Installing a Whole-House Powered Humidifier without a Sail Switch

Old 11-29-09, 07:57 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a Whole-House Powered Humidifier without a Sail Switch

Hi All,

I recently installed a whole-house powered humidifier, and decided not to use the "sail switch" that came in the installation kit. My furnace had 120VAC hookups, so I put together a little blog post about how to use them to install the furnace without having to use a sail switch, and save some money too. Here it is, I hope you find it useful:

Humidifier Installation

Thanks,
Tom

Old 11-30-09, 06:38 AM
Good post.

A couple of things came to mind.

Do you have A/C? If so, isn't the humidifier air flow being blocked by the A-Coil?

I would change that out let to a single outlet rather than the double.

Here is what I do.

The reason I suggest the single out let is a person can't plug something else into it. If say the furnace is running, and power is at that double out let, and someone wants to plug a shop vac in.. Plugging that into that outlet ti going to overdraw on the furnace board and may damage it and/or blow a fuse on the board. The AMP draw on most board are only allowed up to 3amps. Shop vac pulls a lot more.

Old 11-30-09, 07:46 AM
E
Thanks. Yes, I do have A/C, but no, it isn't blocked by the coil. For some reason, my coil is in the section above the section immediately above the furnace. Here's where I mounted the humidifier:

And here's the coil:

The furnace is only about a year or two old, and I think the original furnace was probably much taller (I've only owned the house for a few months, so I don't know for sure).

That's a good idea about putting in a single outlet. I hadn't thought of the possibility of damaging the board.

Thanks,
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: