Aprilaire 700 not working

Old 10-12-09, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 700 not working

First, I suppose it could be that 'it' doesn't think it needs to add humidity?

Ok, going into it's second full year of operation. I went downstairs to see if it was working as we have had the heat on for just over a week.

No solenoid click, no water draining after heat has been on (through the light sequence).

I took it to test/reset, and the green 'replace filter' light started to flash and the solenoid clicked. It ran for roughly one minute, solenoid clicked off.

I replaced the filter and turned the heat back on. Nothing. Hit test/reset again and solenoid clicked, water flowed, etc for one minute.

If I recall, the red light inside the controller should come on when it runs, but the manuals at aprilaire did not have many specifics on the controller (it has connections through removable cover on bottom, knob on right 1-7 with test/rest at top. Only one external light.

Any ideas? It is about 50F outside and 67F inside.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-13-09, 05:01 PM
Ok, I took one of my digital hygrometers out of my cabinet humidor and left it sit out overnight. Reads 51, so I think the controller is not requiring humidity yet.

Old 10-14-09, 11:21 PM
I don't know if you have an outdoor sensor on yours? *Auto mode*

If you do, then yeah it's either too warm out, or the humidity is high, no need of it to run yet. As you said you had 51% reading, that's more than enough.. 40% is starting point.

Old 10-30-09, 05:38 PM
B
Aprilaire 700 A does not work

I need help too. I just installed it. Control Panel shows no errors. When, Control knob is turned to Test/Reset, green light blinks. I do not hear solenoid opening and hot water flowing.

I'm using it in Manual Mode. Do I need to slide from A to B right above where Manual Mode wires are connected?

Help.

Old 10-30-09, 07:29 PM
D
wiring issue here...Post where all the colors are going since I had the same issue.

Old 10-30-09, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by brahma View Post
Do I need to slide from A to B right above where Manual Mode wires are connected?
This is STEP 3 in your control install manual. Yes, you need to switch it over to B. If you did not set this to B, before you started the system, you may of damaged the control.

Old 10-30-09, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by dargo View Post
wiring issue here...Post where all the colors are going since I had the same issue.
How do you have it wired up? There are many ways this get wired...

Old 10-31-09, 09:52 AM
B
Aprilaire 700 A does not work

Thanks.

I have connected 24 V terminals from transformer to the left two terminals and Humdifier Solenoid to right two terminals on the control panel. Do I need to be concerned which color wire goes which terminal? I'm still in A not B. I'm going to switch to B and it may solve the problem.

Old 10-31-09, 01:52 PM
no, color don't matter.

Do you have anything on W/G Cf?

Old 11-01-09, 02:09 PM
B
Unhappy Aprilaire 700A does not work

It is Grey 700A, so I have to keep Mode Switch to A not B, Step 3. I have it on A.

However, I have nothing connected to W/G and Cf terminals.

Terminal A and C are connectected to 24 V AC transformer. Terminals ODT are connected to Manual Mode shunt, and Terminals H are connected to Humidifier.

It looks like I have to still connect W/G and Cf terminals to furnace. Where do I connect them on the furnace? Is there a way to bypass furnace?

Old 11-01-09, 05:38 PM
Yes, you need to wire it to the furnace.. What is the make/model # of the furnace?

After we get it wired up to the furnace, switch MUST be switched to B.

Old 11-01-09, 06:14 PM
B
It is Lennox Pulse G14Q4-8-18.

I'm confused. Step 3 indicates to set Mode Switch in position A for Model 700 series (gray colored humidifiers only) or in position B for 700 (almond colored humidifiers only), ..

My humidifier is GRAY. MUST I still need to set Mode Switch to B? Please help me the reason behind your suggestion.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-09, 06:24 PM
That's an older furnace, so we need to hook up W/G to W on the furnace, and Cf to C on the furnace.

What is the full model #? I looked at the manual, and I didn't see anything saying about the grey or almond colored unit.

On your Pulse, have you had anyone done a pressure test on it to make sure the heat exchanger is okay?

Old 11-01-09, 07:54 PM
B
I had the furnace checked couple of years ago. Is that adequate?

It is Apriaire 700 Automatic Humidifier and it is Gray in color.Safety and Installation Instructions booklet which came with it, has bold letters about which models need to have Mode Switch to A on GRAY 700 model among others like 600, 568, 560, 558, 550 etc. And to B on 700 model (Almond Colored Humdifiers) among others like 768, 760, 448, 445, 112 etc

It states: Make surethe switch is correctly set for the type of humidifier installed. above these bold lettered sentences.

I see on my furnace, terminals R W Y G T (from left to right). So, I have W for W/G but no C fo Cf. Now, what do I do?

Old 11-01-09, 08:00 PM
I had the furnace checked couple of years ago. Is that adequate?
What did they do on the check up? It may be okay, just make sure you have CO detectors in your home near the bedrooms.

Ok, leave the switch in A. they must of updated the manual where I'm not seeing that on what I got from online.

Now, what do I do?
Do you have A/C? If so, is there two wires on Y and one on T? if yes, then wire the Cf to T.

Old 11-01-09, 08:28 PM
B
Yes, I have A/C. Both furnace and A/C are originals in the house and it is 18 years old. Maybe I should have it checked again.

Terminal R has Red wire
Terminal W has white wire
Terminal Y has orange and blue, two wires .
Terminal G has green wire and
Terminal T has white wire

So, should I connect W/G to W and Cf to T?

Old 11-01-09, 08:47 PM

So, should I connect W/G to W and Cf to T?
Correct.

I have not seen T used, must be an older model if therei's T.

Old 11-02-09, 03:40 PM
B
Smile

Jay,

Thank you. So far it appears to be working...hot water is running. However, I cannot hear humidifier running over the sound of furnace fan noise.

Old 11-02-09, 09:48 PM
Glad to hear it's working. Those Pulse can be noisy.

Old 11-03-09, 09:20 AM
B
Now my saddle valve hot water started leaking. I think I opened it too far. Any suggestion how to repair it without shutting the whole water system? It is on the top of water heater.

Old 11-03-09, 11:49 AM
Try tightening down the bolt/screw on the saddle, otherwise, tighten the packing nut on the valve.

Old 11-04-09, 08:00 PM
N
Question External sensor question

Hi,

I am getting ready to install a 700A and I am wondering whether it will work without the external sensor... pros and cons?

Thanks,
Florin

Old 11-04-09, 08:30 PM
I like the outdoor sensor. That way if we get a sudden drop in temp, you don't have to worry about your windows becoming wet and full of water.

Con, guess if it's very cold out the house does geta little bit dryer, but that's okay.. I rather not have to replace a window that been damaged by water, or hidden spot that has mold.

Old 11-08-09, 01:30 PM
A
I am installing an Apriliaire 700a on my furnace and seem to be running into a snag.

I wired it up the best I could figure out according to the instructions and it dosent kick on when the furnace operates. When I turn the knob to the test setting it does work. I have it on manual override as far as the temperature sensor goes. The Humidity reading is 38*

I guess my confusion is where the common ground should be routed. There is no "common ground, CG" or anything like that indicated on the board for the furnace.

The furnace is an Armstrong Ultra 80 oil furnace if that helps.

the wire terminals I have are as follows
C (with purple wire)
2x F (with yellow wire)
R(t) (red wire for thermostat)
W(t) (white wire for thermostat)
Y (empty)
G (purple wire)

I have tried grounding to the housing (which dosent seem to be working) and routing the activation wore to the W(t) terminal then attempted the G terminal.

My best guess is that I dont have a good ground for the activation, where should the wire that the instructions say should be common ground go to?

I really appreciate any insight on this, thanks in advance

Old 11-08-09, 03:12 PM
Are you running all the wires from the humidstat to the low voltage hook up on the furnace or do you have a transformer added to it?

Old 11-08-09, 06:20 PM
A
I am running to the low voltage circuit board that is right by the blower motor.

The only transformer is for the power supply for the humidifier control panel that I wired up to just plug into an outlet that is on the furnace (which has constant power, I also have one that I am not using that I think only has power when the blower is on)

The terminals I read off are the ones on the board in question. I need to figure out where the activating wire and "common ground" should be run to.

Old 11-08-09, 09:43 PM
R and C goes to your plug in transformer.

W/G go W on the furnace.

Cf goes to C on the furnace.

Old 11-08-09, 10:53 PM
N
W/G go W on the furnace.

Cf goes to C on the furnace.
Should we check the voltage on W & C? Make sure is not 120V?

Old 11-09-09, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by nonickleft4me View Post
Should we check the voltage on W & C? Make sure is not 120V?
You can if you want. I don't see that being 120v.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: