can I drain humidifier into city sewer

Old 12-19-10, 04:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I drain humidifier into city sewer

I have a humidifier that is currently being drained into our sump-pump pan. The problem is that my sump-pump is getting triggered several times a day. I'd rather save the sump for emergency purposes. Fortunately there is a household pipe that's reachable from the humidifier. That pipe is only being used to drain the wet bar sink across the wall to the house main drain stack. Could I redirect my flexible humidifier tube into that 2" pipe? The flexible tube is 3/4". If this is not against code, what fittings and reducers exist that would afford this connection? Some sort of 2" tee reducer? Do I need a p-trap? Would such a connection need to be permanently sealed? The flexible tube should poke comfortably into a 1" diameter pipe.

Old 12-20-10, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not aware of any codes out there on this, so you can drain this.

If you can T into this drain pipe, do the 1 1/2" pipe with a trap as if you are going to be putting a wash machine drain hose into it. Then just let the humidifier drain hose drop into the stand pipe. DO NOT seal it up. In the summer month, you may have to put some water in there to keep the trap filled, unless you put your A/C drain into this as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: