Squealing from my built in Honeywell humidifier unit

Old 03-02-10, 04:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squealing from my built in Honeywell humidifier unit

I recently had to replace my 11 year old Carrier furnace because the heat exchanger was cracked and the blower motor burned out (after 11 years???). We replaced it with a Carrier Infinity 80. We kept the Honeywell HE220A/220B/225A/225B type furnace installed humidifier on the unit and hooked it up to the new Infinity Control Thermostat.

Since this unit was installed, when the unit kicks in to heat, the humidifier squeals in a manner that I don't think it should. My furnace tech says that if I am going to use a built in humidifier, the way they are built, they will always squeal. I have tried to adjust the water flow and the airflow to the unit, but it still squeals. This seems ridiculous. My tech also mentioned that a new unit would likely do the same.

BTW, I have cleaned the buildup on all the parts, have installed a new filter, and none of that made a difference, infact, the squeal seems louder now.

Any suggestions? We like the idea of a built in humidifier that we can control with the Infinity Control Thermostat, BUT the squeal is now in my head and bugs the cr*p out of me. It has got to go.

Old 03-02-10, 08:39 PM
B
I'm not an expert on this but I can say I have just installed an HE220A bypass humidifier and it does not squeal. When the humidifier turns on I hear a click(solenoid) and small hiss sound from the water running. Once its shutting down I hear the hiss slowly go away and the solenoid clicks again shutting off the water. Thats all.

Old 03-02-10, 09:00 PM
I have HE220 on mine, and had it for 3 years, and have no issues with noise.

Did it just started doing it with the new furnace?

Old 03-03-10, 12:29 PM
J
Squealing noise from my furnace installed Honeywell unit

Barry and Jay, thanks for your replies.

After I posted yesterday, I went and tried to double check everything again with the humidifier. I turned the water all the way off, and then back on again slowly so that the waste trickle was just a little bit versus the stream of water that had been going down the drain. Long story short, the squealing seems to have gone away. I will monitor this for a few days and hope for the best.

Now I concern myself with the fact that though my thermostat says the humidity is set at 60% for winter, the best I can get in the house in three locations were I am taking readings is about 36-38%. Typical?

Old 03-03-10, 09:54 PM
I did install a pressure regulator on mine since our water pressure was pretty high.

Turning down the water will cut down on the humidifier doing it's job.. 60% is way too high! 35 to 40% is enough.

Old 04-27-10, 01:05 PM
D
The Bryant humidifier I use also squeals.
There is a shut off valve that comes from 1/2 inch pipe, this then goes to a 1/4" copper tubing that goes into the humidifier. It is squealing at the solenoid valve.

Why is this? Is it because a saddle valve was not used?

Old 04-27-10, 04:38 PM
It has to do with the high water preassure, and it's going though such a small opening.

Old 04-27-10, 05:42 PM
D
If I close the shutoff valve slightly, would that fix the problem?

Or should there be a pressure reducing valve before the solenoid?

Old 04-27-10, 10:46 PM
No, shutting down the valve is not going to help.. It may to a point, but then you are cutting down on the water flow, then the humidifier can't do the job it's suppose to do.

I had to add a pressure regulators on mine since water here has a lot of pressure.

Old 04-28-10, 12:44 AM
D
The house is on well water and has a pressure of around 60 psi.

What pressure do you think I should reduce the feed to the humidifier to?

This one goes down to 10 psi. Water Pressure Reducing Valve, 1/2 In - Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Valves - Plumbing : Grainger Industrial Supply
Will this valve make noise also?

Old 04-28-10, 06:16 AM
I don't recall what range mine is, but it did help.

I know the handle is not all the way down on it. and the regulator will not make noise.

I am not able to take a photo of mine right now, but I have it just off of my T on the line, then added a shut off valve, then down to 1/4" copper line to the humidifier.

Old 04-28-10, 02:25 PM
D
thanks! good info, I will install a pressure reducer then.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: