Not enough humidity

Old 02-16-11, 10:30 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The humidistats are actually "in line" with the humidifiers, ie. not upstream or downstream. On the downstairs unit, it is sort of "jammed" just below the humidifier on the same face of the return. On the upstairs unit, it is on the top whereas the humidifier is on the side, but it is at the same point of the return.

ddonia - for some reason I had a feeling you were in NC, but definitely interesting you're also in Charlotte!

Old 02-16-11, 06:04 PM
Downstairs unit kinda bother me.. Can you please take a photo of both units for me?

Old 02-16-11, 07:05 PM
C
The first photo is downstairs (crawlspace), second is upstairs (attic).

On the first, the humidistat is visible behind the drainage pipe. Incidentally, I checked where it's "on" point was just now, and it was up over 60, even though rh in the house is still just over 30%. So I've now moved it up even further to the "ON" setting (I guess the humidistat is currently useless). This humidistat is not secured with screws, it's just stuck into the foam duct at an area where there is no metal within the foam (I'm assuming the humidifier is just glued on). We aren't real crazy with the work the electrical/HVAC subcontractor did, by the way.

The second floor humidistat is visible on top of the return duct:

Old 02-16-11, 07:22 PM
I don't like it how it's set up.

It don't seems like the downstairs unit is not really "bypassing"? Is the 6" side duct tied to the return still or is that the supply?

Where it's at on the upstairs unit may get a false reading...

As HVAC brought up, the humidistat may need to be moved to the living space.

Old 02-16-11, 07:44 PM
C
It does bypass on both units - it's a long 6" duct that wraps around out of the picture to the hot air supply.

My guess is that neither humidistat can give an accurate reading of the room air because it's so close to the humidifier. Another problem is that the return plenum is just a little longer than the humidifier, so there isn't a space 8" upstream from the humidifier to mount it.

How much of a pain would moving the humidistat to the living space be? I think I've seen combination thermostat/humidistats, would that be an option? And is it worth doing all of that or should I just leave it at "ON" setting so that the humidifier always turns on with the furnace? I don't really like that idea since I assume I'd have to frequently monitor the room air and turn the humidifier off if it gets too high.

Old 02-16-11, 08:24 PM
Just follow the t-stat wire from the unit and should be able to fish the wire from there.

If you can't fish new wire, then you can upgrade the t-stat to the Honeywell IAQ stat. They are kinda spendy if you have two system.

Is your system gas or heat pump?

Old 02-16-11, 08:39 PM
C
These are gas. I had thought about the IAQ and I like that option. What has to be done, at the furnace/humidifier, so that the thermostat controls the humidifier? The wires to the current humidistat come from within the furnace body.

Old 02-17-11, 04:53 AM
D
Hi Jay,

I do hear a click at the humidistat after I turn it beyond whatever % it seems to think the house is at (35% vs the 17% I'm showing on a digital humidistat I have on my desk), but I cannot hear anything at the solenoid. It's hard to tell because of the furnace noise but I don't seem to hear anything up there. Thanks

Old 02-17-11, 06:54 AM
Go to the furnace, and then have someone turn the humidistat up and down for you.

Old 02-21-11, 06:56 AM
D
There is a click at the furnace but it sounds like that is more from the unit fan clicking on and off. I do not believe that it is coming from the solenoid.

Old 02-21-11, 06:58 AM
Then you may want to make sure you are getting power there.. If you have power, and no click, then the valve may need to be replaced.

Old 02-21-11, 08:59 AM
D
I am getting power so it must be a dead solenoid. That's unfortunate because the unit is only 6 weeks old....maybe if I yell loud enough they will send me one for free! Thanks for all of your help.

Old 02-21-11, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
if you remove the incoming side of the solenoid there is a small orifice that may be plugged up with sediment. You can try to ream this out with a piece of a wire brush

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: