Aprilair Humidifier not putting any humidity in the house!

Old 12-08-10, 11:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aprilair Humidifier not putting any humidity in the house!

I had an aprilair humidifier since last year. It's never seem to make a difference. I go down there when the heat is on and it does say it's turned on.

When the heat is off it will say its @ 21% humidity. This matches my handheld meter that measures humidity. Now when I turn the heat on then it will go between 39-45%. (Very odd since it jumps to this right away and the air in the house doesn't seem to be that high. I get shocked all the time!) Although my handheld meter doesn't change from 21%. If I put the handheld meter at any of the vents in my house it will go below 20% and say LO. If I put the handheld meter on my portable humidifier it will shoot up to 45-60% when it's on. If I take it into the bathroom crank the shower on hot and let it steam it goes up to 30%. If I breath on it, it will go to 50-60%. My point is my meter seems to be working but even though my humidifier is 'on' and appears to be working all the vents in the house show its pushing out nothing but dry air.

Any ideas what's going on? My heating/ac guy is going to replace the controller under warranty to see if that is causing an issue.

Thanks for any idea/help on this. It's really annoying buying something like this and then it not making any difference in humidity in the house. If I hookup the portable in the room I'm in and crank it my handheld meter goes up. If I leave the heat on all day it doesn't go up at all. It just seems like my unit is well defective

Old 12-08-10, 02:31 PM
S
What is the distance on the plenum between the humidifier and the humidistat? Could the flow out of the humidifier reach back to the humidistat? When I installed mine it required at least 6" of separation......

Edit: And btw, what type of humidifier do you have? (steam, fan, bypass)?

Old 12-08-10, 06:15 PM
We will need more info like screwy has asked for.

Old 12-09-10, 06:55 AM
D

Hey screwy. I tried to reply yesterday , but the website must have been having issues. I would login multiples times and it would just bring me the login page. Tried from work and at home. Now it's working again!

Ok, here's the deal. I would say from the actual aprilair 600 unit to the control unit is maybe 2-3 feet tops. Not sure why they would have to be so far apart? The humidifier portion is hooked right into the hot air going out of my furnace (hot water hookup not cold) and the controller digital thermostat and controls is on the return air ductwork.

BTW the 600 is a fan humidifier.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Don

Old 12-09-10, 07:02 AM
The set up is correct, so it's not getting a false reading from the humidifier itself. Is there a hole on the back side of the humidistat for it to get a reading into the return air?

Old 12-09-10, 07:56 AM
D
yes there is a hole punched into it and it's reading it from there.

Old 12-09-10, 08:03 AM
Is there fresh air pipe tied into your return?

Old 12-09-10, 10:34 AM
D
My bad i just looked its a 700 series not 600 and yes fresh air pipe is dequired by code here.

Old 12-09-10, 10:36 AM
Is this fresh air pipe right into the return duct? If so, you may be getting the false reading from this when them system is pulling in the air from outside.

Old 12-09-10, 12:41 PM
D
Yes, see this link you can see it coming in.

I also attached two other pictures of my setup.

The installer was out again today. Are we correct to assume the heat coming out of the vents should be high humidity? We put our meters on the vent and it actually goes down from the normal humidity level of 21-23% in the room to about 14-17% coming through the vent. Even as little as a vent 3-4 feet from the humidifier is going down.

I just don't understand it. It's running but our house isn't getting anymore humid!

http://www.mailwebsol.com/humid.jpg

Old 12-09-10, 03:35 PM
With the fresh air so close, it going to make the reading jump up and down.

What reading are you getting in the room itself on your hand held reader?

Looks like there's no control on that fresh air, and not sure where you are from, but when you heat up very cold air, it is going to dry out fast. So maybe that's why the humidifier it having a hard time catching up.

Old 12-09-10, 06:26 PM
D
reading is 21-23%. Only thing I can think of is when the heat is on the air is moving and it goes up to 40%ish. Now maybe the humidifier doesn't put out as much vapor into the air then because it thinks its @ 40% already when it's really only @ 21-23%.

Any solutions to fix this? right now this has been a total waste of money not improving the moisture in my house at all.

If I put my humidity meter on a heat vent in the house when the humidifier is on it should go up and it only reads abouy 14-17% pushing out at all times.

Old 12-09-10, 08:42 PM
Set the humidist setting to the highest setting, and see if it goes up.

I've never taken a reading in front of the vent before, so I not sure if that reading is normal or not.. But as I said, when you warm up cold air, it will dry out fast!

Old 12-09-10, 11:19 PM
D
yes already at highest setting. I've taken readings all over the house. So basically this humidifier is worthless to me if it can't make my house more humid then 21-23% (which it was pre-this humidifier)

Old 12-10-10, 06:28 AM
Have you taken the humidifier off the case, to make sure the air flow is not blocked by the A/C coil?

For testing, shove a towel into the fresh air vent from outside. let it go for a day.

Old 12-10-10, 07:33 AM
D
I can try that next, but I doubt it will help. That's the only place I'm getting my humidity from. Well, until it's heated up. The very first vent you can see in the picture. It's about 3 feet from the humidifier and it's pushing out dry air there already. Very disappointing!

Old 12-10-10, 08:41 AM
For kicks I put my reading on my vent to see what it reads when the furnace ran with the humidifier going and I got 25% reading. (the house is 39%)

Kinda complex, when the air is heated the humidity reading will go lower, but once the temps drops, the air mass changes, and the humidity goes up.

Old 12-10-10, 08:44 AM
D
Interesting. My two friends who I had both do it both said their meters when up to higher then there RH in their house. My meter is still unchanged at 21% in my house though. So it's not going anywhere even after a fulls day of use.

My buddy said he turns his up to 40% and he had it at 30% the air coming out of his vent was ~42%

Old 12-10-10, 08:50 AM
He may of head a reading right next to the humidifier itself for a reading to get that high? I know it took me awhile to get this temp/humidity thing in my head back in college!

Old 12-10-10, 09:41 AM
D
Not sure, but bottom line is my meter sitting on my kitchen counter should defintely be above 21% humidity and it's not...right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: