dehumidifier: on floor or off the floor?

Old 07-03-10, 06:08 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dehumidifier: on floor or off the floor?

Boy this topic sparked a debate so I thought maybe I would ask the pro's. Should a dehumidifier be installed on the basement floor or off the floor? In our discussion, most people who have them say "what difference does it make?" I have had a couple brands over many years and do not remember ever seeing anything in the instruction book recommending it be raised off the floor. A few say it runs less, less apt to freeze up if you do not have one of the low temp models..........but really cannot find anything consistant that suggests off the floor.

Any thoughts, experiences or feedback?

Old 07-03-10, 07:17 AM
There is no right or wrong for these unit.. Humidity is in the air, and it's not going to "Drop" to the floor. Most people has it on the floor..

I've seen it once on a stand at my grandparents, the reason they had it up, unit had the hose and no near by floor drain. and grandpa could not get this hole plugged up, so he ran a hose from the tank down to a 5 gallon pail.

Old 07-03-10, 07:44 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
1st there will be no real difference in the temp verses 4 ft in the air. I would feel we are not even talking about a degree.
2nd dehumidifiers are designed to run so I would not do anything that will hamper it from running.
3rd off the shelf cheap dehumidifiers do a poor job at removing RH at temps below 68.

Old 07-03-10, 10:36 AM
D
thanks guys

Thanks for the feedback, it is exactly what I thought and said to those in the debate. Have a great holiday weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: