Aprilaire Modell 400 Wiring Diagram

Old 12-06-10, 05:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Aprilaire Model 400 Wiring Diagram

I just purchased a Model 400 Aprilaire Humidifier. Installing the actual humidifier was the easy part. I wired it up according to the directions, but I do not get any water in test mode...nor does the solenoid click?

I wired it as follows....

HUM-----------------------Furnace
R-----------------------------R
C-----------------------------C
W----------------------------W

I then wired the two yellow wires from the solenoid to the HH outputs on the Humidistat. When I turn the furnace on and the humidistat dial clockwise, I hear a click from the humidistat, but no water flows out. FWIW...The furnace is running, it's calling fo heat, and the blower is activated.

So, because I got no water in the normal mode, I turned the humidistat to the test mode but still no water? I rotated the "water panel change" switch to A, B, and C, but still nothing. (Manual says it should be on A, so I have set it there)

Is this wired correctly? I have W, Y, R, G and C on my Furnance strip? It's a model 60 humidifier control.

Last edited by mpd68; 12-06-10 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-06-10, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by mpd68 View Post
I wired it up according to the directions,

I then wired the two yellow wires from the solenoid to the HH outputs on the Humidistat.
Did you follow the wire diagram of the install manual?

I am seeing white wire that needs to hooked up as shown in the drawing.

Old 12-07-10, 08:39 AM
M
Jay,

That wiring diagram that I have is slightly different than my humidistat. I have the following connections on humidistat...

R C A B ODT W G H H Gf

and the following on my furnace...

W Y R G C

I wired it to the furnace as follows....

HUM--------------Furnace
R-------------------R
C-------------------C
W------------------W

I then took the two wires from the solenoid on the humidifier and put one each in H H on the humidistat.

This is the maunal that came with mine...

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/products/60wiring.pdf

I see no reason to use the transformer wiring (as shown) because I am getting the power to the humidistat from the R & C terminals on the furnace. Do I need a jumper anywhere? I want it to come on only when it calls for heat, which is why I have the W on the humidistat wired to the W terminal on my furnace.

Thanks.

Old 12-08-10, 06:13 AM
Is your furnace newer or older? Make and model?

Since you are not using the transformer, it's not going to work. So there is a couple of other ways we can make it work, but will wait till I hear back from you.

Old 12-08-10, 03:11 PM
M
Jay,

I have a Heil heating unit. The model number is NUGE075BG01.

I actually got it working today. I had a 120/24vac plug adapter sitting around the house from my old humidifier. I plugged that in and hooked-up the the wires to the solenoid...and it opened. This confirmed that the solenoid was actually working.

Similiar to the one shown here: Buy 8029 Aprilaire 24VAC Plug-in Transformer | Aprilaire 8029

Because that powered the solenoid, I took some thermostat wire and ran it from one side of the plug adapter to one of the the H outputs on the humidistat. I ran t-stat wire from the other H output on the humidistat to one of the solenoid wires on the humidifier. I then wired the other solenoid wire to the remaining screw on the 24vac plug-adapter. I guess this is how it's wired in the digram, but instead, they're using the 24vac transformer provided.

Is the 24vac plug-adapter adequate, or should I have the 24vac transformer hard-wired by an electrician? Aprilaire sells the plug-adapters, so I am not sure why they just don't provide one of those with the unit?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-10, 04:50 PM
You can use the plug in Transformer if you wish. The furnace has 120v HUM hook up. You can wire your hardwired transformer onto this if you want to do that instead of the plug in.

Another thing we can do is add a jumper and take the transformer out of the picture all together.

Old 12-08-10, 06:29 PM
H
Is the manual resistor installed?

Hi mpd68,
From what I gathered form your post( i skimmed though them briefly)
Your probably using the manual humidistat and not the digital one. If you were using the digital one it would probably read "E3" If your not using the out door sensor you need to put the manual resistor in the humidistat ( lilttle plastic jumper wire included with kit) a regular wire jumper will not do you any good it hads to have a resistor in it. If you have already done this than Im not sure what else it could be but that was a problem I had with one earlier today!
Hope this helps

Old 12-08-10, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by hvac1983 View Post
Hi mpd68,
From what I gathered form your post( i skimmed though them briefly)
Your probably using the manual humidistat and not the digital one. If you were using the digital one it would probably read "E3" If your not using the out door sensor you need to put the manual resistor in the humidistat ( lilttle plastic jumper wire included with kit) a regular wire jumper will not do you any good it hads to have a resistor in it. If you have already done this than Im not sure what else it could be but that was a problem I had with one earlier today!
Hope this helps
HVAC1983,

He did not have power supplied between the H and the humidifier itself. He now added a transfromer as the install manual shows for.

Old 12-09-10, 02:16 PM
M
Thanks, Jay and HVAC1983.

Jay - How can I eliminate the plug-in transformer? I don't mind having it, but if i can elimiante the transformer all togther, that would be great!

Old 12-09-10, 02:37 PM
Ok, here how you could do it with out the transformer. FYI, if the furnace or the control is acting up, then we will have to undo this and go back to the transformer.

Take one of the wire from H to C.

Add a jumper wire from R to H.

Old 12-09-10, 05:46 PM
M
Should I go to the furnace board (R & C terminals), or can I use jumper wires from R on the Humidistat to H...and C on the Humidista to H?

Old 12-09-10, 08:44 PM
Do this on the humidistat.

No, Move one of the H wire to C. Add a jumper wire from R to the empty H.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: