aprilaire 700a humidifier leaking from the bottom

Old 11-21-10, 03:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aprilaire 700a humidifier leaking from the bottom

Help ! I just purchased a new aprilaire 700A humidifier to replace my old damaged 700 style and it leaks from the bottom. Heres the meat and potatoes of it all - I had an aprilaire 700 humidifier it was installed on the supply side of my furnace but the drain spud cracked (very small and almost invisible) and made last years heat season a horror trying to figure out where the leak was leaking into the burner compartment.
The price of a new base was insane and more economical to buy a brand new one.
I now installed the new 700a on the return side duct( very tight on the supply side to he drain spud think thats why it cracked). nice and easy install. plenty of room.
tested it out on a test every thing worked fine. When the unit called for a heat run all was working fine then when the unit shut down water came pouring out of the seam where the fan attaches to the base.
I checked the evap tray it was in the drain hole , the evap pad was new. no holes in the feeder tube / tube in the correct spot on top. brand new orfice. very level and plumb. I even turned down the supply water. It still leaks ???? could i just have a defective unit???? Because it on the return side does that make a difference (pulling in air rather then blowing it up)

2- also Is there another way to wire it up when using the a50 relay ?I wired it as the diagram with the unit advised to. The unit is wired up with a A50 relay .Separate transformer for the humidistat to R C. an Outdoor sensor. I have it with a jumper from the R C to the W/G C - this is what I got from the wiring diagram. It seems the humidistat can be on (green light on) but the solenoid only goes on when the blower is on and the need for it (humidity low)

Any advise would help
Ray

Old 11-21-10, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by big daddy ray View Post
When the unit called for a heat run all was working fine then when the unit shut down water came pouring out of the seam where the fan attaches to the base.
Sounds like your return is undersized, and lot of air is being sucked into the drain hose, and holding the water up into the humidifier.

These fan powered unit are best on the supply vs return. When it was running w/ the heat, was the water tricking down the drain line?
?? Because it on the return side does that make a difference (pulling in air rather then blowing it up)

2- also Is there another way to wire it up when using the a50 relay ?
Make/model of the furnace?

Old 11-22-10, 06:09 PM
B
Thanks jay
yes water was trickling down the drain line when it was running with heat..
what I meant by pulling / blowing air... is on the supply side the unit blows air into the duct (like the duct blows out) ...........on the return (the duct seems like it sucks in)..
If the return is undersized any remedies ????

the furnace is a weatherking 80pj 125000 btu .

I know the control board cannot support current robbing T stats. The schematics that came with the unit are pretty cut and dry.
I had the w/g & c on the humidistat connected to the w & c on the furnace board the humidistat came on when the call for heat came then turned off. Then when the blower came on it came back on.
My only issue with the current wiring it seems that the humidistat is on (green light on) , more then it should be. The water solenoid does not open until the blower is on

Old 11-22-10, 09:56 PM
WeatherKing (rheem) is very tight lip about the info online, I am not able to find a diagram on your system to rewire this if we can. Do you have EAC or HUM on the board?

If the water is trickling down the drain, guess the water is not being held back... Make sure the the water hose is in the tray on top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: