Wiring HE360 to Honeywell thermostat for fan control

Old 10-27-09, 01:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring HE360 to Honeywell thermostat for fan control

Hi,
I bought a Honeywell HE360 humidifier with an integrated transformer, so the only wiring connections are two yellow wires and two red wires. As far as I can tell, the manual says NEVER use the red wires. I hooked everything up with the yellow wires connected to the supplied humidistat to test it, and it works fine. To properly install, the humidifier obviously has to sense when the furnace fan is blowing so that it doesn't send water when there is no air movement. I don't want to buy and install the sail switch. I have a Honeywell TH8320U1008 thermostat. The thermostat controls the blower, so I think there must be a way to piggyback the humidistat onto the thermostat instead of using a sail switch. Is this right? If so, which wires to I use?

Right now, the following wires are connected to the thermostat: red wire connected to R (which is connected by a wire to RC), white wire connected to W, blue wire connected to Y, green wire connected to G.

If this won't work, I want to wire the control directly to the furnace (2 year old Amana AMV/ADV-8). I'm not sure about the directions in the furnace manual for doing this, so I'll have questions about that, but one thing at a time!

Thanks,
adrian

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by atilley View Post
I have a Honeywell TH8320U1008 thermostat.
Right now, the following wires are connected to the thermostat: red wire connected to R (which is connected by a wire to RC), white wire connected to W, blue wire connected to Y, green wire connected to G.
Is there anything on W2 and C?

You won't be able to hook up the t-stat to the humidifier.

You will need to put an outlet in on the side of the furnace, and wire that to HUM, and Neutral.

The outlet should be a single plug in, so someone can't try plugging in something else on it.

Old 10-28-09, 05:45 PM
A
The furnace is an Amana AMV8/ADV8 (not sure to tell which it is). (Here's the link to the manual: http://www.amana-hac.com/Portals/1/pdf/SS/SS-AMV8.pdf) In the manual, for 24VAC Hum, it says: "a 1/4" insulated male quick connect terminal on the pressure switch provides 24 VAC humidifier control. this terminal wil be powered any time the pressure switch is closed. To connect 24 VAC hum, connect the 24vac line of humidifier to piggyback on the pressure switch. The com side of the humidifier to C on the terminal strip on the control board (or to com side to 24VAC transformer). Do not connect 115V humidifier to these terminals." My understanding is that the yellow wires are 24VAC wires. So can I wire the humidistat to the yellow wires in series with these humidifier controls? If so, does it matter which yellow wire goes where? It doesn't seem to, as they aren't labeled. If so, am I correct in assuming that the "C on the terminal strip" is the C connection where the humidifier wires connect to the furnace (labeled "A" in the pics below)? And it appears that the quick connect on the pressure switch attaches to some 1/4" tubes that are connected to the motor (labeled "B" in the pics below). Does this sound right? Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-28-09, 09:15 PM
DO NOT wire it like this.

On the lower part of the board there is 120v section, It will have HUM on it.

I see your furnace is cripled with out W2 wired up to the t-stat.

Old 11-04-09, 07:31 AM
A
I saw the 115v connections on the bottom of the board, but the wiring from the humidifier is 24v. It's the wiring that runs through the humidistat (for clarification, this model has a built in transformer). The wiring diagrams then have it running in series with the sail switch, but I don't have a good place to install one. It seems like these directions for wiring 24v to the furnace should work. Let me know where I'm going wrong. Thanks!

Old 11-04-09, 11:39 AM
When the board has 120v, you put in a plug in on the side of the furnace, then wire the low voltage right to the humidstat.

When the HUM powers up on the board, power will be provided to the humidifer to run.

Here is my set up.

As you see in this photo, is a single plug w/ switch for the furnace. Single plug should be used, so that way someone won't try to plug in something with a higher amp, and hurt the board.

Old 11-04-09, 01:21 PM
Or

humidifier wired in 24 volt sequence to the 24 VOLT SIDE OF T-FORMER in proper sequence tru humidstat n all , 120 volt tramsformer supplied in kit 120 volt side wired to HUM AND NEUTRAL.

Old 11-04-09, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by GRIMKNOTME View Post
humidifier wired in 24 volt sequence to the 24 VOLT SIDE OF T-FORMER in proper sequence tru humidstat n all , 120 volt tramsformer supplied in kit 120 volt side wired to HUM AND NEUTRAL.
Grim, The 360 has it's own transformer inside. The kit does not come with a transformer, just in the bypass units.

Old 11-05-09, 09:32 AM
A
If I wire an outlet to the furnace, what gague wire do I need to use? I got some 14 gauge high temp wire - is that big enough? Thanks!

Old 11-05-09, 10:45 AM
14 is fine.. Are you planning on doing the outlet like I did?

Old 11-05-09, 01:29 PM
A
I'm considering it...I'll have to wire an outlet either way, because there's no outlet close enough, and a switched outlet may be the easiest solution. I thought the 24v wiring would be the easiest. If I decide to do that, would my original wiring scheme be correct? I think you said it was incorrect based on it being for an outlet, but because it's 24v wiring, could I wire the way I indicated and plug into a non switched outlet? Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-05-09, 03:45 PM
Don't wire the low voltage from the humidifer to anything else other than the humidist itself only!

Wire a single 120v outlet to HUM on the board ONLY.

If you use a regular outlet, then you need to use the switch.