Is there a water softener for a furnace humidifier.

Old 11-17-10, 10:56 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a water softener for a furnace humidifier.

My mother has trouble replacing the evaporator pad of her Aprilaire 400 humidifier attached to her furnace due to her age. I was thinking that if there was a water softener that I could connect to the humidifier then the pad would not have to be replaced as much. Is there a water softener or conditioner that is used with a typical humidifier set up, 1/4 in copper tubing water supply. She does not need a whole house system.

Venta-Sonic has some sort of Demineralization Cartridge they sell for their humidifier so I thought there might be something like that I could connect to her Aprilaire.

Old 11-18-10, 05:08 PM
I've not seen such thing for this set up. How often are you talking about on the pad change out?

The Venta-Sonic Demineralization Cartridge are for free standing units, and no way to tied that into a water line.

Old 11-19-10, 05:14 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Never seen a pad have to be changed more than once a year

Old 11-20-10, 07:59 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For Airman 1994:
I've also got an Aprilaire 400. The manual says to change the panel twice a year.
The reason: The 400 is designed, in part, for use in basements where there is no floor drain, and no place for the water to go once it has passed through the water panel. The water panel has a membrane on it that wicks the "passed through" water back up into the panel, to be evaporated, rather than having it empty into a drain. Supposedly, this membrane looses its wicking ability in half a heating season.

Last edited by Mikedel; 11-20-10 at 08:03 AM. Reason: poor typing kills
Old 11-20-10, 08:52 AM
P
I bought this with my humidifier it gets good reviews on the site but I can't comment yet on how it does as its only been installed for 2 weeks now.

Humiditreat Scale Reducing Inline Filter for Whole House Humidifiers | Nu-Calgon 4190-02

I'm not sure how effective it will be on a 400 since that model doesn't flush. I'm also wondering if mold/mildew wouldn't become more of an issue on the pad if you left it in longer.

Edited: wasn't sure if linking to store sites was allowed so changed to the manufacturer site

Old 11-20-10, 09:06 AM
Learned something new, Didn't know such thing was around. Let us know what your results are with this filter.

Old 11-20-10, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'd be interested as well. Looks like it would work fine for my small garage swamp cooler...but our resident cooler expert said the ones available for coolers didn't really work.

I asked in the water softener area basically a similar question and also got a no go.

Old 11-20-10, 11:53 AM
P
well I got mine from iaqsource and while there weren't a ton of reviews nobody had anything neutral or negative to say about it. some said it extended their pad life. Since this is a newly purchased home and I have no idea how hard or soft the water is and the filter was only 22 dollars I figured why not.

Old 12-06-10, 11:23 AM
G
Thank you for the Humidi treat link.

In retrospect I probably should have got the regular Aprilaire humidifier instead of the 400. What happens is there is a basin at the bottom of where the pad sits. The basin fills up with water and gets sucked up into the pad as it dries out. Scale forms on the bottom of the pad stopping the water from being absorbed back up. You can extend the life of the pad by turning it upside down, Or in the extreme dipping it in a solution of citiric acid to remove the scale. If your house is porous the humidifier runs constantly wearing out the pad. I guess it does use a bit less water.

Old 12-06-10, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Votes on 219 Posts
Why not just run the humidifier off the softened water of the house water supply?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: