Discharge Air Temperature Sensor

Old 11-25-10, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Discharge Air Temperature Sensor

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

As I discussed with Jay in the thermostat forum, I need to get a DATS to use the humidifier during non-heating seasons. I've seen the Honeywell C7835A online. Is this what I should get or do I just need a simpler, cheap(er) temperature sensor? If anyone has a recommended model #, please let me know!

I'm using a Prestige IAQ thermostat.

Also Jay, if you read this, I jumped the yellow wires on the he360 and plugged it in. There was no response at all, so I'm guessing the circuit board is dead. I ordered a new board so I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 11-25-10, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by 00dwan View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Same to you!

I've seen the Honeywell C7835A online. Is this what I should get or do I just need a simpler, cheap(er) temperature sensor?
I am not seeing it listed on this model as add on. I know the VisoinPro IAQ it is needed, and it is listed there. Maybe try it first to see if it works or not?

Also Jay, if you read this, I jumped the yellow wires on the he360 and plugged it in. There was no response at all, so I'm guessing the circuit board is dead. I ordered a new board so I'll let you know how it goes!
Sounds good.. Did you check to be sure you were getting power to the board?

Old 11-25-10, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
I am not seeing it listed on this model as add on. I know the VisoinPro IAQ it is needed, and it is listed there. Maybe try it first to see if it works or not?
Actually that's how I found out about it. It won't let me select the option unless I have a DATS connected. Unfortunately it didn't mention a specific model.

Sounds good.. Did you check to be sure you were getting power to the board?
You mean to check if the 120V is even coming through? Hmm... didn't think of that... any way to check that without a voltage meter?

Old 11-25-10, 07:43 PM
I just found this right now... http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell...aq/50_1558.pdf

Interestingly it lists the c7735a but not the c7835a.

Old 11-25-10, 07:50 PM
I just found this right now..
Interestingly it lists the c7735a but not the c7835a.
I looked at the manual, and it's a two wire hook up, so this may be the one.. The C7835 was a 3 wires.

You mean to check if the 120V is even coming through? Hmm... didn't think of that... any way to check that without a voltage meter?
Nope, unless you want to put your finger on it and find out!!! LOL

Old 11-25-10, 08:02 PM
I looked at the manual, and it's a two wire hook up, so this may be the one.. The C7835 was a 3 wires.
Great, ordering one now!

Nope, unless you want to put your finger on it and find out!!! LOL
Hmm... could be fun!

Old 11-25-10, 08:05 PM
Hmm... could be fun!
NOT! LOL I been zapped a few times, and still here!

Old 11-29-10, 04:59 PM
Ridiculous... I got the new circuit board, tested it, mounted the unit, turned up the thermostat. Fan came on, solenoid clicked, great, but no water comes out of the solenoid. Ok fine, I take the solenoid apart see if I can clean it, inline strainer looks fine, ok maybe I need a new solenoid. Anyway, I put it together to test it again just in case. Turned the tstat back up and now the fan doesn't even turn. I take the humidifier apart, test the voltage and it's getting a nice steady 120v. Jump the yellow wires, no fan spinning. WTF?!?!?! Can a bad solenoid short the circuit board? LOL! Ridiculous... I can't think of a single thing that could have possibly shorted out the BRAND NEW circuit board. Unbelievable.

At this point I might as well buy a new unit rather than replace the solenoid and circuit board. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Seems like these he360's are pretty popular... are they usually sturdy and reliable?

Old 11-29-10, 10:11 PM
Oh man....... :-(

Yes, a bad solenoid can ruin the transformer on the board... The 360 been around while, and not seen any major issue other than yours.

Old 12-10-10, 02:33 PM
Hi Jay, I found out that I CAN use the humidifier without the DATS if I turn the frost protection off. I got the DATS anyway, so I might as well use it. This is a picture of my set up... where can I install the DATS?

The installation guide says to "Locate the DATS on the supply trunk between the bypass damper and the evaporator coil and/or heat exchanger. If a bypass damper is not used, locate the DATS between the zone dampers and the evaporator coil and/or heat exchanger."

Not exactly sure where all those things are located... do I have to go up in my attic?

Old 12-10-10, 03:20 PM
Wow, your house must be clean! (HEPA, and EAC)

The Sensor goes above the A/C coil case.

Old 12-10-10, 03:53 PM
Wow, your house must be clean! (HEPA, and EAC)

The Sensor goes above the A/C coil case.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Then we looked down in the return plenum and there was sawdust and open-faced fiberglass wall insullation in there AFTER THE FILTERS... LOL! A guy who came to check it from the company that installed the system was like "oh, they're all like that." Pfft... Anyway I got someone to wetvac the sawdust out. I should probably get that encapsulated or something one of these days.

About the sensor placement... forgive my ignorance, but where is the a/c coil case? Isn't the coil out in the compressor?

Old 12-10-10, 08:57 PM
A/C is the silver case on top of the furnace with the Carrier logo on it. (large black line and small copper line)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: