Honeywell HE220A to Lennox G26 Furnace

Old 12-11-10, 08:01 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell HE220A to Lennox G26 Furnace

Hello all. I'm looking for some reassurance on a first time installation of a Honeywell HE220A Humidifier with my Lennox G26 furnace. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

From what I've read I'm sure that I can mount the humidifier at location #1 and the humidistat at location #2 roughly around 6" above the Humidifier on the cold air return. I don't see any other choice because of the limited duct space I have to work with. Unfortunetly I don't have any room between the wall and the back of the ducts. I think I will want to tie into the hot water line to feed the Humidifier because of the cold air return I am using. The drain is in the floor directly in front of the furnace.

The question I have is weither or not I can install the bypass duct port into location #3 or #4. Location #3 is at a 45 degree angle going into the supply duct and location #4 is 90 degrees into the supply duct. Would installing the bypass in either spot not work because the bypass wouldn't be vertically mounted like the Humidifier, or does that really matter?

It also sounds like I can wire the humidifier into the furnace to turn it on and off and forget installing the sail switch. I think I still need to wire up the transformer as the furnace doesn't supply power, correct? What would I tie my wires into on the Control Board? (Lennox G26 M/N: G26Q3/4-100-5)

This may be a silly question, but does it matter when you mount any of these items on the duct that they are squared? I'm concerned because the Humidifier at #1 cannot be squared up in the middle of the duct due to the lines coming off of the water heater. I think I could square the Humidistat and the bypass port at location #4 but if the bypass port was installed at location #3, it couldn't be. Wasn't sure if these things had to be square on the duct to work right or not. Really wish I had more space to work with!!

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-10, 01:35 PM
E
Are you not interested in moving the PVC? If you could put a 90 6 inches up in the middle pipe and have it go vertical to where is goes straight up next to the supply duct, you could then put the Humidifier right in front on the furnace supply where it should be. Then your bypass could come out where it should be also. It might not even be more work to do that, just more PVC work.

Old 12-11-10, 02:10 PM
H
I was hoping not to do anymore work but if I have to move the PVC to make this work I will. The A/C coil(s) should sit low enough in the plenum to make room for the Humidifier, correct? I take it there is an issue with my plan for the bypass duct mounted on the horizontal duct?

If I move the PVC, does the rest of my plan listed work? I guess that's really where I need the reassurance.

Last edited by Homeskillet; 12-11-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Homeskillet View Post
From what I've read I'm sure that I can mount the humidifier at location #1 and the humidistat at location #2 roughly around 6" above the Humidifier on the cold air return.
You could move it onto the side of the duct (above the green sticker) I can't see you having room to mount it on 1 or 2 spot.
I think I will want to tie into the hot water line to feed the Humidifier because of the cold air return I am using. The drain is in the floor directly in front of the furnace.
Hot water is fine on either the return mount or supply mount. The air will always go from the supply side of the system to the return.

The question I have is weither or not I can install the bypass duct port into location #3 or #4. Location #3 is at a 45 degree angle going into the supply duct and location #4 is 90 degrees into the supply duct. Would installing the bypass in either spot not work because the bypass wouldn't be vertically mounted like the Humidifier, or does that really matter?
It don't matter. I have mine on #4 spot. If you got room on #3, go for it.

It also sounds like I can wire the humidifier into the furnace to turn it on and off and forget installing the sail switch. I think I still need to wire up the transformer as the furnace doesn't supply power, correct? What would I tie my wires into on the Control Board?
You will need to wire a transformer to HGT ACC. on the board.

Be sure to mount the humidstat above the humidifier on the return side.

Old 12-20-10, 03:06 PM
H
Hello All. I now have everything installed and all that's left is the last bit of wiring. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Now I'm trying to decipher how to wire up to the ICB. I hooked up the wires from the Humidifier to the Humidistat per the diagram (thanks Jay). I now have 1 pair of white and red wires coming from the Humidistat and I'm just lost on how to wire into the ICB. My board doesn't have HUM, so I think that is why you said...

You will need to wire a transformer to HGT ACC. on the board.
How do I do this with the pair of wires coming from the Humidistat? Does the black transformer that came in the install kit need to be wired up or am I still pulling power from the board? Is it as simple as hooking up [Red -> HGT ACC -AND- White -> C]??

If the transformer has to be involved, I think there is something missing from the diagram in my case (your diagram was excellent, BTW). Got any other diagrams or am I just missing something? Thanks!

EDIT: I think I need to wire the red and white that I'm left with to the transformer and plug it in to the wall. But then I'm lost on how the furnace contacts the solenoid to open when it needs to.

Last edited by Homeskillet; 12-20-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 08:41 PM
What is the make and model of your furnace?

Old 12-21-10, 02:59 PM
H
Lennox G26 M/N: G26Q3/4-100-5

Please let me know if that isn't right or you need more. I've been trying to glean info from other posts and it almost sounds like since I'm not using a sail switch, my leftover red and white wires need to go to the transformer and the transformer is plugged into a wall socket that is wired to the ICB. The 110v is supplied when the board closes the circuit, thus powering the transformer and turning on the humidifier system. Sound correct? If so, what points on the ICB do I wire a receptacle to and what gauge wire to use to wire up the receptacle? Thanks for your patience and help!

Old 12-21-10, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Homeskillet View Post
I hooked up the wires from the Humidifier to the Humidistat per the diagram (thanks Jay). I now have 1 pair of white and red wires coming from the Humidistat
How many wires are on your humdistat? The standard dial type has only 2.

Does the black transformer that came in the install kit need to be wired up
Is this a plug in style or hard wired?

or am I still pulling power from the board? Is it as simple as hooking up [Red -> HGT ACC -AND- White -> C]??
Yes.

Old 12-22-10, 02:17 PM
H
I think I'm all set now, Jay. To make a long story short, this was the missing component that I installed today -

I now get water flow on a heat call, no water drainage when the furnace shuts off, and a way to turn it all off anytime I want.

Thanks for the help here and MANY other posts I read through.

Anthony

Old 12-22-10, 03:27 PM
Glad to help Anthony. Only thing I'd suggest is get a wire grommet or wire clamp on that open hole.