furnace humidiier

Old 02-06-10, 09:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace humidiier

have a trane xv90 TUY060R9V3W HI EFF furnace.
I want to hookup a flow through humidifier that will come on only when it is calling for heat.
humidifier is now plugged into 110volts and is running all the time thanks mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-10, 01:47 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I only had to deal with one of those once. I remember that it was connected to the control card where it was marked acc (accessory).

Old 02-07-10, 12:12 AM
Thumbs up

There should be a hookup on the control board marked HUM.
That connection is designed to put out 110V only when the blower is on in heating mode. Aprilaire makes a current sensing relay commonly used on humidifiers that wraps around the low speed blower wire (normally red) that closes when current is sensed to turn on the humidifier in heating mode, but only when the blower is on.

Old 02-07-10, 04:34 AM
Great timeliness of this topic. I have a 2-yr old York gas-fired furnace and considering the same, however, I have already installed the humidifier (Hamilton, Model 12HF). My furnace board has a HUM connection, providing 11V, however, I need to knock that down to 24V. An alternative (that I am investigating) is the 24V terminal strips. There is one connection left empty. Sadly, the York O&M says to not connect anything to this, so I am back to the 115V. One idea is to just run wire from the 115V connection to the outlet that I had already installed and power the outlet from the furnace instead of the electrical panel.....

Old 02-07-10, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by ppymam View Post
have a trane xv90 TUY060R9V3W HI EFF furnace.
I want to hookup a flow through humidifier that will come on only when it is calling for heat.
humidifier is now plugged into 110volts and is running all the time thanks mike

Behind the cover, there's a HUM wire, you wire that to the transformer, then wire the com wire with the com wire with the wire nut.

What brand/model of humidifier do you have?

Old 02-07-10, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by HerContractor View Post
One idea is to just run wire from the 115V connection to the outlet that I had already installed and power the outlet from the furnace instead of the electrical panel.....
Did the humidifier come with a plug in type transformer or hardwired one?

Old 02-07-10, 11:12 AM
It came with a plug-in type Xfrmr. Really, all it would mean is to disconnect the wire from the panel and connect it to the furnace board.

Old 02-07-10, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by HerContractor View Post
It came with a plug-in type Xfrmr. Really, all it would mean is to disconnect the wire from the panel and connect it to the furnace board.
Not sure if this outlet is on the furnace or else where.. If elsewhere, I would just leave that and then add an outlet to the side where your power switch is now.

Here is what I have on mine.

Make sure you cut the bridge between outlet/switch on the hot side (brass screws). Wire the HUM wire to the outlet side

Old 02-07-10, 12:40 PM
Well, currently, my outlet is mounted near the humidifier. I can add another outlet easily to the furnace, and just use a short piece of cord between the new outlet and the humidifier, as the transformer plug from the humidifier is quite short.

Old 02-13-10, 09:39 AM
So, I feel like an idiot. I have done much electrical work in this house, I had only assumed that I powered this humidifier from the electrical panel. Well, I actually did power it from the furnace. Though I had it powered from the spare EAC (electric Air Cleaner) terminals that are powered every time the blower starts.

the last few days saw very dry weather where I live, and with the humidifier powered via. the fan, the house was around 33-35% RH. This morning, the humidity was at 32, so I went and switched the power to be fed form the Humidifier tabs on the board (supposed, powered when the furnace has a call for heat). As I type this, the house is 39% RH.

So, my theory is that the humidifier works much much better when used with the hot air from the furnace during heat mode, than almost constant operation, using it when the blower ran. FYI, yesterday I had the blower run continuously.