Humidifier with wood furnace

Old 01-09-10, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidifier with wood furnace

I have seen other posts from people that think they are using too much water with their humidifierl. I am just installing one and see that it uses 3.5 gal per hour. With my wood stove blowing 24/7 will this amount of water use be excessive or will humidistat control the solenoid valve.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-10, 10:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 58 Posts
If/when the humidity reaches the level set by the humidistat, it should close the valve and stop the flow of water.

On another note, I have been looking at wood add on furnaces. What brand is yours and do you like it?

Old 01-10-10, 08:09 AM
Hoping that's what happens and I'm not running water constant. I have a Vogelzang 2500. Was actually putting in a new Goodman furnace/air when LP went crazy high. Added the wood stove and have heated 3000 sf for under $1,000.00. (half wood/half LP) Note, when my wood stove blower kicks in it feeds to the return air duct of my furnace. The furnace blower also runs to feed the house. I have no control on the wood stove, so if we keep it full, both fans run all the time.
Also,
As stated I just installed components for humidifier. Now as I plan to wire, I find my Goodman info with a wire to connect a 24V humidifier. It connects to the I.D. Blower Pressure Switch which is powered whenever the pressure switch is closed and provides 24V humidifier control. Does this mean I do not need the transformer or sail switch that came with the kit?

Last edited by wisowa; 01-10-10 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-10-10, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wisowa View Post
As stated I just installed components for humidifier. Now as I plan to wire, I find my Goodman info with a wire to connect a 24V humidifier. It connects to the I.D. Blower Pressure Switch which is powered whenever the pressure switch is closed and provides 24V humidifier control. Does this mean I do not need the transformer or sail switch that came with the kit?
I am not a pro in the HVAC field but from what you are describing it sounds like the furnace has an output for a humidifier. However, if by I.D. you are referring to induced draft, you will still need the transformer and sail switch. This is because the induced draft blower only runs when the gas furnace burners are running. When your using wood heat only the circulation fan is running on the gas furnace.

Old 01-10-10, 10:01 PM
Welcome aboard.

The 24 volt HUM you are seeing is only powers up when the gas is called for.

I would wire it up on EAC if your board has it, and you are going to need sail switch.

Is the furnace fan on at the same time as the wood stove fires off, or is ther another sensor that turns on the fan after X˚?

As Tolyn pointed out, the water will not be on 24/7. just as waht the humidistat calls for.

Is the stove getting it's own air for the wood buring, or is it drawing air out of the house?

Old 01-11-10, 05:50 PM
Let's see if I can explain my setup. I installed a new Goodman 90,000 btu furnace with central air conditioning. Then when LP got high, I decided to add on a wood burner next to the furnace. The wood burner gets its combustion air from the basement, the return air from the basement and blows into the return air on my Goodman. I had a technician wire the system so that when the wood stove blower runs, (which is pretty much all the time, as we keep it loaded every 5-6 hours) the Goodman blower runs, which distributes air thru the ductwork and back through the return air ducts. I guess I would like to wire the humidifier to the same blower switch, as the sail switch does not seem to work. (Not enough pressure maybe?) What I don't know is if I need the transformer or not. I could call my tech to see if he could do the wiring, but then it's not DIY is it. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-11-10, 07:19 PM
Do you have make up air in the basement for the stove?

If not, you are going to have outside air draft into the home else where, and going to really dry out the house, and the humidifier will have to work harder to keep up.

You can wire up the humidifier to run with the furnace blower. and I'll be happy to help out.

What brand of humidifier are you looking at?

Old 01-12-10, 06:17 AM
I guess I will have to say no to the make up air. I'm not sure if the wood stove has any kind of combustion intake. There is a draft adjustment on the door, so I assume it is just getting air from the open basement. I installed a Honeywell HE260 with the unit on the return air (pretty near the wood heat input duct) as I only have a 10" plenum above the A-coil. I cut the 6" bypass into that. I have a slightly odd setup as the furnace is on the end wall of a 50' ranch. The heat run is the length of the house, as is the return duct. It does not appear their is enough pressure on the return to operate the sail switch so I would like to try the blower switch option. I have kids ball games and bowling every night this week, so will probably not check into much till Sunday. Suggest what I might look into, and I will let you know after that.
Thanks.

Old 01-12-10, 07:18 AM
What's the model # on the furnace?

Then we will need a hardwire transformer to wire this up.

Old 01-13-10, 05:41 PM
The furnace is a GMH95. I am pretty much OK with the transformer where it is. I would just like to wire the sail switch wire to the blower wire, since that is the reason for such. Since my blower runs when the wood stove kicks in, and when the furnace runs if we are away and don't load the wood, I would think that if I can figure out where to replace the two wires running to the sail switch on the furnace board I should be good to go. Right now, since the sail switch does not operate I have it held in the on position, which means the humidifier runs all the time. Even if the wood dies down and the blower kicks out.(not much now, but more often as it gets warmer) And this will be even more important for when we quit burning wood, but use the furnace for short periods of time. Like I say, I would like to just move the sail switch wires to the blower and all should work OK.
Thanks again.

Old 01-13-10, 08:59 PM
Wire the transformer to EAC, and line neautral on the furnace board.

Then wire the humidifier/humidistat like this.

Old 01-17-10, 05:03 PM
As I see things, the EAC and line neutral are 115 volts, so I am thinking that is wrong. I do not see a hum post anywhere, so not sure about that 24v connection. Also, since I had help wiring the furnace blower to come on when the wood stove blower comes on, I believe there is an extra relay that my original service person put in. As I stated, I am more interested in bypassing the sail switch than thinking I need to do something with the transformer. But not sure how to wire, just to run when the blower runs. I may call my other help back in. Thanks for looking into it though.

Old 01-17-10, 09:06 PM
You want to wire your transformer to the EAC and line neutral. That will power up any time the fan itself runs.

Then you wire the rest to the transformer as I showed in my drawing.