Aprilaire 560 sounds like jet engine!?

Old 11-14-10, 07:11 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilaire 560 sounds like jet engine!?

I have an Aprilaire 560 in the attic (attached to a Trane air handler) that makes a lot of high-pitched noise when running. We can hear it 2 floors down its so noisy. It also runs all the time the blower is running as there is no humidistat connected.

I think the noise is due to the amount of water going in to the unit. Can I just turn down the water supply with no ill effect?

Old 11-14-10, 09:09 PM
Jet engine? There is no moving parts/fan in this unit.

When was the last time the pad, and screen been replaced? There is a maint kit for this unit if it has not been done for awhile.

Old 11-15-10, 05:15 AM
K
That’s for your response. OK, might have been a bit dramatic there but it’s a high pitched whistling type noise. Sitting in the living room as I type two floors down and it’s very audible. I changed the water panel evaporator a couple of weeks ago bit it didn’t make a difference.

I had a (very unsatisfactory) heating season service recently and the tech said that I might need to replace the whole unit and would be happy to provide a quote. Before that he said that a humidistat would control/reduce the water flow??

Do you know what else is in the maint kit that when installed might help?

Old 11-15-10, 06:58 AM
The kit will have a new water feeder line, water screen (This maybe your issue)

The water tray is not your issue, but will even out the water flow.

Humidistat should be added so you don't waste the water when humidity is really not needed.

Old 11-15-10, 08:05 AM
K
OK. Do you know if I can buy that kit retail or will I need to have a dealer install it?

Thanks again.

Old 11-15-10, 08:55 AM
K
OK, found a feed tube replacement kit (includes the water screen) online and ordered a new humidistat as well. Hopefully after replaicing the noise will go away. Will post back.

Old 11-15-10, 10:25 AM
Sounds good.. Keep me posted on your results.

Old 11-20-10, 11:51 AM
K
Jay, well the good news is that installing the replacement feed tube kit has fixed the issue with the noise. Assume that the noise was being caused by blocked filter or something.

However, when trying to figure out how I would connect the humistate I noticed that there appears to be 2 aquastats here: the main one (left on the picture – Honeywell) that controls power to the main air handler and a second one (right on the picture – Interstate) that seem to control power to the humidifier? Is this a normal configuration?

IMG00065-20101120-1312.jpg picture by kiethf - Photobucket

Thanks.

Old 11-20-10, 02:00 PM
K
Spaghetti wiring help with Aprilaire 560

My downstairs humidifier (Aprilaire 560) hasn’t worked since last year when we had a new Burnham boiler installed. Following some info in this forum I thought I’d try and work this out but looking at the wiring I am out of my depth. Here’s a Pic…

IMG00072-20101120-1500.jpg picture by kiethf - Photobucket

“A” is the red wire coming back from the humidifier. It is connected to the green “B” wire which is going to a working floor water detector.

“C” is the white wire coming back from the humidifier it is connected to the white wire of “D” which runs 20 ft over to the room with the boiler in it (when the boiler was installed last year the other end of this wasn’t re-connected). I don’t know why power was supplied from the boiler room and not from within the air handler?

Any ideas on what I can do to get the humidifier working and connected to a new humidistat I bought?

Many thanks.

Old 11-20-10, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by KiethF View Post
Jay, well the good news is that installing the replacement feed tube kit has fixed the issue with the noise. Assume that the noise was being caused by blocked filter or something.
Glad to hear that took care of the noise!

and a second one (right on the picture – Interstate) that seem to control power to the humidifier? Is this a normal configuration?
I've never seen this set up before.... Is the humidifier tied to that one?

How is the aquastat taking a reading?

Old 11-20-10, 09:46 PM
Ok, saw your other post after my last post... Please keep your post together.

I am really confused! So wire from the humidifier goes to the aqua stat, then do the mess of wires?

Old 11-21-10, 01:15 PM
K
Sorry for any confusion....

This post was dealing with my upstairs setup with the noise issue (now resolved) and with what appears to be 2 aquastats connected (one controlling the Trane air handler and the other controlling the humidifier).

The other post (spaghetti wiring) was dealing with my downstairs setup.

Old 11-21-10, 02:34 PM
Ok.

Upstairs unit with the Aqua stat, does the humidifier ever shut off, or when the pipes cool down then it shut off?

Downstairs unit, Do you have a humidistat on that one too?

Old 11-21-10, 04:16 PM
K
>>Ok.

>>Upstairs unit with the Aqua stat, does the humidifier ever shut off, or when the pipes cool down then it shut off?

Some historically strange behavior is now getting explained. Prior to the noise issue fixed this weekend you could always hear when the humidifier in the attic was turning on and off. It always seems to come on some time after the blower starts and always runs for minutes after the blower has stopped. I also posted a “there’s a ghost in my attic” type question here in the summer because the humidifier came on a few times “out of the blue” when heating wasn’t even on. Well this explains that too because the attic gets very hot during the summer so this separate aquastat must have been detecting the ambient heat in that room and turning it on. I assume I should remove the second aquastat and wire the humidifier up the standard way with the new humidistat I bought (if I can).

>> Downstairs unit, Do you have a humidistat on that one too?

Not yet – have a new one ready (bought 2 new manual Aprilaires as neither humidifier had a humdistat connected) but I wanted to get the humidifier working again first which is why I was trying to tackle the spaghetti wire issue.

Old 11-21-10, 05:29 PM
There's a couple of things we can do.

Use the "W" and "C" on the air handlers to control the humidifier, and take the Aqua stat out of the picture.

Use of A50 relay or sail switch.

Old 12-07-10, 03:45 PM
K
Sorry for not responding sooner I havent been able to look at this....

So, wiring directly to the air handler would be my preference....this is what the control box looks like.... should it be obvious which are the W and C connectors...?

IMG00077-20101129-0743.jpg picture by kiethf - Photobucket

IMG00074-20101129-0741.jpg picture by kiethf - Photobucket

IMG00078-20101129-0744.jpg picture by kiethf - Photobucket

Last edited by KiethF; 12-07-10 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 06:06 AM
I can't see it in the bunch of wires. but follow the t-stat wire that ties to the air handler, the W wire are the white groups. Not sure if all 3 or what is tied to the stat's W wire. Come to think of it, is there electric heat strips in the air handler?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: