my new house

Old 04-08-09, 07:27 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Recommendations for humidifying my new house

Well its been a while since I've made a post so here goes....

Our house is less than one year old and we have noticed our hardwood floor is separating in some areas. I have been told by the floor manufacturer that I should look into installing humidifier.

Ranch Style 1650 Sq Ft w approx 1000 Sq Ft finished basement. Hardwood every where upstairs but kitchen laundry and baths, basement is carpeted.

Gibson - B5VM-042K-B Air Handler
Tappan- FT5BU-042K Condensor

The factory thermostat is plain jane with Working thermostat functions....Off, Cool, Heat and E-Heat

Can I install a humidifier on this bottom of the barrel Tappan (Nordyne)?

How do I check the humidity in the house?
Thanks. FF

Old 04-08-09, 11:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lots of options for adding humidity, might depend on how much air infiltration you are getting, in other words how sealed your home is. Does your furnace run a lot during the winter? If so then I think you would be fine with a Bypass humidifier. If not then you might want to consider a steam option.

I use these to monitor Relative humidity in my house. They are about as cheap as you can get a RH meter. Enviracare Digital Humidity Temperature Indicator in Thermometers at JR.com

Old 04-11-09, 02:26 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I ordered the Enviracare Humidity Indicator and should have mid-next week..... Will post reading.

Thanks FF

Old 04-11-09, 02:55 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi FF, when folks ask about adding humidity, my first thoughts are, where is the moisture you already have going. A well sealed home will not only cost less to heat and cool, it will NOT need extra humidity. Normal household activity generates ample moisture. It is just that we have become accustomed to leaky/drafty homes. As an energy auditor, I have evaluated several tight homes that have to dehumidify in the winter. Now, they were built that way, so there is basically no way you will tighten yours up to that level, but you can reach a point where your home is much more energy efficient and needs little if any added moisture.

Check out air sealing your home and save on energy and maybe the cost of a humidifier.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: