Humidifier how to correctly to connect to thermostat

Old 01-05-10, 07:04 PM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Humidifier how to correctly to connect to thermostat

I moved into a new home which had an old thermostat, so I replaced it with a digital one. Now my whole house humidifier wont work. The humidifier has to wires coming from it. One wire connects inside the furnace at the same terminal as the red wire from the thermostat. The second wire is connect with a wire nut to the blue wire that goes directly to the thermostat. What place should the blue wire be connected at the thermostat? I assume that the humidifier was just made to come on every time the furnace or fan kicks on? I'm a little confused. Any ideas or help would be awesome- Thanks Mike

Old 01-05-10, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't have any info of what you had for the old t-stat, and what is the new t-stat is.

I need make and model on both t-stat. Also, need the info on the furnace and humidifier.

Old 01-09-10, 05:02 PM
B
Thanks Jay-

I've been very busy lately. Humidifier is an Aprilaire Model 550. The furnace is a ThermaPride Model GL110-125. They are both really old units. My thermostat is a Hunter 44110. There is also a AC unit connected to the system as well. I'll try and explain where all the wires are going as clear as i can.

First off inside the furnace there is a terminal with Y, W, G, C, and R. I will try and explain what wires from where connect to it.

The regulator (i think its called that, it also has the pilot light knob on it) has two wires- White and Red. The white is connected to the C on the terminal. The red is connected to the W on the terminal.

The wires in from the AC unit are Red and white also. The Red wire connects to the Y on the terminal. The White wire connects to the C on the terminal.

The thermostat wire has 6 wires. Green, White, Yellow, red, black, and blue. I don't remember how they were originally connected or what type of a thermostat was originally there. Right now at the thermostat I have the green wire to the G, the red wire to the RH, the yellow wire to the Y, the white wire to the W, and the Blue and Black wire are not connected to anything. I have nothing connected to the RC.

Now on the thermostat wire connections inside the furnace. The yellow wire connects to the Y on the terminal. The white wire connects to the W on the terminal. The red wire connects to the R on the terminal. The black wire connects to the C on the terminal. The green wire connects to the G on the terminal. The blue wire is not connected to the terminal.

The humidifier has 2 wires. One of the wires connects directly to the blue wire that is connected to the thermostat. The other wire connects to the R on the terminal.

I hope this makes sense. I assume that the humidifier was connected to drip water every time the furnace was on and not when the fan was on? I would like to figure out how to make the humidifier run when the furnace runs. It was hooked up to run before with how its configured inside the furnace. I just messed up the wiring at the thermostat. Should I have a jumper between the RH and RC? Where should I connect the black and blue wires to in the thermostat? Thanks for reading my novel! Any help would be great - Mike

Old 01-09-10, 08:53 PM
Do you have a humidistat to control the humidity level?

Old 01-09-10, 11:05 PM
B
No- the was never one in the system. I just want to have the humidifier turn on when the furnace call for heat. Thanks Mike

Old 01-10-10, 06:25 AM
You are going to need a humdiistat, otherwise you are going to have a VERY wet windows in the home when humidity is really not needed.

Needs to be wired up like this.

the HUM will be your W.

Old 01-10-10, 01:34 PM
B
thanks for the reply. I finally just went out and bought a humidistat like you suggested and hooked it up like you said and it seems to be working just fine- Thank you very much from my family and me- Mike

Old 01-10-10, 09:10 PM
Glad to help out.

You have a great week!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: