Whole house humidifier issue or not?

Old 12-18-10, 07:05 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house humidifier issue or not?

I have a Lennox WB2-17 working with my Bryant 95s furnace and Evolution Control thermostat. I had this system for less than a year and this winter I noticed that my humidifier is not functioning properly, or at all. Dust flying, dry skin, itchy throat- the whole shabang. The pad was dry, as well as the discharge hose. I pulled up all the manuals for the furnace, thermostat and the humidifier and noticed in big bold letters in the thermostat manual that the humidifier should NOT be connected to the typical humidistat, it should be directly connected to my bryant evolution. So that's what I did, I bypassed the manual humidistat and connected the water valve directly to the wiring from furnace and it seems to finally work as I heard the water flowing, although only when the evolution thermostat is set to 40% or 45%. Basically, I wonder if I resolved the issue correctly, since this was installed by licensed and reputable HVAC company.

Second Issue: I am quite aware that my humidifier model uses up 17 gallons of water per day. However, from what I noticed, most of those 17 gallons are flowing straight to the drain. I decided to rectify this issue by adjusting the water flow using a saddle valve that is used for water connection. It seems to work well, since I noticed that the drain flow reduced significantly, and the pad is still wet. I also monitor the indoor humidity and it raises to the set value. So is there a downside to this, since I know there is nothing easy in this world?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-10, 06:24 AM
Sounds like you fixed the problem. Lucky nothing got damaged when it was not wired up right.

2-It could use 17 gallons if the unit ran non-stop 24 hours. I don't advise shutting down the valve. It may be reaching the set point, but it may have to run longer to reach that point than short cycle, and no saving is seen.

Old 12-19-10, 07:32 AM
X
Yep, I thought about the fact that it would take longer to reach the setting. However, the top of the pad where water is distributed is still full of water, it just doesn't overflow to the drain as it did before.

Old 12-20-10, 06:02 AM
You want some water to go down the drain. The water flushes out junk and what not. These unit are designed that way.

I tried shutting mine down and see, and it fell way behind when it got really cold. out.