Goldstar Dehumidifier Diagnosis

Old 09-09-09, 06:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Goldstar Dehumidifier Diagnosis

All,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my Goldstar dehumidifier. It was running fine for about a year but then stopped running properly. What I mean is that I would turn it to the maximum setting and it would still shut off after 2 mins or so of running. I can see that the compressor and condenser were functioning because I can see water dripping out to the bucket. So I figured it would be one of several failed items (rotary switch, humidistat sensor, and/or the main board or some element in the board).

So I did the following tests.

1. I first unplugged the rotary switch and plugged in the dehumidifier and it runs.

2. So I figured that the rotary switch which is basically a potentiometer was failing. I took out my multimeter and ran a test and saw that it was measuring 0 - 47.9k Ohms in a continuous rising pattern. Conclusion the pot is working fine, unless it is rated at a different maximum resistance.

3. Now I am left with 2 other possibilities both of which I do not know how to test.

3a. It could be the humidstat sensor. I'm not sure how to test it. If someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

3b. It could be some element of the main board. Again, I'm not sure how to test it. Can someone help me? The main board seems simple enough. It has several connectors for the bucket full switch, the high/low speed fan switch, and the rotary switch. It also has a connection for the motor for the fan and the humidstat sensor. It also seems to have a transformer that converts 125V AC to a lower AC voltage and lastly it has a relay that seems to work with the rotary switch and the humidstat sensor.

could someone help me?

It is functioning (i.e. running all the time which is great since it has really dried up our basement a lot). But it is not economical to run it all day all the time. So I would like to get the control system back up and running.

Thank you.

Old 09-10-09, 07:51 AM
Honestly, I've never trouble shoot a board like this before, so I don't know what to advise you.

Is there any service sheet in your unit?

Otherwise, Airman may be around and may have an answer for you.

Old 09-11-09, 12:12 PM
M
Thank you Jay for replying. I do have the service manual from Goldstar but it is very limited in its troubleshooting section. In fact, it has no symptoms listing for mine. So that is why I am here asking around.

I just spoke to a couple of guys at a electronics parts store near my house and they suggested that it could either be a bad humidity sensor, it could be a crack in the solder joint (i.e. they probably used lead free solder), or it is the actual microprocessor that goes bad though this last option is highly unlikely.

Anyway, if airman can help, I'd really appreciate that.

Old 09-11-09, 01:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
This will not be the fix you are looking for. If it is the board it will cost you lots of money to fix it. Since it is running I would go by a timer like you put on your lights when you go out of town. This will be so much cheaper than buying a board or stat. I set it for on 3 off 3. Check readings after a week then adjust from there.

Old 09-11-09, 01:26 PM
M
Thanks airman. I'll mull this over.

Old 10-05-09, 06:12 PM
T
Question to Mundy5 or Airman

(Sorry if this is a dumb question)

My GHD30 Goldstar died after one year of operation. I'd like to do the diagnosis that Mundy5 mentioned, but I'm not sure how to:

From the power source, there are 3 wires to the dehumidifier. White to the capacitor, green to ground, and black to the control board. Per Mundy5's step 1, you "unplugged the rotary switch and plugged in the unit". Can I do the same by unplugging the black from the control board and plugging it to the other end of the capacitor to see if the unit runs? Thanks.

Old 10-05-09, 07:02 PM
M
Trong,

No you do not want to do that.

The "unplugging the rotary switch" is done by following the 2 wires from the rotary switch (the one where you set the humidity level you want) back to the board. You will find that it is a simple plug that you need to "unplug." Then plug in the power source and your dehumidifier should start running.

do not mess with any of the wires coming from the power source. leave them alone.

Old 10-05-09, 09:47 PM
T
May I follow up Mundy?

Thank you Mundy. I did trace those two white wires back to the board and unplug it. Then I plugged in the power source. The unit did not run. Then I unplugged the other two white wires from the board to the light bulb. Nothing happened. Should I conclude the control system is good and the unit is bad? Any more test you suggest. Thanks.

Old 10-06-09, 04:24 PM
M
did you make sure that the water bucket was back in its place? If not, the unit will not run.

I would not recommend that you unplug anything else except those 2 wires that lead to the humidity control knob.

could you get back to me?

Old 10-06-09, 07:17 PM
T
still not run

Hi Mundy,

I plugged the 2 wires leading to the light bulb back to the control board, so now only two wires leading to the control dial are unplugged from the board. Put the water tank back in (I understand that it will push the red button to the on position. This button is off when the tank is full, the float makes the lever release pressure on the button, then stops the dehumidifier). Plugged the unit to power source, nothing happened.

Tr

Old 10-06-09, 08:03 PM
M
Trong, I'm not sure what to say other than, I unplugged the 2 wire connector and it worked. So it looks to me like there is something else that is amiss with your system. it's probably the control board. I've been told that it probably is the solder. If you are adventurous enough, you could try to resolder the joints to see if that restores the dehumidifier.

Old 10-06-09, 09:00 PM
T
Thank you. I'll poke through the joints of the boards to see which one gets loose. Too many joints, not sure where to start. But I'll write again if it turns out one of the loose soldering joints is the culprit.

Old 10-11-09, 02:01 PM
L
Question Also having Goldstar GDH30 diagnosis issues

Our unit is about 3 years old and has been run quite a bit in its lifetime. Recently, the fan stopped running, although the compressor seems to be kicking in. I've pulled it apart and cleaned everything as best that I can. I've checked the glass fuse and the seating on all the connectors that I can get to. Everything else seems to be (visually) okay... Any ideas?

Follow-up (5:20pm): I've checked the fan hi/low rocker switch and that is good. I've disassembled the motor assembly and don't know what to think... Although the armature turns freely, though stiffly, with the blade attached, it seem VERY stiff to me when removed from field magnet assembly. Also, having not seen what a new one looks like, I cannot tell if the 'blackening' on the armature - which seems uniform - is normal or not.

Last edited by LazerFlash; 10-11-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 04:21 PM
M
LazerFlash, I ended up cleaning the bearings on the motor with rubbing alcohol and then using some white lithium grease, I greased it up real well. it seems to be working well now. I think over time the grease from the factory becomes more sticky than slippery.

Old 10-12-09, 12:41 PM
L
Mundy - I will try that. The bearing seemed very stiff, although as I noted, with the blade attached it seemed to move okay.

Also, I'm wondering about what the armature and field magnet looked like. Should the outside of the armature (and inside of the field magnet) be black? The metal from most 'open' motors that I've tinkered with was silver or gray, (although this certainly wasn't 100%). I was thinking about cleaning those surfaces with electronics spray cleaner, but without knowing what it should look like first, that seemed to be somewhat of a fool's errand.

Thanks for responding so quickly!

LazerFlash

Old 10-12-09, 07:13 PM
M
I'm not sure about that, but it never hurts to clean it. you might find out that it is naturally a black color.

Old 08-18-10, 09:37 PM
A
unplugging of the switched worked great! was worried I was going to have to buy a new one there for a minute - thanks for the help!

Old 06-11-11, 10:33 AM
H
humidity sensor problem

I disconnected the white plug which I believe is for the humidity sensor (it's hard to trace the wires thru the taping) and my Goldstar GHD30 dehumidifier is now running!

Also - a detail - the bucket button has to be pushed in to work, which is the opposite of older units.

I will check on the replacement part; I appreciate the suggestion for the timer alternative.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: