wiring humidifier to furnace thermometer controls

Old 11-03-10, 10:06 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring humidifier to furnace thermometer controls

I'm installing a BestAir BA3200 humidifier and have an Amana gas furnace (can't remember the model number as I'm at work - if necessary I can get it when I get home). The furnace has 24vac wiring hookups for the thermostat, G, B/C, W1, W2, etc. I was hoping to wire the humidifier directly to these hookups, specifically the B/C and G (fan, in my understanding) and in series with a humidistat. Questions:

1. Any problems with this plan? I'd turn the humidifier off in the summer.
2. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the wires on the humidifier - does it matter which is hooked to G and which to B/C?

Thank you very much in advance.
adrian

Old 11-03-10, 07:52 PM
Will need the Make and model # of the furnace, and we may be able to hook it up another way than "stealing" power from the t-stat hook up.

I had to look this up since I've never heard of this brand, and seems like it don't have good reviews on this.

Old 11-05-10, 06:45 AM
A
The model number is AMV80905CXBA

The humidifier also came with a transformer, and I have 120vac HUM hookups, but there is nothing on the transformer to indicate which wires go to HUM and which to neutral, or which side hooks to the humidifier and which to the furnace.

Old 11-05-10, 07:50 AM
Low voltage transformer it don't matter what wire goes to HUM or neutral.

The screw side is the low voltage side, and the wires are line voltage, so wire the humidifier to the screw side, and wires from the transformer to the HUM line voltage hook up on the furnace, and other wire to line voltage neutral.

Old 11-06-10, 07:37 AM
A
Jay,
Thanks so much. How are these transformers generally mounted? Also, there is a scoop on the humidifier (it's a bypass). The humidifier was installed on the return side because of space issues. The manual has the scoop facing away from the flow of air, but it seems like it would make more sense to scoop air into the humidifier (thereby "bypassing" the furnace), but I'm not sure.
adrian

Old 11-06-10, 07:58 AM
If I recall there may be a knock out on the side? It has been a long time since I've been around this. Mount the transformer on the knock out. (If it has the threads to spin this nut on to hold it in place.

Humidifier can be place on either return or supply side of the system.. Lot of us prefer it on the return side so that way if something goes wrong, the water won't be going into the furnace area.

The air always gets mixed into the return air now matter what side it's placed.

Old 11-06-10, 08:26 AM
A
Thanks again. One other thing. If I recall correctly, the wires on the humidifier are both black, so I assume it doesn't matter which is connected to HUM and which to common?

Old 11-06-10, 08:29 AM
Correct, it don't matter what is what.

Old 12-16-10, 03:16 AM
H
Wiring a humidifier direct to a furnace

I am hooking up a BestAir humidifier directly to my furnace. I have a Trane XR90 and don't see a HUM terminal on my circuit board. I was told by a heating and air person to run one of the wires from the humidistat to the C on the circuit board and the other wire to the humidifier. Then the other wire on the humidifier to the W on the circuit board. He said I do not need to use the "transformer" which came with the unit and basically I am making a big loop for the power. Does this sound correct?

Old 12-16-10, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
I am hooking up a BestAir humidifier directly to my furnace. I have a Trane XR90 and don't see a HUM terminal on my circuit board. I was told by a heating and air person to run one of the wires from the humidistat to the C on the circuit board and the other wire to the humidifier. Then the other wire on the humidifier to the W on the circuit board. He said I do not need to use the "transformer" which came with the unit and basically I am making a big loop for the power. Does this sound correct?
You could do that, but if the furnace starts acting funny, then you need to do a transformer. The HUM and EAC wire is in the junction box in the burner area.

Old 12-19-10, 02:11 PM
H
My friend and I hooked up the wiring direct and seems to work o.k. and the humidifier seems to be running water through it. Thanks for the advice on the transformer and the HUM. I will switch to the transformer if I notice the furnace running wierd. Thanks again.

Old 12-19-10, 02:19 PM
Sounds good. Let me know if you need anything else.

Have a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: