Please help- leaking Honeywell Humidifier

Old 12-03-09, 10:32 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help- leaking Honeywell Humidifier

Hello,

I am having major water leakage from the use of Honeywell HE-200 Bypass Humidifier on my Goodman Furnace. The Humidifier is attached to the cold air return run. There is a warm air supply duct (6") that blows past the water pad in the Humidifier then the Cold Air return sucks in and returns the air to the bottom of the furnace area. There is an Air Bear 5 x 25 inch fiter between the cold air return and the furnace area.

I attached a picture for you to see- with the humidifier on the top left.

Last night I checked the furnace filter and there was about 3" of water that had collected in the bottom part of the baffles on the filter. Water was leaking out of the filter area all over the floor. When I looked inside the Honeywell Humidifier unit, the water was dripping pretty quickly down through the water pad/filter, and was leaving the drip tray on the bottom of the Humidifer housing and running down into a floor drain. There was also a tremendous amount of H20 that had been sucked in through the cold air return and was collected at the bototm of the return and pooling up in the filter area.

Should there be this much unused water? I have the Humidifier control set at 40 for the winter. When I shut it to 30, I hear the water stop and see the dripping into the water pad stop. But, the house is too dry.

Any ideas? I just put a new water pad in also, same thing.....lots of water. I would say it drips about as fast as a steady dripping bathroom faucet. Is that too much?

Do I need a new humidifier or humidifier control? This one is about 5 years old. It just seems like the water is too much, and should not be leaking and pooling in the cold air return/filter area.

Please help

http://oake.shutterfly.com/2315

picture link is above

Thanks

Old 12-03-09, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noake View Post
Should there be this much unused water?
Yes, this is a "flow though" unit. The ideal is to always have fresh water going over the pad. This is normal for all flow though style units. It's cleaner than the standing water unit.

I just put a new water pad in
When you put the pad in, did you make sure the top tray snapped into place? And make sure the paint mark/strip was on top/up postion?

Do I need a new humidifier or humidifier control? This one is about 5 years old.
No... Unless your water rates are very high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: